Notices
Ask Tadge Archived: Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter answers questions from the CorvetteForum community.

Asbestos

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 04:44 AM
Daniel Hodgkinson
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Asbestos

Hi Tadge would you be able help out with an enquiry regarding the use of Asbestos ( if any ) in the construction of the C6 corvettes in particular the 2005-6 models, I'm an Aussie who is considering importing one into Australia and our authorities have made things a little awkward now with the asbestos debacle. I am needing something in writing that I can submit with my import application to make the process go as smooth as possible.
Would GM put something on a document to state that no asbestos has been in these vehicles during manufacture.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Dan.
Old 07-18-2019, 10:10 AM
Ballypinball
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

you need a raws workshop to clear the car from customs, IE a RHD converter, most should know the info
Old 09-02-2019, 03:52 PM
ozinusa
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Daniel Hodgkinson
Hi Tadge would you be able help out with an enquiry regarding the use of Asbestos ( if any ) in the construction of the C6 corvettes in particular the 2005-6 models, I'm an Aussie who is considering importing one into Australia and our authorities have made things a little awkward now with the asbestos debacle. I am needing something in writing that I can submit with my import application to make the process go as smooth as possible.
Would GM put something on a document to state that no asbestos has been in these vehicles during manufacture.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Dan.
You can also have an asbestos testing shop verify that there is no asbestos in the car. They should test brakes, clutch (if manual), all gaskets, exhaust gaskets in particular etc. Once this test is complete, it will be adequate evidence of the absence of asbestos in the car. If at all possible it would be advisable to do this before you put the car in a container to Australia.

Don't forget your need to get permission to import the vehicle into Australia - again important to do this before you put it in a container to Australia.

Neither of the above relate to RAWS as that (I believe) actually relates to your ability to register the car in Australia, as opposed to your ability to have the car clear customs in Australia.

I'm an oz expat living in the US and have exported several cars from here to Australia. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To Asbestos

Quick Reply: Asbestos