Notices
Ask Tadge Archived: Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter answers questions from the CorvetteForum community.

Suggested Oil Zinc level for tracking a C7

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 09:44 AM
VatorMan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06-'10-'11, '15

Default Suggested Oil Zinc level for tracking a C7

Is there a maximum (or minimum) zinc level for the 15W-50 oil suggested for track duty that won't hurt the catalytic converters ?
Old 04-04-2015, 08:50 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Are you running a catch can? Have you gotten a tune on the engine? Many miles on the car? As you can see, there are many variables to this question. If you are just an occasional track person I would think the Mobil 15-50 is probably just fine. If you run hard with a tuned engine, I would go with Amsoil Zrod. Catalytic convertors are cheap and easily accessible relative to engine tear down and rebuild. Therefore, I wouldn't really consider them in the equation of what is prudent, personally.
Old 04-05-2015, 09:32 AM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Does MD have emissions testing? If not, you'd likely never even know the cats were degrading. The process of the cats degrading will take place over 10s of thousands of miles. If you change your oil back to a dexos1 compliant oil after track use, I wouldn't let the cats drive your choice of oil for the track.

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Get notified of new replies

To Suggested Oil Zinc level for tracking a C7

Quick Reply: Suggested Oil Zinc level for tracking a C7