Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Can you (I ) spray clear and not have to cut & buff?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 10:09 PM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Can you (I ) spray clear and not have to cut & buff?

I'll be using either a Devilbus Copper with the HE 7E7 cap or the Devilbus Pro Lite with either the HE TE1O or TE20 cap. This will be a new gun for me. What's chances of not having to C&B?
Thanks.
Old 08-13-2015, 05:35 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by TWINRAY
I'll be using either a Devilbus Copper with the HE 7E7 cap or the Devilbus Pro Lite with either the HE TE1O or TE20 cap. This will be a new gun for me. What's chances of not having to C&B?
Thanks.
Who knows....so much depends on your mix and all of the pother variables...when it comes to trying to get a finish so tight in the orange peel category that you do not need to cut and buff.

It will require you testing and practicing. I KNOW this is not the answer you are looking for....but ...even if you had a gun just like mine....I could get the finish as you want it to look ...but maybe you could not...and that has to due with your air pressure in RELATION to how you set the PATTERN and your FLUID CONTROL....then comes the distance from the panel and your travel speed....and all of this can change when the air temperatures and humidity change.

So...even if I used my gun for shooting gelcoat...which has s huge needle and nozzle...I could adjust the gun so I could apply clear and have it looking good...but I would have to test it a few times until I got it 'dialed-in'.

DUB
Old 08-16-2015, 03:18 PM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Yea, guess a yes/ no answer isn't in the cards for this question. Thanks DUB for the reply, Fred
Old 08-16-2015, 03:48 PM
porchdog
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

if you have a killer booth and are really good then yes you can . the closest you'll get is finding a guy from macco and putting him in a great booth .
Old 08-16-2015, 05:49 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by TWINRAY
Yea, guess a yes/ no answer isn't in the cards for this question. Thanks DUB for the reply, Fred
Fred,
Sorry for the'yes'-'no' answer.

From specks of lint and trash to orange peel intensity. NO ONE can actually answer that question.

You can have the cleanest environment to spray in.....but if your paint is not 'dialed-in'...then ...there you go....texture that will require cutting and buffing.

And you can get the paint and clear 'dialed-in' and have a crappy environment and now you have specks of trash and lint.

Trying to get BOTH perfect...is not an easy feat.

DUB
Old 08-19-2015, 04:33 PM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Well, I ordered the Tekna Pro Lite today and we'll see what happens. Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To Can you (I ) spray clear and not have to cut & buff?

Quick Reply: Can you (I ) spray clear and not have to cut & buff?