Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Paint gun - any good?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 12:20 PM
Rebuck33
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint gun - any good?

OK fellows, I know everyone has their favorite guns out there. I fully understand that, really I do. I have been getting most of my stuff at a local paint supply place and they have been answering a lot of my questions. I then run most of their answers off of what I have read or asked here and move forward.

Attached are 2 pics of a paint gun they swear is the "best" money buy out there for a guy like me who may paint a car once a year or fewer. They say it doesn't mean at all it is somehow inferior to the more expensive guns. It has a fixed tip, I think 1.2 and they say if mixed properly, the epoxy primer, the high build primer and bc/cc will spray on with issue. It is the only gun they recommend "they say". Please let me know what you think. I also know there is a lot of info on guns on here but the more I read the more confused I seem to get! Sorry for asking this again. If I was confident I found the answer somewhere else, I wouldn't have asked. Thanks in advance!
Attached Images   
Old 10-07-2015, 12:55 PM
porchdog
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

they lie. a 1.2 is barely good for base. never ever listen to counter guys about painting. if they were that good they would be making 3 times as much painting.

cheap guns = cheap results and wasted materials . with the cost of quality paint the savings of a top shelf gun pays for its self.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:26 PM
Rebuck33
Advanced

Ok guys. This is exactly why I asked cause it seemed way to good to be true. I plan on using ppg products. Epoxy enamel then high build primer and lots of block sanding and more coats till I get it right, then sealer followed by bc/cc. What size tips would I need for each step?

I was a decent sprayer a long time ago and I do spray a lot of lacquer furniture as I do refinishing. The last tractor I sprayed ,my gun just didn't cut it which is why I'm asking.

Is the tecna pro lite and the way to go with two different tips? I'm ok with 400-450 but really shouldn't do much more.
Old 10-07-2015, 04:27 PM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

I picked the Tekna based on my budget. Have the Pro's weigh in. I'm an amateur but I manage to squeak by. YMMV.
Old 10-07-2015, 05:48 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I am going to keep my comments to myself when it comes to what gun to use/buy.....because what I pay for paint guns would make most DIY'ers run for cover.

I have written this before...I have used guns that were NOT designed to shoot what I was shooting due to when I went to spray whatever it was that I was spraying to help someone out. They said that they 'had a paint gun'....which...was correct...but NOT the right type of paint gun.

SO...I DO have to agree with what 'porchdog' wrote about the quality of the gun you get. A cheap paint gun will generally waste paint or be hard to use...or...maybe not! AND...regardless of what you buy....TEST IT FIRST ( many, many times if needed) and figure out what you need to do to achieve the sprayable finish you are looking for. So worrying about wasting paint/primer in performing tests...get over it. You are saving a butt-load on doing ti yourself instead of paying someone to do it. REMEMBER...there is no trophy or award for doing your own car the cheapest. Becasue....if a person is asking for advice (which is GREAT) on what to buy and how to use it....then this person has never done this...thus...common sense would tell us that these people asking for advice need to get to know the equipment and make sure it will perform as we want it....instead of going right to the car and spraying stuff on it only to have a MAJOR CLUSTER happen.

Think of it like this.....does anyone have a Cresent wrench ( adjustable open end wrench) in their tool box???? If so...then is that the ONLY wrench that you have because it can open so much to get many different sizes of bolts and nuts??? Then WHY would you buy specific wrenches when this Cresent wrench will do the job??? I seriously doubt any of you ONLY have a Cresent wrench in your tool box. My point is...then why would a person buy only one paint gun to apply all of the products they need to apply on THEIR Corvette and expect a good job...after they spent ALL THAT TIME getting the bodywork right??? And of you buy only one gun and do it....well my hats off to you. I am not 'saying' that it can not be done...because I HAVE done it...but I also paint and know what I am doing and know what to look for...and YOU can too...IF YOU TEST IT FIRST....but it will not as easy as some may think using this 'one-gun-fits-all' scenario.

And yes...I KNOW that wrenches do not cost as much as a good paint gun (actually....several different designed sets of wrenches can cost more than a good paint gun)...and the wrenches will be used a lot more than the paint gun ( in most cases)...but when it is dealing with HOW the wrenches allow you to do a job faster and not mess up....then the paint gun is the same thing.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
Rebuck33 (10-07-2015)
Old 10-07-2015, 06:39 PM
Rebuck33
Advanced

I just talked to DUB on the phone and I case anyone was wondering...... He is the MAN! It so nice to know some who never met me has my back. Thanks again DUB.
Old 10-09-2015, 02:38 AM
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

You'll be real happy with the Tekna Pro Lite.
Old 10-11-2015, 12:26 AM
Dale002
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

I will be using a Bink M1G on my paint job that I've borrowed from a friend. At first I thought I would use it just to shoot primer but, after playing with it and getting to know the gun. The gun now feel comfortable in my hand. I'm now planning on using it for the top coat and clear. The moral of the story is that, regardless of the gun you end up with, do yourself a favor and take DUB advise. Practice ,practice and more practice.

Last edited by Dale002; 10-12-2015 at 11:45 PM.
Old 10-11-2015, 03:23 PM
Rebuck33
Advanced

I pulled the "trigger" on a gun. I went with a two gun set from Devilbiss. I will let you know how I make out.

Get notified of new replies

To Paint gun - any good?

Quick Reply: Paint gun - any good?