Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

which Rage

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 12:39 PM
71frameoff
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default which Rage

when you need a LITTLE filler, after doing work with VPA. which Rage does everyone like? Regular, Gold or Ultra??
Old 01-21-2016, 06:08 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by 71frameoff
when you need a LITTLE filler, after doing work with VPA. which Rage does everyone like? Regular, Gold or Ultra??
NEITHER...I apply more VPA. Just my views on this. WHY buy a different filler when you already have the best filler possible??? You have to be careful because 'ghost lines' can pop up when you use some fillers.

Neither of the two products that you wrote can do what VPA can do. Which is why it is literally the ONLY filler in my shop. And YES..I use VPA even when I have small pinholes and glitches. I have NO glazing putties or any other type of filler...except for a filler I use on the aluminum head light housings to get them flat if needed.

I am sure you can tell how I feel about this by now....so if someone comes in with another suggestion....and you choose to use it...I TRULY hope that all repairs come turn out GREAT and LAST a long time. REALLY I DO.

DUB
Old 01-21-2016, 06:26 PM
71frameoff
Instructor

Originally Posted by DUB
NEITHER...I apply more VPA. Just my views on this. WHY buy a different filler when you already have the best filler possible??? You have to be careful because 'ghost lines' can pop up when you use some fillers.

Neither of the two products that you wrote can do what VPA can do. Which is why it is literally the ONLY filler in my shop. And YES..I use VPA even when I have small pinholes and glitches. I have NO glazing putties or any other type of filler...except for a filler I use on the aluminum head light housings to get them flat if needed.

I am sure you can tell how I feel about this by now....so if someone comes in with another suggestion....and you choose to use it...I TRULY hope that all repairs come turn out GREAT and LAST a long time. REALLY I DO.

DUB
thanks for the good advise. VPA is hard to get in CA and it has a shelf life. because I have a few weeks or months between when I can work on the car I was just looking for something else. but if VPA is the best way then I will deal with it.
Thanks.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:28 PM
71frameoff
Instructor

I understand Evercoat is in CA but VPA in one of their products that isn't allowed in Crazy CA.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:52 PM
DUB
Race Director

I understand Evercoat is in CA but VPA in one of their products that isn't allowed in Crazy CA.
ARE YOU SERIOUS??? ( Obviously I know you are).

http://www.evercoat.com/images/ePIM/...LLON_USENG.pdf

http://www.evercoat.com/images/ePIM/...sive_USENG.pdf

I did a quick browse on these MSDS info...and these two products are so close...I think there must be someone 'splitting hairs' and stopping it from coming in and able to be used.

Kinda CRAZY...you can move over to another state and it is OK.

I do not know which one of the 'approved' fillers that 'they' allow you to use that I would suggest.....NEITHER COMPARE....because I think you know where I would be driving.

The VOC's are basically the same...the only thing I saw right off the bat is the category for 'carcinogenicity'. YEAH...like just about everything used in the paint and body industry can cause cancer at some point if you abuse it.

CRAZY is right....but I guess it has to start somewhere....so why not in California.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
71frameoff (01-25-2016)
Old 01-24-2016, 10:49 PM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 648 Likes on 277 Posts

I've been using Ultra, only $50 off amazon prime, and it sands real easy. I've never used VPA but was under the impression it is much harder and therefore more difficult to sand.
71frameoff (01-25-2016)
Old 01-25-2016, 04:31 AM
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Where in CA are you located? I've ordered VPA from the local NAPA and they got it for me and more recently I've ordered it online and had it shipped to my door.
Old 01-25-2016, 11:46 AM
71frameoff
Instructor

Originally Posted by 13611
Where in CA are you located? I've ordered VPA from the local NAPA and they got it for me and more recently I've ordered it online and had it shipped to my door.
tried to buy it from Amazon and Summit racing, both said NO.
Pep boys said NO.
I will try NAPA.
I found a sherwin williams automotive paint store that special ordered it for me, they said that is the best way because it expires and you want fresh stock.
Old 01-25-2016, 04:57 PM
DUB
Race Director

tried to buy it from Amazon and Summit racing, both said NO.
Pep boys said NO.
I will try NAPA.
I found a sherwin williams automotive paint store that special ordered it for me, they said that is the best way because it expires and you want fresh stock.
I KNEW that it could not have been outlawed for use. AND if it is..I am still shocked if it is.

