Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Base/Clear or One Step?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 08:27 AM
shootnstarz
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Base/Clear or One Step?

Planning on getting the 89 coupe repainted this winter but can't decide on a one step or base/clear job. I so hate seeing peeling clear coat and I really enjoy buffing out paint to a fire engine red luster.

Since I'm about clueless on automotive finishes I'm asking for opinions of each process.

Also where is a good place to learn about automotive paints and painting and what the best way to prep the different materials on the C4? I would really like to do most of the prep myself but I don't have the experience or place to spray a car.

Rick
Old 10-08-2015, 06:31 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I can appreciate you loving to get your car to a high shine. It all depends if you are really obsessive about it or not. CONSTANTLY buffing and polishing on your car actually remove the slightest amount of material each time to do any work to it. So...in time...you can possible get spots in the paint where you are getting it thin and showing the undercoat. The only reason I am writing this is because I do have customers and friends who freak out on the slightest little thing....and when they bring it by to ask me what is happening...I tell them that they didn't listen to me and STOP worrying about every little thing and buff and polish it all the time...because NOW it needs to be painted.

I myself...would use basecoat / clearcoat. Mainly because if you plan on this car being put out in the environment and driven....the clear coat will provide some protection....versus if it were a single stage paint....the red paint can be effected by bug guts and other contaminates. The clearcoat is NOT going to stop everything....but it can stop and protect the red paint under it from a lot.

Hopefully you have a tech school that has a paint and body curriculum and you can enroll to take some classes. And when you get some experience in the classes...you then can see if the paint supply stores in your area have classes you can take that are offered by a specific paint manufacturer. You might need to spend some money and travel for some of these classes....so it depends on how serious you are about this.

NOT having a good location that will allow you to do this nor the equipment is the worst part of this. Before I would touch this car with anything...I would make sure you have a place to do it in...because it is NOT wise to drive around a prepped car. Especially if you are expecting the end result to be SUPER NICE.

I am NOT writing that you can not do this...and I try to help anyone. But you really need to get some experience and understanding 'under your belt' before you start to work on your Corvette. Not knowing your skill level in general automotive repairs....or how extensive your tool box is when working on your car....this can take a lot of time so you get comfortable and understand what needs to be done to give you a great paint job. Because it is easy to do a 'scuff and squirt' and have the car painted in a day....and it will look like it ...down the road in the future.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
shootnstarz (10-09-2015)

Quick Reply: Base/Clear or One Step?