Notices
Ask Tadge Archived: Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter answers questions from the CorvetteForum community.

Why no long tube headers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 08:06 PM
13floyd
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why no long tube headers?

Why are there no long tube headers on the C7 despite the fact that the car was engineered from scratch? Exhaust manifolds were used instead but would not the long tube headers have yielded more horsepower and torque for the C7. I own a 2013 coupe and I really like the design of it. Keep up the good work, Tadge ...
Old 05-19-2015, 04:51 PM
Nate@VanBortelChevy
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 336 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by 13floyd
Why are there no long tube headers on the C7 despite the fact that the car was engineered from scratch? Exhaust manifolds were used instead but would not the long tube headers have yielded more horsepower and torque for the C7. I own a 2013 coupe and I really like the design of it. Keep up the good work, Tadge ...
This topic comes up every now an then.

Bottom line is cost.

Let's pretend the cast manifolds cost Chevrolet $50, the long tubes cost $400 and 35000 Corvettes are produced. Chevrolet will save $10,500,000 by going with cast manifolds.

There are also other factors, including: emissions, efficiency, noise, and longevity.
Old 05-19-2015, 06:45 PM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 793 Likes on 537 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Nate@VanBortelChevy
This topic comes up every now an then.

Bottom line is cost.

Let's pretend the cast manifolds cost Chevrolet $50, the long tubes cost $400 and 35000 Corvettes are produced. Chevrolet will save $10,500,000 by going with cast manifolds.

There are also other factors, including: emissions, efficiency, noise, and longevity.
I don't agree with that argument; when the first Z28's were produced in the '60's you could order a Z28 with a dealer installed header option, they were shipped in the trunk and the dealer installed them. The cost is not the issue, Chevy would just make them an option and charge more for the option like they do with every other option. Now the emissions would and could be an issue along with durability, heat issues and noise...but not cost or price.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:49 AM
Nate@VanBortelChevy
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 336 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Too-Fast
I don't agree with that argument; when the first Z28's were produced in the '60's you could order a Z28 with a dealer installed header option, they were shipped in the trunk and the dealer installed them. The cost is not the issue, Chevy would just make them an option and charge more for the option like they do with every other option. Now the emissions would and could be an issue along with durability, heat issues and noise...but not cost or price.
My argument related directly to the OP's question. The way he phrased his questions was interpreted as:
"why do the C7's not come with long tube headers from the factory?"
Old 05-20-2015, 12:22 PM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 793 Likes on 537 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Nate@VanBortelChevy
My argument related directly to the OP's question. The way he phrased his questions was interpreted as:
"why do the C7's not come with long tube headers from the factory?"
Correct, and I was responding to the cost component of your response, which I believe to be inaccurate; the cost is not an issue.
Old 05-20-2015, 04:10 PM
0MarylandSpeed
Former Vendor

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Actually, it is more emissions. The cats have to be a certain distance from the engine in order to heat up, and work fast enough. Long tube headers move them further back meaning the cats take longer to get to operating temp and the car pollutes more.
Old 05-23-2015, 06:25 AM
Guard Dad
Drifting

Received 301 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by MarylandSpeed
Actually, it is more emissions. The cats have to be a certain distance from the engine in order to heat up, and work fast enough. Long tube headers move them further back meaning the cats take longer to get to operating temp and the car pollutes more.
Winner!

The car would flunk the cold start emissions test because the cats will take too long to heat up. It's that simple.

Get notified of new replies

To Why no long tube headers?

Quick Reply: Why no long tube headers?