Notices
Ask Tadge Archived: Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter answers questions from the CorvetteForum community.

[ANSWERED] Why no blind spot detection?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 07:10 PM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

Remember guys, its like like intentionally left it out, they actually wanted it. But by the time they got the system from GM it simply didn't make sense to try to redesign the car to have it. There's no doubt the the next major change will include the system, but that may not be until the C8 because I don't see them talking about any major design changes before then.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:01 PM
ZenicaPA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts

Yes because cars should fit your ideal.

The fact that a plethora of other offerings do in fact have BSA as well as other luxury accoutrements like heated steering wheels and power folding mirrors seems to indicate that both power and refinement can be incorporated into a single vehicle.

For those not wanting beyond the thrill of 650HP & torque, there is the 1LZ. For buyers with a larger want list there is the 3LZ. Have these things as add on items and everyone is happy. No need to be so draconian to suggest it's either skip it or the car isn't a Corvette anymore.
The following users liked this post:
Gonzo (06-14-2016)
Old 06-14-2016, 08:59 PM
Cruncher
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BaylorCorvette
As do I.

Seriously though, it's not hard to use mirrors to see. Kinda like what people have been doing since the Corvette first came out.
Yeah, but you had much more visibility than you do with current vehicles; why do you think that back-up cameras are pretty much standard these days; also on many vehicles, especially Porsche, you can't see anything past the dashboard. I recently had an Impala as a loaner car & if it wasn't for the blind spot mirrors, I wouldn't be writing this today.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:33 PM
ZenicaPA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Cruncher
Yeah, but you had much more visibility than you do with current vehicles; why do you think that back-up cameras are pretty much standard these days; also on many vehicles, especially Porsche, you can't see anything past the dashboard. I recently had an Impala as a loaner car & if it wasn't for the blind spot mirrors, I wouldn't be writing this today.
Watch it, Mr Macho Bravado doesn't want you to have anything his ego doesn't need.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:08 AM
CCA Corvette Parts
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 421 Likes on 322 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08,-'13-'14, '16-'17

We want it Tadge

Regards
Chip

Old 06-15-2016, 09:10 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

In my opinion the Corvette design crew should ensure the Corvette always has the latest and greatest safety features. What about continuous improvement ? This is after all the MOST expensive Chevrolet they produce. I think there are a few here that would find a way to justify a lawn chair in place of the drivers seat. After all it would lighten the weight of the car and provide better performance and fuel economy.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:48 PM
mxk
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
I think there are a few here that would find a way to justify a lawn chair in place of the drivers seat. After all it would lighten the weight of the car and provide better performance and fuel economy.
If it held me in as well as the competition seat and was lighter, I would take it.
Old 06-16-2016, 07:57 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,625 Likes on 6,629 Posts

Originally Posted by dcbingaman
Put a little stick- on 1-2" D fisheye mirrors in the lower inside corners of your left and right side mirrors. You'll see everything behind you. Works like a champ for me.
In fact have rented cars that have the extra mirror that are installed by the manufacturer. Our new BMW 5X SUV has blind spot detection and yes it finds cars directly in the "small blind spot area" just when they enter, but IMO you need to see much more than that to drive safely!

If we had a wide view of the rear as my C6 as well as prior '93 and '88 Vettes, didn't need the small mirrors BUT the C7 rear center mirror view is limited (especially with the Z51 spoiler or a Vert with the top up.) Can't completely follow cars from the center as the "proper way to set mirrors states clearly!" Before any negative comments read and understand the right side of the graphic many post! That info is based a a good tech SAE paper from 1995 and I have been setting my mirrors that way for many years!

Still think the ones I have used for 2 1/2 years have helped keep me accident free (from one with another car) as I have been the over the 50 years I have been driving (looking for wood! )

Have tried round mirrors but like these oval ones placed in the upper corners, takes less view away from the main mirror, IMO. TO EACH HIS OWN!

Because of the more restricted rear center view in the C7 compared to my C6, I find this small blind spot mirror a help.

