Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

What would Corvette forum do? Front Bumper C5

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 02:35 PM
Talon2006
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default What would Corvette forum do? Front Bumper C5

I am debating if I should tackle these repairs with some spray paint, or pay the money to have a body shop do it. I feel like I could do a decent repair with spray paint but am not sure how happy I will be or how long they will last. I almost think my best bet, would be to just spray paint the whole bumper.

If i took it to the body ship, I would probably just have the whole front bumper cover sprayed, and maybe the scratch on the fender repaired. Other then that the car maybe has 2-3 dozen chips or small scratches that I either don't really care about as they are not too noticeable, or could repair using the method listed above on the sticky. Most of those are on the hood.

Here are some pictures of the front bumper chips..

Fender scrach

Example of other small scratches that I think could be fixed using the sicky method

Basically looking for some guidance from the wiser members in this topic. I have painted things before with spray paint with good results, but not sure if this is feasible.
Old 01-05-2015, 06:18 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

It all boils down to what you want and what you can live with.

Not knowing the paint code...it is hard to tell if this is the tri-stage color or not.

I would have to bet that this cover has already been shot on or replaced due to how the paint is popping off....which raises my concerns about proper adhesion PRIOR to the paint being applied. 'Normally' GM's paint does not pop off....but I have seen it do it.

If you are talking about using a 'rattle can' (aerosol) and paint it...that is up to you. You have to be careful on what is used on it so it will stick due to being a flexible part.

IF you choose to take it to a shop...hopefully you have shop that DOES THINGS RIGHT and not strictly a PRODUCTION shop.

IF you came by my shop...I would let you know that if I strictly repaired these areas and did touch-ups and blending...I COULD NOT nor WOULD NOT be liable for any paint popping off where I did not properly prep and paint it. Kinda ridiculous that some people 'think' that just because it got painted...and it WAS NOT STRIPPED down to bare urethane ( when they were told and they can see the paint is popping off easily)....that they still feel it is my responsibility to re-paint everything again....FOR FREE....WHEN they did not want to PAY for stripping or parts replacement in the first place.

SO...make your intention CLEAR to the shop....and if you do not do it ALL CORRECTLY...you can not expect it to LAST....simple as that!

Also...fi yoau re going to goa round teh acr and have small nicks and chips removed....I would tell you this...that each panel that has a chip/nick in it will require that panel to be clearcoated completely. AS for 'blending the color...that all depends on it location and if the chip/nick is on an edge (or very close to an edge of an adjacent panel) that will then effect the adjacent panels color match and then IT has to be blended and cleared. So....this is what I call a 'Texas blend'. Starting off at one end of the car and by the time you go around it...darn near every panel will need to be prepped and painted/cleared to make the color match...hence the size of the job just grew to the size of the state of Texas.....even though all I am doing are very small nicks and chips....but trying to touch them up with a paint brush...is POINTLESS and will look like CRAP....which is why I wrote I did in the very first sentence of this reply.

DUB
Old 01-05-2015, 08:31 PM
Talon2006
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Dub, you are probably right! It does look resprayed too. I have a feeling this car might have been wreaked before... not sure.

I feel I might just keep looking on ebay for a replacement bumper and find one in good condition.

How far are you from gatlinburg? Just curious, to strip down and repaint this what would the going price be? I am pretty sure it is Light Toreador Metallic Clearcoat 53/WA307D.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:43 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Talon2006
Dub, you are probably right! It does look resprayed too. I have a feeling this car might have been wreaked before... not sure.

I feel I might just keep looking on ebay for a replacement bumper and find one in good condition.

How far are you from gatlinburg? Just curious, to strip down and repaint this what would the going price be? I am pretty sure it is Light Toreador Metallic Clearcoat 53/WA307D.
I would be careful on getting used bumper...beacsue unless you have an 'eye' to know what to look for...you can end up with the same problem...or even worse. If used is your only option....then I would make sure you go and look at it. And do not 'think' that a few small problems in the bumper you plan on buying are EASY to fix. Urethane is some touchy stuff...especially when a person is looking for NO PROBLEMS in the future.

I prefer new bumpers.

I have no clue on how afar away Gatlinburg is from Charlotte...maybe do a Map Quest from your location to the Charlotte Douglas Airport...because I am really close to it.

AS for your color code....I will look into it tomorrow and get back with you.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To What would Corvette forum do? Front Bumper C5

Quick Reply: What would Corvette forum do? Front Bumper C5