Southern California Southern California

PIT maneuver

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 02:41 PM
Dennis Wilson
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Default PIT maneuver

I almost had a PIT maneuver done on me in our Jeep yesterday by a dumbs##t girl texting. Glancing on the side mirror , saw her drifting to within a few inches of my left rear quarter. She looked up and swerved back almost losing it. I dropped back to maybe give her a dirty look, and she went by STILL TEXTING!!! Could not believe it! End of rant.

Last edited by Dennis Wilson; 02-16-2017 at 02:42 PM.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:10 PM
birdsong
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts

Had that done to me back in 2012 while going up the grade from Camarillo to Thousand Oaks. This was the result of sliding sideways going uphill when the drivers side wheel couldn't take the stress.
Attached Images  
Old 02-16-2017, 09:32 PM
donald4972
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

I suppose this transcends generations, but a recent AAA study shows Millennials (ages 18-24) by over 2/3's admit texting and driving regularly. Willfully running red lights is become another side effect of this I've read in other studies.

Many similar studies show much the same, and worsening results as people consider this 'a right' while driving. And the deaths caused by them, climbs ever higher.

I'm beginning to think, we as a society are going to have to treat them like 'Terrorists' as they menace our loved ones on the highways.
Nothing else, like education seems to be working. They just shrug, and go on repeating this deadly behavior.

We all know, you can't drive in traffic or on the highways without seeing peoples eyes in their laps, as they text, weaving in and out of their lanes, etc.

I see no reason, society should excuse, tolerate, or forgive this behavior, which is killing many on our roadways, already!

Don

https://www.wired.com/2017/02/textin...ering-problem/
Old 02-17-2017, 09:28 AM
birdsong
Racer

I think we should treat this exactly like drunk driving since it has the same potential to kill. Huge fines, automatically off to jail, and so on. Now, at least here, it is $150 fine. Hardly a deterrent.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:46 AM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by birdsong
I think we should treat this exactly like drunk driving since it has the same potential to kill. Huge fines, automatically off to jail, and so on. Now, at least here, it is $150 fine. Hardly a deterrent.
Hardly a deterrent is right. And they don't enforce it. I saw a cop pass a girl who was texting on a city street while driving. He looked directly at her, honked his horn and kept going. Raise the fine up to $400 and enforce it. But then they would also be enforcing the cell phone ban which you would swear does not exist. RANT OVER!
Old 02-17-2017, 12:38 PM
birdsong
Racer

Yeah, if treated like a DUI the fine and court costs would be $10K. The you have peoples attention.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:10 PM
rwpatte
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis Wilson
I almost had a PIT maneuver done on me in our Jeep yesterday by a dumbs##t girl texting. Glancing on the side mirror , saw her drifting to within a few inches of my left rear quarter. She looked up and swerved back almost losing it. I dropped back to maybe give her a dirty look, and she went by STILL TEXTING!!! Could not believe it! End of rant.
Com'on Dennis, you wanted to see if she was good looking.

Pat
Old 02-17-2017, 09:52 PM
Wildmanht
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Really is amazing on all the people that still text and drive. I use my 4x4 Truck as my daily driver so I see all the time looking down on cars I pass that people are. Not to stereotype but from my observations the majority is very high with female drivers.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:58 PM
pcfred
Safety Car

Received 141 Likes on 93 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Glad you dodged that one Dennis
Old 02-19-2017, 09:54 AM
vinceg
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by pcfred
Glad you dodged that one Dennis
Yeah at your age you need to be careful Glad you guys are alright.
Old 02-19-2017, 04:36 PM
Dennis Wilson
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by vinceg
Yeah at your age you need to be careful Glad you guys are alright.
But....But..... I`m really young for my age!!!
Old 03-09-2017, 12:55 PM
F4 Phantom
Melting Slicks

Received 490 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by birdsong
I recently read a study report that said talking on a cell phone and driving is as dangerous as drunk driving. Driving and texting, constantly taking your eyes off the road, has to be much more dangerous.
The following 2 users liked this post by F4 Phantom:
birdsong (03-09-2017), whalepirot (03-10-2017)
Old 03-09-2017, 01:14 PM
birdsong
Racer

Originally Posted by F4 Phantom
I recently read a study report that said talking on a cell phone and driving is as dangerous as drunk driving. Driving and texting, constantly taking your eyes off the road, has to be much more dangerous.

As well as the above, who pays the bill for the damage caused by that thoughtless action? In my case I survived the accident, but not by much. That little truck landed drivers side down with my left arm between the door and the road. Nearly tore it off. My head hit the pavement. 30 staples in my head. 5 1/2 hours of surgery with 2 surgeons to repair as much of my arm as possible. The medical bills alone were nearly $80K the first day. Over 300K in total. The person who hit me had 30K worth of liability insurance.

Last edited by birdsong; 03-09-2017 at 01:16 PM.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:44 AM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildmanht
Really is amazing on all the people that still text and drive. I use my 4x4 Truck as my daily driver so I see all the time looking down on cars I pass that people are. Not to stereotype but from my observations the majority is very high with female drivers.
Agreed, totally. As a bike rider, too, I profile cars and drivers as a defensive driver tactic! Then, there are those da**ed dark tinted windows, so we cannot tell if the driver might see me!
Old 03-20-2017, 12:25 AM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 390 Likes on 244 Posts

True, motorcyclists need to be hyper vigilant.

We also use our "spidey senses."

Get notified of new replies

To PIT maneuver

Quick Reply: PIT maneuver