Notices
Ask Tadge Archived: Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter answers questions from the CorvetteForum community.

[ASKED] New GM performance parts voids powertrain warrenty!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 07:49 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Answer is out. Just as I thought, Tadge is going to address warranty statement separately by part.
Old 12-15-2015, 10:16 PM
AlloyGT
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
Answer is out. Just as I thought, Tadge is going to address warranty statement separately by part.
Why would enhanced suspension parts, such as T1, void vehicle warranty? An assumption that T1 suspension would only be used for racing events is totally false. T1 bits have been a very popular handling upgrade for regular DE attendees of previous Vette gens. Why not now? Why on Earth would a larger sway bar affect warranty?!
Also, you can stick a Roush supercharger on a Mustang GT (via Ford Performance), which increases power to over 600HP and NOT void the car's warranty. So why would a simple GMPP cam not qualify?
GM must do better. Please and thank you.
Old 12-15-2015, 11:16 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Originally Posted by AlloyGT
Why would enhanced suspension parts, such as T1, void vehicle warranty? An assumption that T1 suspension would only be used for racing events is totally false. T1 bits have been a very popular handling upgrade for regular DE attendees of previous Vette gens. Why not now? Why on Earth would a larger sway bar affect warranty?!
Also, you can stick a Roush supercharger on a Mustang GT (via Ford Performance), which increases power to over 600HP and NOT void the car's warranty. So why would a simple GMPP cam not qualify?
GM must do better. Please and thank you.
The T1 suspension is a small stretch. Perhaps the bushings have a short lifetime or the shocks are more prone to leaking than the stock ones. But yeah, it could be made to work with warranty at a relatively low loss to GM.

Cams could eat up the driveterrain faster, there are certainly longevity implications of using more aggressive cams.

Last edited by SBC_and_a_stick; 12-15-2015 at 11:17 PM.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:31 AM
AlloyGT
Racer

The T1 suspension is a small stretch. Perhaps the bushings have a short lifetime or the shocks are more prone to leaking than the stock ones. But yeah, it could be made to work with warranty at a relatively low loss to GM.

Cams could eat up the driveterrain faster, there are certainly longevity implications of using more aggressive cams.
Agree. Yet Ford permits an FI solution that more than doubles the HP of a motor without any changes to the original warranty. I guess they make strong motors Frankly GMPP cams are very old now, with low lift and fairly gentle lobes. Perhaps that's why LS3 motors are offered by them with both the Hotcam (480HP) and the ASA cam (525HP) with a 2 year warranty as crates. As far as I know no upgrades are included to the stock valve trains. But power plants aside, it is rather ridiculous to invalidate a whole vehicle's warranty due to suspension mods: T1 or otherwise if sold by the manufacturer. I'd equate that to GM putting sacred C7R badges on an otherwise stock car and automatically assuming it will be raced.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:56 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Agree. Yet Ford permits an FI solution that more than doubles the HP of a motor without any changes to the original warranty. I guess they make strong motors Frankly GMPP cams are very old now, with low lift and fairly gentle lobes. Perhaps that's why LS3 motors are offered by them with both the Hotcam (480HP) and the ASA cam (525HP) with a 2 year warranty as crates. As far as I know no upgrades are included to the stock valve trains. But power plants aside, it is rather ridiculous to invalidate a whole vehicle's warranty due to suspension mods: T1 or otherwise if sold by the manufacturer. I'd equate that to GM putting sacred C7R badges on an otherwise stock car and automatically assuming it will be raced.
Keep in mind that 2015 Zs come with 5year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty. That's substantially more and there are provisions to extend the bumper to bumper warranty. Not quite the same as a 2 year crate warranty.
Old 12-16-2015, 02:00 PM
AlloyGT
Racer

Keep in mind that 2015 Zs come with 5year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty. That's substantially more and there are provisions to extend the bumper to bumper warranty. Not quite the same as a 2 year crate warranty.
...and it sure needs it - sorry, couldn't resist
Old 12-16-2015, 10:41 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

...and it sure needs it - sorry, couldn't resist
I'd be curious to know the REAL data though...where these C7's lie versus C6 and C5 in its first years, in terms of warranty claims, etc.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:08 AM
AlloyGT
Racer

Originally Posted by RC000E
I'd be curious to know the REAL data though...where these C7's lie versus C6 and C5 in its first years, in terms of warranty claims, etc.
You think the reported issues are somehow UN-REAL? Never heard of any mag losing a C5 ot C6. Or even overheating one. My first hand experience around various tracks is consistent with this. Except for automatics. And somehow I think there is a good reason, why a new C7 GT3 car has an LS3 based motor in it. PS I'd love for GM to outline what exactly are the "20% changes" to the LT1 that they dropped in a Camaro.

Last edited by AlloyGT; 12-17-2015 at 12:10 AM.

Quick Reply: [ASKED] New GM performance parts voids powertrain warrenty!