Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Single part bonding adhesive

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 04:34 PM
jerry gollnick
Burning Brakes

Received 253 Likes on 127 Posts

Default Single part bonding adhesive

Anybody aware of single stage in a caulk gun type bonding adhesive for C1 panel bonding. Or a two part that mixes in the nozzle and can be applied like a caulk gun? I've gotta think that in 50 years the science of adhesives would make this possible.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:16 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by jerry gollnick
Anybody aware of single stage in a caulk gun type bonding adhesive for C1 panel bonding. Or a two part that mixes in the nozzle and can be applied like a caulk gun? I've gotta think that in 50 years the science of adhesives would make this possible.
YES...some of the current manufacturers are going to using a standard caulking tube .....MAINLY so people do not have to buy an expensive special gun to use their product. I have not used any as of yet...but I still feel that the product will require an intermix tube attached to the end of the caulking tube itself.

An adhesive that is not catalyzed is often time moisture cured. Much like windshield urethane.

Regardless of advancements in adhesive technology...and I use a lot of the new 'crash' adhesives that are SUPER WICKED. In some areas of the old Corvettes (pre-1984)....I will NOT use it. Mainly due to most of the areas that I deal with will either cause this adhesive to be partially exposed at and edge of a panel or where a seam is going to be filled. AND when I talk with many of the chemists and tech departments of the companies that make and sell the stuff....when I ask very specific questions....there is often times 'dead silence'...which tells me that I need to keep doing my repairs the same as I have been doing for a very long time without any problems. Because on the older Corvettes.... I do not need to buy a 2 part tubed adhesive that gives me enough working time...because I know how to test mix my adhesive and get the working time I need. Which I can make take longer to set-up than what is offered in cartridge tube.

This is just my opinion from EXPERIENCE and even though I know many others have used 'this-and that' when repairing their old Corvette with success (as they say)....which is entirely up to them...and I am glad for them if it did work...BUT...I have seen the effects of using it in the wrong spot. I do not ALWAYS 'buy into' using the new easy to apply products to make the job go faster and take less THOUGHT to do it. With my luck...if I did a persons Corvette AGAIN with it and it failed...they would be bitching at me for using something that was easier and was not 'like factory'...when they were paying me to get it RIGHT....which I have done 20+ years ago and choose not to go down that path again. REGARDLESS of the improvements in the adhesives that I have noticed over those 20+ years.

DUB
Old 02-02-2015, 09:33 AM
jerry gollnick
Burning Brakes

Received 253 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
YES...some of the current manufacturers are going to using a standard caulking tube .....MAINLY so people do not have to buy an expensive special gun to use their product. I have not used any as of yet...but I still feel that the product will require an intermix tube attached to the end of the caulking tube itself.

An adhesive that is not catalyzed is often time moisture cured. Much like windshield urethane.

Regardless of advancements in adhesive technology...and I use a lot of the new 'crash' adhesives that are SUPER WICKED. In some areas of the old Corvettes (pre-1984)....I will NOT use it. Mainly due to most of the areas that I deal with will either cause this adhesive to be partially exposed at and edge of a panel or where a seam is going to be filled. AND when I talk with many of the chemists and tech departments of the companies that make and sell the stuff....when I ask very specific questions....there is often times 'dead silence'...which tells me that I need to keep doing my repairs the same as I have been doing for a very long time without any problems. Because on the older Corvettes.... I do not need to buy a 2 part tubed adhesive that gives me enough working time...because I know how to test mix my adhesive and get the working time I need. Which I can make take longer to set-up than what is offered in cartridge tube.

This is just my opinion from EXPERIENCE and even though I know many others have used 'this-and that' when repairing their old Corvette with success (as they say)....which is entirely up to them...and I am glad for them if it did work...BUT...I have seen the effects of using it in the wrong spot. I do not ALWAYS 'buy into' using the new easy to apply products to make the job go faster and take less THOUGHT to do it. With my luck...if I did a persons Corvette AGAIN with it and it failed...they would be bitching at me for using something that was easier and was not 'like factory'...when they were paying me to get it RIGHT....which I have done 20+ years ago and choose not to go down that path again. REGARDLESS of the improvements in the adhesives that I have noticed over those 20+ years.

DUB
Good Grief......

Get notified of new replies

To Single part bonding adhesive

Quick Reply: Single part bonding adhesive