Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Mixing Vette Panel Adhesive

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 08:28 AM
grumman41
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Mixing Vette Panel Adhesive

Applying and sanding VPA has been well covered but how do you measure or judge the ratio of base to cream hardener? Also, what is a good thing to mix on for quick cleanup?

Kevin
Old 10-26-2014, 05:57 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by grumman41
Applying and sanding VPA has been well covered but how do you measure or judge the ratio of base to cream hardener? Also, what is a good thing to mix on for quick cleanup?

Kevin
Kevin...The amount of hardener subject to change due to what you are doing and the air temps at the time. There is NO 'have to' amount. Actually...there is...OBVIOUSLY you have to get enough in there to get it to harden. This is why I tell people to slow down and do tests to find out the color you are looking for. Becasue ...when you add the blue hardener to the gray VPA...it will make color that you can match...unless the person is color blind

As I have told Forum members who have called me...as a gauge of reference...and as like I wrote above...air temps and product temps make this change. But..if you have the volume of a golf ball. Add 1 inch of cream hardener and see how it does. In the winter time I add more hardener than I would in the heat of the summer....depending on what I am trying to accomplish. So you questions is 'tricky'....it all depends. In my opinion...I want the mixes all consistent...and no two mixes being really far off in color.

I mix on a sheet of aluminum. I clean it off IMMEDIATELY after applying the product with lacquer thinner. If I am mixing a large volume and have to hold a part while it sets or know that I will not be able to clean off my mixing board. I use something that I do not care about and throw it away.

DUB
Old 10-26-2014, 07:43 PM
grumman41
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Thanks DUB, this gives me a starting point.

Kevin
Old 10-30-2014, 10:50 AM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Received 568 Likes on 445 Posts

Default My experience..

First of all, DUB knows more than I will ever know, but I can share my experience which might be helpful.

I glued a new press molded hood surround to my 72 with original fenders recently and used Ecklers Restoration Formula which is a Vette Panel Adhesive or VPA, I think. I called the vendor in Oregon and he told me the directions on the can would result in a very quick set up in warm weather. He said 12 drops on a golf ball size piece would set up in 20 to 25 minutes at 70 to 75 degrees. He said to mix up some batches and test the times.

In my case, I glued one side of the hood surround at a time using the Glas Ray videos. I waited until I had a dry day 60F in the morning and warming to 85 in the afternoon. There are some other guides on the internet too for polyester resins, so after some study, I settled on 1%. So, I measured 1 quart of glue and 9ml of hardener and mixed it in a container. I got all of the glue on in about 20 min early in the morning and an hour later, the stuff still had not set. A couple of hours later when the temp started getting around 70 to 75, the glue started hardening and an hour later at 80+, the glue was hard as a rock.

Hope this might help. I am thinking ambient temp has a lot to do with this stuff working correctly, as of course, how much hardener you add.

Last edited by 20mercury; 10-30-2014 at 10:52 AM.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:51 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by 20mercury
First of all, DUB knows more than I will ever know, but I can share my experience which might be helpful.

I glued a new press molded hood surround to my 72 with original fenders recently and used Ecklers Restoration Formula which is a Vette Panel Adhesive or VPA, I think. I called the vendor in Oregon and he told me the directions on the can would result in a very quick set up in warm weather. He said 12 drops on a golf ball size piece would set up in 20 to 25 minutes at 70 to 75 degrees. He said to mix up some batches and test the times.

In my case, I glued one side of the hood surround at a time using the Glas Ray videos. I waited until I had a dry day 60F in the morning and warming to 85 in the afternoon. There are some other guides on the internet too for polyester resins, so after some study, I settled on 1%. So, I measured 1 quart of glue and 9ml of hardener and mixed it in a container. I got all of the glue on in about 20 min early in the morning and an hour later, the stuff still had not set. A couple of hours later when the temp started getting around 70 to 75, the glue started hardening and an hour later at 80+, the glue was hard as a rock.

Hope this might help. I am thinking ambient temp has a lot to do with this stuff working correctly, as of course, how much hardener you add.
I am glad to read that some people still do test mixes to see how a product works.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Mixing Vette Panel Adhesive

Quick Reply: Mixing Vette Panel Adhesive