Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Cheap paint

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 04:49 PM
71frameoff
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cheap paint

I want to practice painting before I start on my car. is there a cheap base coat brand I can get on the internet? want to practice base coat/clear coat, doing stripes etc.....
Old 03-18-2016, 05:35 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by 71frameoff
I want to practice painting before I start on my car. is there a cheap base coat brand I can get on the internet? want to practice base coat/clear coat, doing stripes etc.....
I will 'say' this. It would be WISE to practice with the paint you plan on using. Because...if you master the crap paint...and then expect the paint you are going to use to react the same way...then do not be surprised when things 'F' up. I can not put it any more direct and blunt as that.

Learning and practicing is what it is....it is an investment..and trying to practice with cheaper stuff WILL get you when you switch to the better stuff and NOT practice with it a lot. UNLESS you plan on using the cheap stuff. NOT ALL basecoats lay down and flow out the same...I KNOW this for a fact.

If you are shooting metallic or highly concentrated color with pearl in it...practice with that instead of practicing with a solid color.

Think of it like shooting gun. If you get really good with a 22.....then go to another gun...you can not expect that right off the bat you are going to hit the bulls-eye with the new gun...with the first shot your take....it will take you time to get it dialed in.

AND..if you do this and can not figure things out if you are having an issue...post your concerns. But make sure that when you start the thread. You give ALL information possible...because if you do not write it all down in your post...I will ask questions that I need answers to....that can make all the difference. It would ALSO be very wise to obtain the 'product information bulletin' on whatever you are shooting.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
71frameoff (03-23-2016)
Old 03-23-2016, 11:14 PM
71frameoff
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
I will 'say' this. It would be WISE to practice with the paint you plan on using. Because...if you master the crap paint...and then expect the paint you are going to use to react the same way...then do not be surprised when things 'F' up. I can not put it any more direct and blunt as that.

Learning and practicing is what it is....it is an investment..and trying to practice with cheaper stuff WILL get you when you switch to the better stuff and NOT practice with it a lot. UNLESS you plan on using the cheap stuff. NOT ALL basecoats lay down and flow out the same...I KNOW this for a fact.

If you are shooting metallic or highly concentrated color with pearl in it...practice with that instead of practicing with a solid color.

Think of it like shooting gun. If you get really good with a 22.....then go to another gun...you can not expect that right off the bat you are going to hit the bulls-eye with the new gun...with the first shot your take....it will take you time to get it dialed in.

AND..if you do this and can not figure things out if you are having an issue...post your concerns. But make sure that when you start the thread. You give ALL information possible...because if you do not write it all down in your post...I will ask questions that I need answers to....that can make all the difference. It would ALSO be very wise to obtain the 'product information bulletin' on whatever you are shooting.

DUB
I agree with all that but I want to practice. I have painted a few things with a conventional gun 16 years ago. I just want to experiment and learn techniques with the new guns. probably going to buy the Tekna prolite with 3 tips. I am going to spray a small metal trash can, surf board (metallic blue) and the rocker molding on my wife's car, nothing special. need to learn to adjust the pattern and flow. experiment with pressures and distance. see how much paint to lay down without excessive orange peel and how much before a run. I don't want to learn the basics with expensive paint. agree I will have to perfect my techniques with the final choice of paint. so any suggestions on an inexpensive paint brand I can practice with?
Old 03-24-2016, 05:30 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I can not suggest anything.... because what I wrote in my last post still applies. Practicing with crap paint and then switching...changes things..and what you learned on the crap stuff...may or may not apply with the good stuff...so you are possibly and LITERALLY starting all over again. Which is big waste of time and money....in my opinion.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Cheap paint

Quick Reply: Cheap paint