C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

69 Auto to Manual, which exhaust hanger

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 12:31 PM
rizZO-6
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Default 69 Auto to Manual, which exhaust hanger

My father-in-law is in the process of a restoration on his 69. He recently swapped the auto to a 4 speed. Now we're trying to figure out which front exhaust hanger to use. The exhaust is for an auto and was replaced before he got the car so he is reusing it. But the hanger was missing so he needs to get a new one.

My question is to the people that have done the swap on an early C3, which hangar did you use? It looks like either hanger will need to be modified.

Also, does anyone know the measurement of space in between where the pipes would clamp on either an auto or manual hanger?

Thanks!
Old 01-18-2017, 01:18 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi r,
Which hanger to use is determined by which transmission and mount is being used.
For a 4-speed transmission and 4-speed mount the 4-speed hanger should be used.
By time the exhaust pipes get back to the point the hanger and clamps are they're both (4-speed/auto) are the same.
Regards,
Alan

Here's the 4-speed transmission, transmission mount and the exhaust hanger… with out the pipes in place.

Last edited by Alan 71; 01-18-2017 at 01:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rizZO-6 (01-19-2017)
Old 01-18-2017, 01:26 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 300 Likes on 214 Posts

I am doing the same on my 72. This is the hanger I used, there is also a 2 inch one.

http://www.parts123.com/corvettecent...50g&ukey=12771

Nothing will need to be modified if you are using the stock parts and have all the parts you need. Do you have the "tongue" that bolts onto the crossmember to support the 4 speed? You can see it in Alans picture.
The following users liked this post:
rizZO-6 (01-19-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 07:07 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Do your father-in-law a favor and purchase the 69 AIM for him as an early Father's Day gift.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:25 AM
rizZO-6
Advanced

Thanks Alan. I saw that pic in another thread. Very good pic! He has a Muncie 4 speed and the correct 4 speed mount (like yours in your pic). I read in another thread that the exhaust pipes on a 4 speed go straight through the holes in the cross member. But on an automatic the passenger side exhaust goes through at an angle downward. And that's what my father-in-law's does. If you see the two different hangers you can tell that the one for auto is angled a little on one side, which would work good for his pipes. But it bolts to the back of the tranny so that is not good. I think we are going to go with the same hanger you have for a 4 speed and twist it a little on the one side to accommodate the angled pipe.

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi r,
Which hanger to use is determined by which transmission and mount is being used.
For a 4-speed transmission and 4-speed mount the 4-speed hanger should be used.
By time the exhaust pipes get back to the point the hanger and clamps are they're both (4-speed/auto) are the same.
Regards,
Alan

Here's the 4-speed transmission, transmission mount and the exhaust hanger… with out the pipes in place.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:37 AM
rizZO-6
Advanced

540, have you already completed the swap? If so, you were able to use that hanger without any modification? Has your exhaust been changed or are you still using the exhaust that came with the automatic?

He has the same "tongue" as the one in Alans pic.

Originally Posted by 540 vette
I am doing the same on my 72. This is the hanger I used, there is also a 2 inch one.

http://www.parts123.com/corvettecent...50g&ukey=12771

Nothing will need to be modified if you are using the stock parts and have all the parts you need. Do you have the "tongue" that bolts onto the crossmember to support the 4 speed? You can see it in Alans picture.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:42 AM
rizZO-6
Advanced

Hey Easy, I was supposed to buy him an AIM for Xmas but instead got him a driveshaft that he needed.

I guess I could get him an AIM now for an early father's day gift. He's hoping to have the car on the road by then!

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Do your father-in-law a favor and purchase the 69 AIM for him as an early Father's Day gift.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:30 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi r,
Thanks for the additional pipe information. I learned something!
When I first looked at the 2 pipes I didn't notice the 'angle'… but now that I look again I see what you mean.
I hope I didn't mislead you too far!
Regards,
Alan

Here are a few pics of the 4-speed front pipes in place. I don't know if they'll be a help to you or not.

Last edited by Alan 71; 01-19-2017 at 10:37 AM.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:46 PM
rizZO-6
Advanced

No problem Alan. Thanks for the additional pics.

By the way, your car is beautiful underneath... so clean one could eat off it!

