Notices
Ask Tadge Archived: Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter answers questions from the CorvetteForum community.

Please put this issue to rest - 8L90 input torque rating LT1 vs LT4

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 02:09 AM
imxz28
Drifting

Received 455 Likes on 174 Posts

Default Please put this issue to rest - 8L90 input torque rating LT1 vs LT4

I see people posting time and time again wanting to know what the differences are between the different variations of the 8L90.
I too have been searching for this answer and can only find this: Unique clutch and torque converter specifications matched to the torque capacity of the Stingray’s LT1 6.2L naturally aspirated engine and the Z06’s LT4 supercharged engine distinguish the applications for the different Corvette models.

Few here if any want to learn about the truck packaging but please let us know what the input torque rating is LT1 vs LT4???
Old 03-07-2016, 11:44 PM
realitywarp
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hope this helps

Originally Posted by imxz28
I see people posting time and time again wanting to know what the differences are between the different variations of the 8L90.
I too have been searching for this answer and can only find this: Unique clutch and torque converter specifications matched to the torque capacity of the Stingray’s LT1 6.2L naturally aspirated engine and the Z06’s LT4 supercharged engine distinguish the applications for the different Corvette models.

Few here if any want to learn about the truck packaging but please let us know what the input torque rating is LT1 vs LT4???
This may help: Box input torque capacity, which is after torque converter multiplication, is 1,000 newton-meters—or 738 lb-ft. LT1’s version of the 8L90 is nearly identical, the LT4 version has an additional clutch pack, and the torque converter clutch has higher rate springs.

Here is the whole article: http://www.hotrod.com/features/1412-...stronger-auto/

I was looking for transmissions to handle a LT1 conversion. This may shed some light on your question. Looks like there's only minor differences between the LT1 transmission and the LT4.

Quick Reply: Please put this issue to rest - 8L90 input torque rating LT1 vs LT4