Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Growing Rivets

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 11:36 AM
71frameoff
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Growing Rivets

While stripping the front of my 71 I felt some bumps just above the headlight openings. Read some where that these are rivets in the fiberglass and over time they rust and expand causing the bumps. Also read that you can remove the metal support underneath and replace it with a bonded on one. So, what is the best repair for these?? shot a little guide coat and sanded to show the bumps.

Old 01-26-2016, 11:37 AM
71frameoff
Instructor

the bottom right repair is nothing I did an will be removed to see what is underneath and get rid of the junk bondo.
Old 01-26-2016, 05:27 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I assume you do not care if the rivets are there and can be felt when you fell under the top hood surround....correct????

IF you do not care...there are different processes to getting rid of these dimples and getting the beam back in.

IF the condition of the support beam is really good...it can be re-used...regardless of the holes in it for the rivets.

Honestly...I would prefer us to talk on the phone ....it will go rather quickly and honestly...I do not have it in me to type it out. PM me so I can get you my shop number.

The BEST part is you are so close to doing this many of the things I have to tell others is already done....but installing this panel is not hard...but it does take some attention to some measurements. I can explain this stuff in the phone call.

Unless someone else wants to 'chime' in and take over on this and you do what they say...which is totally fine with me also.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
71frameoff (02-03-2016)
Old 02-03-2016, 09:06 PM
71frameoff
Instructor

Originally Posted by DUB
I assume you do not care if the rivets are there and can be felt when you fell under the top hood surround....correct????

IF you do not care...there are different processes to getting rid of these dimples and getting the beam back in.

IF the condition of the support beam is really good...it can be re-used...regardless of the holes in it for the rivets.

Honestly...I would prefer us to talk on the phone ....it will go rather quickly and honestly...I do not have it in me to type it out. PM me so I can get you my shop number.

The BEST part is you are so close to doing this many of the things I have to tell others is already done....but installing this panel is not hard...but it does take some attention to some measurements. I can explain this stuff in the phone call.

Unless someone else wants to 'chime' in and take over on this and you do what they say...which is totally fine with me also.

DUB
Thanks for walking me through this process!
Old 02-04-2016, 05:30 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by 71frameoff
Thanks for walking me through this process!
How is it going???

THUMBS UP....or THUMBS DOWN.

DUB
Old 02-04-2016, 05:33 PM
71frameoff
Instructor

Originally Posted by DUB
How is it going???

THUMBS UP....or THUMBS DOWN.

DUB
not much progress yet. I have a terminally ill mother-in law living with us and I don't get much time to work on this project. NOT complaining it is what it is.
Old 02-04-2016, 05:50 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by 71frameoff
not much progress yet. I have a terminally ill mother-in law living with us and I don't get much time to work on this project. NOT complaining it is what it is.
UNDERSTOOD.

My thoughts are with you and your family.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Growing Rivets

Quick Reply: Growing Rivets