[QUOTE=Alan 71;1593899776]Hi r,
Thanks for the additional pipe information. I learned something!
When I first looked at the 2 pipes I didn't notice the 'angle'… but now that I look again I see what you mean.
I hope I didn't mislead you too far!
Regards,
Alan

Here are a few pics of the 4-speed front pipes in place. I don't know if they'll be a help to you or not.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:32 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Good luck with tweaking your exhaust to make it work. Not meaning to put any bad MOJO in this for you...but I feel you will be fighting with angles that will not work...especially when you go and try to use the correct muffler clamp and seal of the pipe and also attach it to the new exhaust pipe hanger bracket like what Alan has shown.

I am well aware of the bracket that is attached to the rear tail shaft housing of the TH400. It is very unique.

The only reason I am adding my thoughts on this is because I have dealt with this issue and many other issues when getting the exhaust to be secured at the back of the transmission area and not be all butchered up.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 01-19-2017 at 07:32 PM.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:21 PM
rizZO-6
Advanced

DUB, I wasn't talking about tweaking the exhaust but tweaking the exhaust hanger. That's why I started this thread to see what people have done to the hanger that have completed the auto to manual swap. I have to imagine that anyone that has swapped trannys has run into this issue. Maybe people are just eliminating the hanger after they have done the swap.

Originally Posted by DUB
Good luck with tweaking your exhaust to make it work. Not meaning to put any bad MOJO in this for you...but I feel you will be fighting with angles that will not work...especially when you go and try to use the correct muffler clamp and seal of the pipe and also attach it to the new exhaust pipe hanger bracket like what Alan has shown.

I am well aware of the bracket that is attached to the rear tail shaft housing of the TH400. It is very unique.

The only reason I am adding my thoughts on this is because I have dealt with this issue and many other issues when getting the exhaust to be secured at the back of the transmission area and not be all butchered up.

DUB
Old 01-20-2017, 06:45 PM
DUB
Race Director

Yes...the hanger can be cut and re-welded if a person wanted to do that....and take the time to make sure what modifications they are doing are actually going to provide the strength needed to do its job.

I have seen some really poor ideas (that failed) that some people have used to try to hold the exhaust. I know it needs something there...so doing without a good mount location I feel would not be wise.

DUB
Old 01-20-2017, 10:13 PM
ronarndt
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
Yes...the hanger can be cut and re-welded if a person wanted to do that....and take the time to make sure what modifications they are doing are actually going to provide the strength needed to do its job.

I have seen some really poor ideas (that failed) that some people have used to try to hold the exhaust. I know it needs something there...so doing without a good mount location I feel would not be wise.

DUB
"I have seen some really poor ideas (that failed) that some people have used to try to hold the exhaust" Dub- my PO bubba took your run of the mill Autozone rubber strap hangers and MIG welded the metal part of the hanger to whatever part of the pipe was closest to a hole in the frame/floor/whatever to fasten the rubber strap. I guess it's better than using coat hanger wire. I've seen that too.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:30 AM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 300 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by rizZO-6
540, have you already completed the swap? If so, you were able to use that hanger without any modification? Has your exhaust been changed or are you still using the exhaust that came with the automatic?

He has the same "tongue" as the one in Alans pic.

I haven't done the exhaust yet but I have a 4 speed exhaust.
Old 01-21-2017, 04:44 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by ronarndt
"I have seen some really poor ideas (that failed) that some people have used to try to hold the exhaust" Dub- my PO bubba took your run of the mill Autozone rubber strap hangers and MIG welded the metal part of the hanger to whatever part of the pipe was closest to a hole in the frame/floor/whatever to fasten the rubber strap. I guess it's better than using coat hanger wire. I've seen that too.
I have seen what you described ...which simply put....those hangers do not work.

I roll my eyes and begin to cuss because I know I will have to start from scratch.

What often times seems to be funny is that when I am asked to deal with exhaust pipe issues...some customers feel it is a 5 minute job and rig it up so it works.....BUT....little do they know...it often times does not work like that.

This is when I try at all costs to get them to take it to a muffler shop and let them do whatever they want. Because if I can not do it RIGHT...I rather not waste my time.

DUB
Old 01-26-2017, 11:13 AM
rizZO-6
Advanced

Just a quick update. My father-in-law ended up buying the exhaust hanger for a manual. He says he has it bolted in and it will not require any bending.

How that is, I don't know because I am not there to see it in person. Based off what he told me and the picture he sent me, his exhaust passes through the tranny cross member at an angle. But if he says it works, I'm all for it. One less thing I have to worry about
Old 01-26-2017, 12:14 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi r,
"But if he says it works, I'm all for it."
This generally a good outcome!!!!
Moving forward!
Regards,
Alan

Get notified of new replies

To 69 Auto to Manual, which exhaust hanger