C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CAR WAX (What brand,Paste or Spray)

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 07:36 PM
billyboy47
Race Director

Received 219 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
Easy does it on that old stuff Buckwheat if it weren't for my sciatic, leg cramps and RLS I would feel quite young, Big Al Long called me a youngster if you saw my post on him
I get around pretty well for having had 4 back surgeries, heart attack, bi-lateral hernia, appendicitis and numerous epidurals in the last several years, so I'm happy and smiling
And still using Turtle Wax lol, but the real savoir has been a CLAY BAR, greatest thing since sliced bread
NSF
My clay bars are in the basement where they've been for the last 2 years. I did that baggie test on my hood and I think I scratched it. Is the bag supposed to be wet or dry?
Old 05-02-2016, 08:14 PM
Pegan
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My routine for a new to me vehicle:

Wash with dish soap to strip old wax.
Clay bar with Lucas Slick Mist as lubricant.
Klasse All in One polish
Klasse sealant glaze
Caranuba wax over the Klass sealant

Then Lucas Slick Mist after each carwash.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:01 PM
Daviddear30
Pro

Received 210 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
I think you need to do a little research on carnauba wax.
please post any links showing that people apply straight carnauba wax to cars. It doesn't happen. it is very hard by itself. It has to have other chemicals added to make it spreadable etc. When you change the chemical composition the melting point does not usually stay the same.

Most of the waxes I listed are a blend/synthetic/sealants but 0 waxes are 100% carnauba (they only wax in them may be carnauba but it will not be 100% of the actual product)
Old 05-03-2016, 10:48 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by Daviddear30
What are you hand washing with? Hand washing should not be stripping your wax if you're doing it correctly.

Also how well the surface is prepped affects the longevity of the wax. Did you clay? Polish? Ipa wipedown? Or just wash ,dry, and then wax
LOL....i'm washing it with that stuff that comes out of the little faucet thingy on the side of the house. Think its called water....and a little soap. And I've washed a few cars in my time and I know how to do it right.....wash from the top and rinse from the bottom up..... Regardless, no offense intended but there really isn't a wax that last for a year as some manufactures advertise. Now if anyone really wants to say that the brand of wax that they use still beads up after a year, or even 6 months the way it did on day one, well, theres really not anything anyone's gonna be able to say to change their mind......
Old 05-03-2016, 11:11 AM
SJBarton97
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by windyC6
LOL....i'm washing it with that stuff that comes out of the little faucet thingy on the side of the house. Think its called water....and a little soap. And I've washed a few cars in my time and I know how to do it right.....wash from the top and rinse from the bottom up..... Regardless, no offense intended but there really isn't a wax that last for a year as some manufactures advertise. Now if anyone really wants to say that the brand of wax that they use still beads up after a year, or even 6 months the way it did on day one, well, theres really not anything anyone's gonna be able to say to change their mind......
CMagic the wax and detail spray are always at the ready. Never Never Never wash with dish washing soap.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:18 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

please post any links showing that people apply straight carnauba wax to cars. It doesn't happen. it is very hard by itself. It has to have other chemicals added to make it spreadable etc. When you change the chemical composition the melting point does not usually stay the same.

Most of the waxes I listed are a blend/synthetic/sealants but 0 waxes are 100% carnauba (they only wax in them may be carnauba but it will not be 100% of the actual product)
I'm not talking about rubbing a bar of pure carnauba on a car. I'm talking about waxes containing carnauba, which I'd thought would have been obvious in a thread about waxes. As such, my initial statement still stands 100% true.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:23 AM
Daviddear30
Pro

[QUOTE=Corvette_Ed;1592133491]I'm not talking about rubbing a bar of pure carnauba on a car. I'm talking about waxes containing carnauba, which I'd thought would have been obvious in a thread about waxes. As such, my initial statement still stands 100% true. [/QUOT

Carnauba isn't the only thing out there. There are better products now. I've done my research and apparently you believe you know everything about wax so I asked you for links...

The majority of people call sealants and waxes "wax" even meguiars ultimatell wax is listed as wax but it's a synthetic sealant/wax blend. The average Joe sees wax and they think they know what is. The average Joe sees sealant and may be clueless.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:27 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Carnauba isn't the only thing out there. There are better products now. I've done my research and apparently you believe you know everything about wax so I asked you for links...
I'm not quite sure why you continue to argue points that have nothing to do with what I've said, but it's obvious that we're having two completely different conversations.

Have a nice day.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:26 PM
Daviddear30
Pro

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
I'm not quite sure why you continue to argue points that have nothing to do with what I've said, but it's obvious that we're having two completely different conversations.

Have a nice day.

I started out posting my favorite LSP/sealants since others posted sealants and didn't stick to wax. None of the ones I listed are carnauba based. Posting relevant to the topic

I defended carnauba against the statement that it just melts and only lasts a week or two. That isn't always true in my years of detailing.

