Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Need paint advise 94 Polo Green

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 08:51 PM
mat1227
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Need paint advise 94 Polo Green

I need to paint the urethane nose and hood, on my car, the urethane nose is new GM part, so no previous paint. what all do I need to do to prep urethane for paint, special primers, flex additives, etc ? What type of paint is on a 94 car? Base coat clear coat, enamel, lacquer?

Thanks for any help you can give
Mark
Old 01-02-2016, 05:09 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by mat1227
I need to paint the urethane nose and hood, on my car, the urethane nose is new GM part, so no previous paint. what all do I need to do to prep urethane for paint, special primers, flex additives, etc ? What type of paint is on a 94 car? Base coat clear coat, enamel, lacquer?

Thanks for any help you can give
Mark
Mark,

I see you are new to the Corvette Forum...welcome.

This is when filling out your Public Profile and just giving the name of the state ( if in the USA) or wherever so people know where you live...you do not have to be very specific if you choose. This is so if someone tells you to go get something...you do not come back and say that you live in XXX and it is NOT available in your area. Right now you are 'ghost'...which is fine by me if that is how you want it to be.

So me telling you what products to buy....hard to tell you what to buy.

AS for the type of paint...YES ...you car came with basecoat/clearcoat. You will more than likely get a urethane paint.

And whatever paint you can get your hands on...that is when you contact THEIR tech line ( VERY IMPORTANT)....so THEY can tell you what you need to apply on the new urethane cover....and THEY may have a specific process and products that MUST be used to guarantee excellent adhesion.

The paint system I use has special cleaning products...BECAUSE you really do NOT want to wipe the cover with a solvent....ESPECIALLY if it is UN-PRIMED. THAT would be a HUGE mistake. Raw urethane is extremely solvent sensitive. If it is primed.....I 'guess' you can wipe it with the wax and grease remover....but I have a water based cleaner that I use. AND knowing how to properly use a wax and grease remover is also important.

There is a lot to doing this type of work and many products that you will more than likely need...and you may find that these products ..when you go and buy them start to drastically increase the costs of you doing it yourself....if that is your plan....and THAT is when people who come to realize what it takes...they begin to NOT do specific processes and THEN wonder why the paint is peeling of the part several months or a year in the future.

Using a flex additive can be helpful...but it also depends on the paint manufacturer company you use. Some flex-additives are good for assembly...but in time...seem to dry out.

DUB

Quick Reply: Need paint advise 94 Polo Green