Notices
Ask Tadge Archived: Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter answers questions from the CorvetteForum community.

[ANSWERED] All Season Performance Tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 03:10 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

What has the ackerman hopping that all Corvettes from the C4 on have exhibited got to do with winter tire traction? Brake squeal isn't an issue as long as you know there is nothing wrong with the brakes. Same goes for quiet brakes. They aren't an issue as long as there isn't anything wrong with the brakes.

Bill
Old 02-19-2016, 08:21 PM
KevinSun
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 18 Posts

Bought 'em. Love 'em.

Last edited by KevinSun; 02-19-2016 at 08:25 PM.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:31 PM
NMJoe
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

I'm am nearing my window to replace the OE GYs, so I checked in at the Michelin website and saw that the PS A/S 3+ was being released. Only problem is that I didn't see the size for the rear set on a 2012 GS. I emailed Michelin yesterday, and below is the response I received today. Needless to say, I'm disappointed that this seems to contradict what Tadge mentioned in his post.

"We appreciate your request for all-season tires for your Vette. Unfortunately, we do not have information regarding manufacture of the rear tire to match the front in the size specified.

Your request will be forwarded to the appropriate Marketing Group for future consideration.
We apologize for the inconvenience.
We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Michelin."

I guess I will end up going with the PSS, which by the vast majority of accounts is a great tire. However, being that I DD my GS, and we do get snow here (I wouldn't drive my GS in already-snow-covered roads, but sometimes you do need to get home from the office in a snow storm). However, we certainly have nightly temps during the winter months in the teens and twenties (every dozen years or so we will get below zero), and a handful of days may not get above freezing. Driving summer tires around in those conditions is not my goal, so I was thrilled when I read that the A/S would be introduced in 2016. Now, I easily survived my first winter with the GS/GYs, and I'm sure I can do so with the PSS, but I would prefer that I'm not operating summer tires below the designed temps and in snow, as I do have concerns for their longevity, and certainly for safety. Mostly, I'm somewhat disappointed in Tadge's post that an all-season tire in the GS sizes were on the way. Maybe there is more to come.

Last edited by NMJoe; 03-08-2016 at 09:31 PM.
Old 03-25-2016, 01:16 PM
zet06
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 39 Posts

Have learned and verified that Michelin will offer a RUN FLAT all season tire for Z51 wheels in Oct of this year that supposedly will not hop all over the place. (Info from Michelin and verified by TR.)

Quick Reply: [ANSWERED] All Season Performance Tires