You then said I should research. That's how this side convo started.

I don't use any carnauba based products anymore. They just don't last as long as sealants. They do have their place in the detailing world however. Not sure why you think I need more research. This is exactly why I spend more time on the autogeek forum than the Corvette forum. People here are more dismissive of anyone that thinks differently than them.

You want me to research and I asked for links. That seems reasonable. Maybe you know something I missed in my years of detailing and detailing research. If so I'm interested in learning.

Too many people think
Wax is the best thing ever
Wax melts off a car in a day
Dawn dish soap is a great way to wash a car/strip wax
Etc
Etc
Old 05-03-2016, 01:12 PM
Ben101er
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Beetroot
My routine for a new to me vehicle:

Wash with dish soap to strip old wax.
Clay bar with Lucas Slick Mist as lubricant.
Klasse All in One polish
Klasse sealant glaze
Caranuba wax over the Klass sealant

Then Lucas Slick Mist after each carwash.
I, too, use Klasse Sealant Glaze. I apply two coats, and then one coat of carnuba on top of it. Really pleased with the results, and it lasts all summer.
Old 05-03-2016, 02:46 PM
KyJim
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 71 Posts

Mine gets nothing but Pinnacle Carnuba wax. Hardly ever sits outside, kept covered when in garage and waxed after each trip. Looks new.
I just clayed it and the clay was clean after, so the wax is working for me.

I use a synthetic product on my DD.
Attached Images  
Old 05-17-2016, 07:35 PM
Millerrock
Pro

Received 233 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Orange Skullz
ZYMOL Carbon wax

My 18 year old SUV

Zymol here too, I love the stuff!!
Old 05-17-2016, 07:56 PM
Scuba Ghost
Team Owner

Received 401 Likes on 282 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
Two good car waxes ...

Remember DuPont's Rain Dance?
Old 05-17-2016, 09:32 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

QUESTION PLEASE, If I were to say, start using the NXT Tech 2 synthetic wax (not really a wax) would I have to wash with say Dawn soap and clay the car first ??
My Car is very clean, paint is in impeccable condition, but wondering if materials are compatible.
I'll check with Autogeek also
thanks
NSF
Old 05-17-2016, 09:36 PM
BLUGGA
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I just recently did this detail job on our new to us 2007. I used Meguiars wash then clay bar then polish then ulitmate wax. (Polishing compound took a little extra elbow grease to remove residue) I think all in all it turned out pretty nice without breaking the bank.

Old 05-17-2016, 09:36 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 194 Likes on 166 Posts

another vote for Griot's, I use the paste wax and apply several coats over the winter. The wax does not shed static cling numbers at the track, even at high speeds since it does not contain silicones.
Old 06-22-2016, 02:58 PM
Bigjsn250
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
QUESTION PLEASE, If I were to say, start using the NXT Tech 2 synthetic wax (not really a wax) would I have to wash with say Dawn soap and clay the car first ??
My Car is very clean, paint is in impeccable condition, but wondering if materials are compatible.
I'll check with Autogeek also
thanks
NSF
NSF, I always like to do that routine when switching to something new. Most products recommend you get old wax off before application for proper bonding. You will like the NXT, very easy on/off, nice shine, stands up well.

I've used everything listed in this thread (except Zymol carbon, which I am ordering soon), what I have found is follow the steps and the car looks great with pretty much any brand listed in this thread.

My Grand National is what most people call a piano black. It is unforgiving, look at it wrong and you will have a swirl mark. The picture is the hood after wash, clay, polish, wax.

On a side note anyone try Migliore products? I have their "clay towel" it works very well.
Attached Images  
Old 06-22-2016, 03:50 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigjsn250
NSF, I always like to do that routine when switching to something new. Most products recommend you get old wax off before application for proper bonding. You will like the NXT, very easy on/off, nice shine, stands up well.

I've used everything listed in this thread (except Zymol carbon, which I am ordering soon), what I have found is follow the steps and the car looks great with pretty much any brand listed in this thread.

My Grand National is what most people call a piano black. It is unforgiving, look at it wrong and you will have a swirl mark. The picture is the hood after wash, clay, polish, wax.

On a side note anyone try Migliore products? I have their "clay towel" it works very well.
Thanks Bud I have since this thread started decided to go with Meguiars Ultimate Wax.
I did it with a DA polisher, black finishing pad, I really liked the "thin coat" technology, very easy on AND OFF. Left a nice shine, at least as nice as I've seen on a stock Vette paint job.
There are lots of great products nowadays but IMHO , the secret to maximize your paint is wash thoroughly, CLAY BAR, then wax (or polish/swirl remover if necessary), you will come out with a shiny Corvette.
NSF

Quick Reply: CAR WAX (What brand,Paste or Spray)