Paint job steps

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 12:29 AM
corvetero
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Paint job steps

Hi there,

I wanna paint some components on my car, such as grills, wheels, exhaust and some metal spots under car.

For example with grills: sand, clean, prime, paint and enamel is the way to go? How long every one before go with next step?

I see many colored enamels sprays, can I use them after the prime and that's all?

If I paint the exhaust, do I have to apply enamel at the end?

Aftually the enamel application or not is my main doubt.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-29-2016, 06:58 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by corvetero
Hi there,

I wanna paint some components on my car, such as grills, wheels, exhaust and some metal spots under car.

For example with grills: sand, clean, prime, paint and enamel is the way to go?

CLEAN your part FIRST...so you do not grind dirt into it...then sand, clean, prime and paint. AND this depends on the part. NOT knowing what the grilles are made out of can make a difference in how they are prepped. So I am responding to this somewhat blind.

AS for the wheels and frame....it depends also But in some cases a primer is not needed...so....once again...hard to reply unless you get really specific and not just a generalized question. Is there rust on the frame..are they aluminum wheels or steel wheels and are they rusty??

How long every one before go with next step?

Had a hard time trying to understand what you wrote here.

I can not answer this....not knowing what you are using and how you are prepping the parts...no one can answer this. All I can 'say' is read and follow the instruction on the labels of the products you choose to use.

I see many colored enamels sprays, can I use them after the prime and that's all?

YES..in many cases you can stop after you apply the color...

If I paint the exhaust, do I have to apply enamel at the end?
Not knowing where you are wanting to paint it ..it also depends on how clean the exhaust is in order for anything to adhere....and the paint may also need to the HIGH TEMP so it will last. But not knowing where you want to paint the exhaust and how long you want it to last is unknown.

Aftually the enamel application or not is my main doubt.
I do not understand what you wrote.
Thanks in advance.
Hopefully this answered some of your questions...if not...respond with a bit more clarity.

DUB
Old 05-29-2016, 11:50 PM
corvetero
Pro

Originally Posted by DUB
Hopefully this answered some of your questions...if not...respond with a bit more clarity.

DUB
You are great DUB.

Sorry for the grammar, I'm not native and on top of that I wrote this post really tired on the bed.

I meant, how much time would I need to wait before proceeding with next step. For instance, once painted how much time until I apply enamel.

Also meant that my main doubt is that I don't know very well on what cases do I need to apply enamel on my paint jobs.

Something I'm very interested on are those cases where I have a metal piece with superficial rust. What products should I apply for preping the surface before priming?

Thanks for your time.

Last edited by corvetero; 05-29-2016 at 11:51 PM.
Old 05-30-2016, 05:40 PM
DUB
Race Director

You are great DUB.

Sorry for the grammar, I'm not native and on top of that I wrote this post really tired on the bed.
Understood.
I meant, how much time would I need to wait before proceeding with next step. For instance, once painted how much time until I apply enamel.
As I wrote...it depends on what you are using...I can not give a specific amount of time.
Also meant that my main doubt is that I don't know very well on what cases do I need to apply enamel on my paint jobs.
It all depends on what you are doing and what you are painting...and its exposure to the environment and sun. Often times these factors can make a person need to apply more paint due to what it is exposed to.
Something I'm very interested on are those cases where I have a metal piece with superficial rust. What products should I apply for preping the surface before priming?

You would want to get the rust off the metal....either by media blasting or using a chemical to remove the rust. There is a product called POR-15 that can be used on rusty metal BUT you have to follow a procedure to make sure that it works as it was designed.

Then when the rust is removed and depending on the part that you are painting will often times determine IF an aerosol product can be used or if you need to use a paint gun and more of a professional grade product.

Thanks for your time.
I hope that this helps but I can say that even though you can use an aerosol product...in many cases it may possibly fail in time quicker than using a product that is much better that is NOT offered as an aerosol.

DUB
Old 06-06-2016, 07:52 AM
augiedoggy
Safety Car

Received 829 Likes on 661 Posts

I'm sure Dub would eventually suggest it but Etching primer is also recommended to spray over bare metal after the surface has been removed of rust and sanded. otherwise most standard primers of paints will flake off easily.

And enamel IS a type of paint (the most common aerosol can paint) So this question is confusing to me...
"I meant, how much time would I need to wait before proceeding with next step. For instance, once painted how much time until I apply enamel."
Old 06-06-2016, 05:53 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by augiedoggy
I'm sure Dub would eventually suggest it but Etching primer is also recommended to spray over bare metal after the surface has been removed of rust and sanded. otherwise most standard primers of paints will flake off easily.

DUB
Old 09-06-2016, 01:47 AM
corvetero
Pro

Originally Posted by augiedoggy

And enamel IS a type of paint (the most common aerosol can paint) So this question is confusing to me...
"I meant, how much time would I need to wait before proceeding with next step. For instance, once painted how much time until I apply enamel."
I always thought that clear enamel was as clear coat.

I have the rims already painted ( prime + paint) but the spokes are bare metal surface (blasted).

I' dlike a satin surface on the whole wheel, should I apply satin clear enamel? Can be applied on blasted aluminium?
Old 09-06-2016, 05:38 PM
DUB
Race Director

I always thought that clear enamel was as clear coat.
Basically you are correct. It depend on how critical a person wants to read into 'clear enamel'. Normally I am pretty critical..but after what I had going on at work today....I just do not have it in me to get super picky and spell it all out.

I have the rims already painted ( prime + paint) but the spokes are bare metal surface (blasted).
Knowing that 'metal' can mean aluminum or steel...hard to answer this and that is want makes the next sentence you wrote confusing. I ASSUME your wheels are aALUMINUM.

I' dlike a satin surface on the whole wheel, should I apply satin clear enamel? Can be applied on blasted aluminium?
You can if you want and the clear can pop off in time....OR...it might stick. When painting aluminum....usually it is best to apply an acid etch to it so whatever you apply on it will adhere and not pop off in time. By applying a conversion coating..it can effect the way the aluminum looks.

And depending on how aggressive of a media you used to 'blast' the aluminum wheels...it could take a bit more clear to get the texture covered. I am not there so I do not know if two coats or three will be needed so the wheel is slick...but yet still satin.

DUB
Old 09-06-2016, 11:38 PM
corvetero
Pro

Originally Posted by DUB
Basically you are correct. It depend on how critical a person wants to read into 'clear enamel'. Normally I am pretty critical..but after what I had going on at work today....I just do not have it in me to get super picky and spell it all out.

Knowing that 'metal' can mean aluminum or steel...hard to answer this and that is want makes the next sentence you wrote confusing. I ASSUME your wheels are aALUMINUM.

You can if you want and the clear can pop off in time....OR...it might stick. When painting aluminum....usually it is best to apply an acid etch to it so whatever you apply on it will adhere and not pop off in time. By applying a conversion coating..it can effect the way the aluminum looks.

And depending on how aggressive of a media you used to 'blast' the aluminum wheels...it could take a bit more clear to get the texture covered. I am not there so I do not know if two coats or three will be needed so the wheel is slick...but yet still satin.

DUB
You are correct DUB, my wheels are aluminum. Copy cut of these, but on dark gray instead of black, and not that shiny/polished... more like satin surface

Old 09-07-2016, 05:55 PM
DUB
Race Director

I see...and did you get the answer you were looking for in what I wrote in my last post.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Paint job steps

Quick Reply: Paint job steps