Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

54 vette body work

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 01:58 PM
rcnicholl
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Default 54 vette body work

Okay I need some help from the experts. I have a couple things that need to be fixed. There between the door and the rear wheels on both sides and are completely separated. I also need to fix the rear panel at the bumper corner. this is not completely separated but needs to be fixed so any suggestions would be appreciated. The body has been taken down to bare glass with a baking soda blast and a good wash with soap and water. What materials do you recommend I use for regluing the seam

and filling the gaps.

Old 10-10-2015, 05:44 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I need a GOOD clear photo of the crack on the quarter panel from the INSIDE.

Just by looking at photo's sometimes it is REALLY HARD to tell a person how to fix a crack...so...I have to be able to see what you see. So photos of what it looks from the inside of the panel if possible is very helpful.

AND....where then is panel separation....knowing how easy or hard it is to separate the panels is also helpful and if a tool can be inserted and spread the seam a part and a good description of how the two parts that are separated ..and how they can be joined.

Often times...there are flanges at the end of panels that allow then to be bonded together to give the joint strength. Much like putting two pieces of angle iron together. BUT...if the joint split or cracked and still allowed the flanges to be bonded...but the panel tore or cracked right above the bend in the flange...that...changes the repair entirely.

And then there are bonding strips which is a completed different way of butting two panels together.

SO...this is why like I wrote I need to see what you *** and ANY information is helpful.

DUB
Old 10-10-2015, 06:56 PM
rcnicholl
Instructor

Thanks for the response. Here are a few more photos you requested. It does appear that the lower panel section has partially torn off from the flange. I added a photo where the red area shows the panel tear from the inside. The blue clouded area is also separated from the interior wheel well panel. No tear but still needs to be re-glued.

Old 10-10-2015, 07:03 PM
rcnicholl
Instructor

Originally Posted by rcnicholl
Thanks for the response. Here are a few more photos you requested. It does appear that the lower panel section has partially torn off from the flange. I added a photo where the red area shows the panel tear from the inside. The blue clouded area is also separated from the interior wheel well panel. No tear but still needs to be re-glued.

More pictures

Old 10-11-2015, 06:14 PM
DUB
Race Director

THANK YOU for the added photos. It aids me in having more pieces of the 'Jeopardy' puzzle turned over so I can plot a solution.

Question(s).
Knowing that this body has had a few areas that were repaired previously. HOW CONCERNED are you in how these repairs are accomplished???

Are you going for PERFECT TOP FLIGHT/NCRS stuff.

OR....Want a solid structural repair???

Kinda need to know.

ALSO....if you could,,,it the other side is fine on the quarter...can you post photos of the outside and inside of it like you did the left side??? ESPECIALLY if you want the repairs made so they are really undetectable.

DUB
Old 10-11-2015, 08:41 PM
rcnicholl
Instructor

Originally Posted by DUB
THANK YOU for the added photos. It aids me in having more pieces of the 'Jeopardy' puzzle turned over so I can plot a solution.

Question(s).
Knowing that this body has had a few areas that were repaired previously. HOW CONCERNED are you in how these repairs are accomplished???

Are you going for PERFECT TOP FLIGHT/NCRS stuff.

OR....Want a solid structural repair???

Kinda need to know.

ALSO....if you could,,,it the other side is fine on the quarter...can you post photos of the outside and inside of it like you did the left side??? ESPECIALLY if you want the repairs made so they are really undetectable.

DUB
I'm really just looking for a good structural repair. I do not expect this car to ever be judged. Regarding the other side (passenger) it is in the exact same condition and will need repair also. It pretty much looks exactly the same. The car body was stored outside for years on saw horses front and rear and eventually separated because I had no support in the center.
Old 10-12-2015, 06:49 PM
DUB
Race Director

OK......sent you a PM.

DUB
Old 10-24-2015, 05:47 AM
csherman
Le Mans Master

Received 1,436 Likes on 738 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C1 of Year Finalist