Make sure that you call EVERCOAT and get their system of how to read the date code ( if you have not already)...and I am sure that you will be getting fresh stuff.

Not knowing if I had mentioned it....if you need a tutorial on using the VPA....PM me and I can give you my shop number and we can talk so i can fill you in on some tricks that can save you TIME....unless you want to go back in the 'paint /body forum and read responses that I had made in the past.

Glad to read that you do not have to settle for another body filler.

DUB
Old 01-25-2016, 05:13 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by Ken Sungela
I've been using Ultra, only $50 off amazon prime, and it sands real easy. I've never used VPA but was under the impression it is much harder and therefore more difficult to sand.
NOT PASSING JUDGEMENT.... People can use whatever they want....just adding some clarification.

YES ...your 'impression' is CORRECT...BUT also INCORRECT. YES...it gets A LOT harder than the Ultra you are using...there is NO DOUBT!!! One of the tricks with VPA is knowing when to go into it and sand it.

There is basically no comparison between the Ultra and VPA when it comes to what the VPA can do above and beyond the Ultra. Just to let people know this. SO...using VPA will allow some repairs to be accomplished where many other fillers will not hold up and do what is needed without other procedures added to the repair.

VPA 'feathers' out VERY NICE!!! I have NEVER had a 'ghost line' ever show up....EVER! And you can kick shrinkage to the curb. Just does not happen if you do things correctly.

DUB
Old 01-25-2016, 05:17 PM
71frameoff
Instructor

Originally Posted by DUB
NOT PASSING JUDGEMENT.... People can use whatever they want....just adding some clarification.

YES ...your 'impression' is CORRECT...BUT also INCORRECT. YES...it gets A LOT harder than the Ultra you are using...there is NO DOUBT!!! One of the tricks with VPA is knowing when to go into it and sand it.

There is basically no comparison between the Ultra and VPA when it comes to what the VPA can do above and beyond the Ultra. Just to let people know this. SO...using VPA will allow some repairs to be accomplished where many other fillers will not hold up and do what is needed without other procedures added to the repair.

VPA 'feathers' out VERY NICE!!! I have NEVER had a 'ghost line' ever show up....EVER! And you can kick shrinkage to the curb. Just does not happen if you do things correctly.

DUB
Convinced, end of decision. I am really worried about what happens after it is painted. I think I will have less problems if I stick to one product as you have suggested. I have read a lot of your posts on how to use it and I think I have an idea. I want to experiment on a small section and see what I can do and what I have problems with and then I will ask for help.
Thanks
Old 01-25-2016, 05:38 PM
DUB
Race Director

Convinced, end of decision. I am really worried about what happens after it is painted. I think I will have less problems if I stick to one product as you have suggested. I have read a lot of your posts on how to use it and I think I have an idea. I want to experiment on a small section and see what I can do and what I have problems with and then I will ask for help.
Thanks
YES...experiment with it.

When you get it.....MIX IT THOROUGHLY!!!!!!!!!!! ..and YES...it can take a while. ****REPEAT***** THOROUGHLY! And always keep it mixed up when you are using it...or when you get to the bottom of the can...you will see that it is much thicker.

Test it on something you do not care about instead of putting it on your car.....just a 'tid-bit' of advice.

BE CONSISTENT in you mixing ratios as much as possible.

DUB
Old 01-25-2016, 06:00 PM
71frameoff
Instructor

Originally Posted by DUB
YES...experiment with it.

When you get it.....MIX IT THOROUGHLY!!!!!!!!!!! ..and YES...it can take a while. ****REPEAT***** THOROUGHLY! And always keep it mixed up when you are using it...or when you get to the bottom of the can...you will see that it is much thicker.

Test it on something you do not care about instead of putting it on your car.....just a 'tid-bit' of advice.

BE CONSISTENT in you mixing ratios as much as possible.

DUB
I am a firm believer in mixing. I always tell my son. do you know how long to mix it and he says "yes dad, longer that I think I need to and longer that the label says"
DUB (01-25-2016)
Old 01-25-2016, 06:15 PM
DUB
Race Director

I am a firm believer in mixing. I always tell my son. do you know how long to mix it and he says "yes dad, longer that I think I need to and longer that the label says"
PRICELESS!!!!

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To which Rage

Quick Reply: which Rage