Last edited by JerryU; 06-16-2016 at 08:07 AM.
Old 06-16-2016, 09:24 AM
ZenicaPA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JerryU
In fact have rented cars that have the extra mirror that are installed by the manufacturer. Our new BMW 5X SUV has blind spot detection and yes it finds cars directly in the "small blind spot area" just when they enter, but IMO you need to see much more than that to drive safely!

If we had a wide view of the rear as my C6 as well as prior '93 and '88 Vettes, didn't need the small mirrors BUT the C7 rear center mirror view is limited (especially with the Z51 spoiler or a Vert with the top up.) Can't completely follow cars from the center as the "proper way to set mirrors states clearly!" Before any negative comments read and understand the right side of the graphic many post! That info is based a a good tech SAE paper from 1995 and I have been setting my mirrors that way for many years!

Still think the ones I have used for 2 1/2 years have helped keep me accident free (from one with another car) as I have been the over the 50 years I have been driving (looking for wood! )

Have tried round mirrors but like these oval ones placed in the upper corners, takes less view away from the main mirror, IMO. TO EACH HIS OWN!

Because of the more restricted rear center view in the C7 compared to my C6, I find this small blind spot mirror a help.
Some would argue your mirrors aren't aligned properly because I can still see the top of your door sill but this is how my mirrors are set, without the extra plant-on mirror, I find them distracting, even the ones I've seen that came OEM. I always look over my shoulder, a byproduct of when my Mom taught me to drive.

Last edited by ZenicaPA; 06-16-2016 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Add remark
Old 06-16-2016, 11:12 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ZenicaPA
Some would argue your mirrors aren't aligned properly because I can still see the top of your door sill but this is how my mirrors are set, without the extra plant-on mirror, I find them distracting, even the ones I've seen that came OEM. I always look over my shoulder, a byproduct of when my Mom taught me to drive.
First you're looking at the pic from my camera so it is not exactly what my eyes see. Second I don't see anything in the outside mirror having to do with my door! All this info of how to set mirrors was based on a 1995 multi page SAE tech paper (Society of Automotive Engineers). Been using it for many years. That covers much more than seeing the small "bind spot" areas off the rear fenders. In fact the diagram folks post has a criptic description on the right side that mentions following a car from the center mirror as it moves into the "blind spot." With a narrow view thru the center mirror that can not be done as well in a C7 coupe as it was in my C6 etc.

Turning your head is fine "if there is time." However evading an 18 wheeler tire tread on an interstate etc may not provide that time. The key to safe driving, IMO, is knowing where all cars are around you ALL the time. Then if you need to avoid something in the road, i.e. an AH that cuts in front, someone barreling down the left lane at 95 mph and will be in your blind spot after your "properly set mirrors" or your head turn says all is clear, you are ready. You know what lane you can swerve into, if any.

I attribute luck as one reason I have never had an accident with another car in over 50 years of driving, but also looking continually in all mirrors as a mater of habit! Frankly with today's distracted driving it is a much worse environment, IMO. I do not have my cell phone on when I drive the Vette! Don't have it connected to Blue Tooth! Admit I drive aggressivly and want all my attention on the road and others around me. As an example, I won't drive behind someone holding a cell phone or obviously talking. Recently was behind a fellow in a Porsche on a single lane road with no passing who was talking "with his left hand waving" for over 5 miles and was obviously on his phone. I stayed far back and the only time his left hand was on the steering wheel is when he turned!

As mentioned have "blind spot detection" in our X5 BMW SUV and it warns of only a narrow area. I'd prefer a convex left side mirror that they can have in Europe! No extra cost or taking space inside the car! TO EACH HIS OWN!

Last edited by JerryU; 06-16-2016 at 01:37 PM.
Old 06-16-2016, 05:28 PM
Racer86
Safety Car

Received 376 Likes on 180 Posts

BSA,,, they should use them in NASCAR
Old 06-16-2016, 05:32 PM
ZenicaPA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Racer86
There you have it, Mr Macho Bravado showed up.

