Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

How to prep C5 hood on back side before paint?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 07:55 AM
AndersT
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Default How to prep C5 hood on back side before paint?

My 2001 C5 is being disassembled to give it a new paint. I dont want to re-use the hood insulation, but instead paint the hood both sides.

I want the back side to be clean and smooth. The hood structure is glued to the hood, but there is a little gap between them in many places.

What would you use to fill that gap? I thought about using fiber glass filler - being able to sand it and make some nice smooth edges - but do you think it will crack due to the flexible hood?

I have sanded all the retainer holes, so there was a nice wide surface, and then started fill/sand them with fiber glass filler.

Please chime in with any suggestion or advice
Old 08-21-2016, 10:26 AM
Dave Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

Sand the areas of concern to the SMC and use Vette Panel Adhesive, sand the underside to your level of smoothness desired, prime, paint and polish
Old 08-21-2016, 12:33 PM
AndersT
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dave Tracy
Sand the areas of concern to the SMC and use Vette Panel Adhesive, sand the underside to your level of smoothness desired, prime, paint and polish
Unfortunately I have not found a place yet in Europe where I can buy that product - but it seems to be polyester filler which I can get locally in many brands.

Is it a speciel filler - or can I use ordinary polyester filler?
Old 08-21-2016, 05:05 PM
Dave Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

I failed to notice initially that you are in Denmark. The material is made by Evercoat and possibly you could have it shipped to you from a distributor. With the SMC, you will want to use an epoxy rather than polyester resin. Hopefully, DUB or Porchdog will chime in because they are the professionals.
Old 08-21-2016, 05:11 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Vette Panel Adhesive is a polyester based filler...BUT...it is not like regular body fillers. It is an adhesive and a filler.

Due to you not being able to get your hands on it. Possible in your area you have a brand that comes from Europe that does basically the same thing.

Using a regular body filler may do just fine...but I can not say that for a FACT that you might have issues due to flexing or expansion of the hood.

Using a catalyzed seam sealer can also be used.

This is what I use.
http://www.semproducts.com/repair-se...ge-seam-sealer

FOR WHAT THIS IS WORTH:

Knowing that this underside of the hood was on a car that was driven. And not writing that you would not have done this. Just make sure that you REALLY make sure that it is SURGICALLY CLEAN before you go and paint it. Or the possibility of the dreaded 'fish-eyes' will pop up like crazy and ruin all of your hard prep work.

And also make sure that you do not fill in that small hole in the channel. In the center of the under structure at the front of the hood. I can see it in your photo. This hole is so it can breathe and not bust off the underside of the hood when it gets hot and the air in it expands and has nowhere to go.

DUB
Old 08-22-2016, 03:10 PM
AndersT
Instructor

I will try to find a European product simular to Vette Panel Adhesive. And if that fails, I´ll try use some regular polyester filler.

Good to know about the fish-eyes - I´ll make sure to clean it with solvent cleaner.

I planned to keep the small hole along with the simular holes in the hood hinge support. I actually thought they were supposed to drain water from moist, when hood is raized.

Thank you so much - it´s great to be able to get all your help
Old 11-14-2016, 03:41 PM
AndersT
Instructor

It´s been a while - but I found a filler which is used by those who build auto stereo - and it should be able to work with the vibrations in the hood:

The paint job is all done - and now the assembly begins. I´m really satisfied with the result - I´m sure it will look awesome when finished

There are more pictures in my build thread: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-2001-z06.html
Old 11-15-2016, 02:01 AM
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Nice!!!
Old 11-15-2016, 05:24 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by 13611
Nice!!!
The clear looks like it laid down real good.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To How to prep C5 hood on back side before paint?

Quick Reply: How to prep C5 hood on back side before paint?