Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

info needed on repairing crack in C5 front in

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 04:13 PM
Captzeos
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default info needed on repairing crack in C5 front in

Just wondering if anyone has taken time to repair a crack in the front end of their Vette themselves.
Old 11-22-2016, 05:36 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

YES...this will require a special cleaning process...and very careful prep....and then using the correct urethane repair materials and possible adhesion promoters.

Whatever you do...you DO NOT want to wipe this bumper with a solvent of any type. The cleaners are all water based.

Urethane does not like solvents due to the urethane can swell and it can cause problems...that is if you are looking for a repair that will last.

I can tell you the shear costs of what you need might make you choke...and THAT is when people try to change the process and materials needed to save money and that is when they can have problems. Keep in mind I do this for a living so I have to make sure my repairs are spot-on. I know many bodymen who do not give a crap and slam the work out the door and it comes back to haunt them...so...it is you choice on what you do.

And taking it to a shop...you might run into a person who does not give a crap and take the time to do it right and they will feed you all types of 'lines' and tell you that there stuff never comes back.....which may be true. But if they cannot verbally walk you through the process and tell you what he will use on it and NOT on it...them I am sure you can figure out he is 'one of those'.

The correct repair process is not a secret...you can find it out rather easily when dealing with the adhesive company that makes the adhesive and the paint company that the bumper is going to be painted with. There are several companies that make the adhesive ..so calling each of them and you might find the process is very similar and what needs to be done.....that way YOU know.

DUB
Old 11-22-2016, 07:49 PM
Captzeos
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
YES...this will require a special cleaning process...and very careful prep....and then using the correct urethane repair materials and possible adhesion promoters.

Whatever you do...you DO NOT want to wipe this bumper with a solvent of any type. The cleaners are all water based.

Urethane does not like solvents due to the urethane can swell and it can cause problems...that is if you are looking for a repair that will last.

I can tell you the shear costs of what you need might make you choke...and THAT is when people try to change the process and materials needed to save money and that is when they can have problems. Keep in mind I do this for a living so I have to make sure my repairs are spot-on. I know many bodymen who do not give a crap and slam the work out the door and it comes back to haunt them...so...it is you choice on what you do.

And taking it to a shop...you might run into a person who does not give a crap and take the time to do it right and they will feed you all types of 'lines' and tell you that there stuff never comes back.....which may be true. But if they cannot verbally walk you through the process and tell you what he will use on it and NOT on it...them I am sure you can figure out he is 'one of those'.

The correct repair process is not a secret...you can find it out rather easily when dealing with the adhesive company that makes the adhesive and the paint company that the bumper is going to be painted with. There are several companies that make the adhesive ..so calling each of them and you might find the process is very similar and what needs to be done.....that way YOU know.

DUB
Thanks DUB for your quick response. I've always found that IF (and that's is a very big IF) a person is able to do a repair himself, then you will end up doing it the best you can do. Now I do have a company I THINK will do a decent job, but doing it myself will give me the satisfaction of doing it right and knowing it. What information I have gathered so far seems to be buying more material than I really need to do a small crack. At least in my research and knowledge I get from you guys here will give me a heads up in what to ask a repair shop if I end up having to go that route.
Old 11-22-2016, 10:11 PM
outhouse
Safety Car

Received 150 Likes on 133 Posts

Not that hard.

Take the front plastic bumper cover off the car. You will use the plastic bumper repair bondo like this below.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/17130347?...&veh=sem#about

You will prep the surface [inside bumper not painted side] with course sandpaper.

You will use just a small amount to seal in between the crack, and use painters tape on the paint side to hold the crack shut while it dries.

Me, I would down excess on back side after it has dried, and then using the same plastic compound and a scrap piece of plastic, and make a backing patch for structural strength.

Paint can fixed cheaply with touch up, or it can be spot repaired if you know what your doing. Or taken to a paint shop who will fix and repaint it properly for around 400 ish.

Could just take the whole plastic bumper skin to a shop and they should have it like new under 500.

Choice is yours.
Old 11-23-2016, 06:43 PM
DUB
Race Director

I guess this repair can be done numerous ways...but professionally speaking...there IS a process to do it so it works. It is NOT my opinion but procedures set out by the manufactures of the adhesives that fix urethane bumpers.

An any professional bodyman /painter can tell you...working on the urethane bumpers...regardless if they are raw un-primed urethane or facotry painted ones are a ROYAL PAIN and can be quite 'touchy'.

But what do I know. I have had 30+ years to see how what I do stands up to the test of time....and re-adjust procedures to correct problems.,..because I can tell you...I have had problems that would make most people want to change professions.

DUB
Old 11-24-2016, 01:36 PM
outhouse
Safety Car

Received 150 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
I guess this repair can be done numerous ways...but professionally speaking...there IS a process to do it so it works. It is NOT my opinion but procedures set out by the manufactures of the adhesives that fix urethane bumpers.

An any professional bodyman /painter can tell you...working on the urethane bumpers...regardless if they are raw un-primed urethane or facotry painted ones are a ROYAL PAIN and can be quite 'touchy'.

But what do I know. I have had 30+ years to see how what I do stands up to the test of time....and re-adjust procedures to correct problems.,..because I can tell you...I have had problems that would make most people want to change professions.

DUB

Not contradicting your good advise. The professional way is always the best way for the best results. Just sometimes the right way on a 10-20 year old car is not cost effective.

And absolutely, plastic repair can be a nightmare. In OP's case I would be looking at why the extra pressure was placed on that location causing a tear, and address the reason before addressing the conclusion.
Old 11-24-2016, 05:55 PM
DUB
Race Director

Here is where I totally diagree with you.

You wrote: "Just sometimes the right way on a 10-20 year old car is not cost effective."

Because when the 'rihght way' is not done...and all that money was sasved....I would bet in time this repari will have to be dealt with again...and now more money/time is needed...and thus...begins to now have been the wrong way of doing it.

This kinda go along with that saying: "Never enoguh time to do it rigth the first time...but there always seems to be enough time to do it a second time."

I would 'bet' that the bumper got tapped or hit. Urethane is rather stout and it tearing or splitting like that...it took an external force to do that. The odds that it has actually gotten brittle like the early type of urethane can do...is highly unliklely...but who knows.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To info needed on repairing crack in C5 front in

Quick Reply: info needed on repairing crack in C5 front in