So Macho, what circuit do you race in? Have I seen you on NASCAR?
Formula 1? Oh wait....the Piston Cup?
Old 06-17-2016, 09:40 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,145 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by ZenicaPA
There you have it, Mr Macho Bravado showed up.
Zenica, I'm going to strongly recommend that you straighten up and fly right. You're awfully combative in this thread, and it's going to stop here and now. Keep it up and I'm going to begin nuking your posts.

We get it: you're unhappy with your car and want blind side sensors. Tadge told you you're not going to get them any time soon, and why. Whether you want to accept that straight from the horse's mouth or not is your problem. Stop making it my problem.

Capiche?
Old 06-17-2016, 12:13 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Racer86
Actually we should have what NASCAR uses! However that would be very expensive and require a helicopter following your car and radio to tell you when some AH is barreling down at 90/95 mph behind you in the left (or right) lane! See that when traveling into town on I95!

NASCAR uses a spotter in a booth who tells the driver who is around him high and low! At times even they cannot predict what someone is going to do. But when an accident occurs in front of their driver they can help with a "go high" or "go low!" The spotters quick guess may not be right however!

Last edited by JerryU; 06-17-2016 at 12:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ZenicaPA (06-17-2016)
Old 06-17-2016, 03:32 PM
ZenicaPA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jvp
Zenica, I'm going to strongly recommend that you straighten up and fly right. You're awfully combative in this thread, and it's going to stop here and now. Keep it up and I'm going to begin nuking your posts.

We get it: you're unhappy with your car and want blind side sensors. Tadge told you you're not going to get them any time soon, and why. Whether you want to accept that straight from the horse's mouth or not is your problem. Stop making it my problem.

Capiche?
Capiche.

For the record, I'm not unhappy with my car.

Yes, I have some build issues like many others but I am not unhappy with my car. Do I wish it had BSA? Sure...I'd also like rain sensing wipers and headlights that can track into a turn. I disagree with the explanation given but my post you responded to wasn't directed at GM. It is directed to anyone suggesting a vehicle should omit a safety device designed as a preventative to fill the void where human error is possible, even for the safest drivers.

But I get your point...less sarcasm.
Old 06-17-2016, 04:41 PM
Movie Muscle
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 42 Posts

Install this, nice if included that, one of these would have been nice...

......The NEW Z06!!! LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!!!! All 4000 bloated pounds of her.
Old 06-17-2016, 05:32 PM
ZenicaPA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Movie Muscle
Install this, nice if included that, one of these would have been nice...

......The NEW Z06!!! LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!!!! All 4000 bloated pounds of her.
That's the beauty of options. You can opt not to add some things and another buyer can opt to add them. I'd venture a guess that the 1LZ weights a tad less than a 3LZ. I highly doubt anything suggested here would cause the car to mushroom from 3300 to 4000 lbs, 700lbs is a lot of weight.

Get notified of new replies

To [ANSWERED] Why no blind spot detection?

Old 06-18-2016, 12:22 PM
slickstick
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 115 Posts

This makes sense how the sensors could be a packaging challenge on the Vette, much more so than a Tahoe. I think we all agree cooling is of higher priority, and is still a challenge on this car (at least for the Z06 guys).
Old 06-18-2016, 12:43 PM
fltsfshr
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

GM needs to talk to Nikon. I'm not an engineer but I do wear glasses. The new digital multifocal lenses are seamless. There is no reason a multifocal convex lens couldn't be implemented. No extra parts no sensors just a simple computer designed mirror glass with both regular and blind spot areas.

fltsfshr
Old 06-18-2016, 05:47 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by fltsfshr
GM needs to talk to Nikon. I'm not an engineer but I do wear glasses. The new digital multifocal lenses are seamless. There is no reason a multifocal convex lens couldn't be implemented. No extra parts no sensors just a simple computer designed mirror glass with both regular and blind spot areas.

fltsfshr
If I recall correctly the US law says there must be at least one outside mirror that shows other cars as they appear (or some such words!) Probably written in the 1930's!

Quick Reply: [ANSWERED] Why no blind spot detection?