Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

C5 AVN 5435 install...large file.. Dial up beware

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 06:42 PM
Shylor
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rabranstetter
Crutchfield carries Eclipse now, they have the AVN-5435 for 1,699.00.
I just went to their site and didn't see the Eclipse anywhere. Do you have a link?
Old 08-23-2005, 08:58 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

here are a couple close ups.... Now whenever anyone asks if you can install a double din without having to over customize the trim and keep you AC controls and ashtray in the same place, we have the pics here.

This first one shows where the original trim was (yellow lines) you can see there is a bit shaved on top and about half the trim on the bottom. You cant shave any more on the top then you see in this pic otherwise you will have too much of a gap once you fit the unit in. The unit fits how it fits and you need to adjust the trim around that.

I got super close up on this one so you can see exactly how much was cut away and how much of the bottom trim is left. It looks a bit rough on that corner but its because Im so close

From the other side you can see how clean it looks once I back up a bit. This pic also shows how much was needed to be shaved top and bottom.

The next step for me personally is to have the trim around the screen brought up to be flush. Right now you can see how it slopes in

Last edited by GettReal; 08-23-2005 at 09:01 PM.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:40 PM
Cajundude
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In 7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Thanks for the pics! Would it be possible to sit the unit all the way in or would that interfere with how it opens?
Old 08-23-2005, 09:58 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Cajundude
Thanks for the pics! Would it be possible to sit the unit all the way in or would that interfere with how it opens?

I honestly think they just couldnt push it back any more then that or I know they would have... if it were pushed in more it wouldnt interefere with it opening as it only needs as much space as the top or bottom of the screen
Old 08-23-2005, 10:08 PM
Cajundude
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In 7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Must be a deep unit. I'm still thinking of getting this one. Is the Eclipse easily bypassed for viewing while driving? (Not that I would do this but I'm thinking of the passenger).
Old 08-24-2005, 12:23 AM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Cajundude
Must be a deep unit. I'm still thinking of getting this one. Is the Eclipse easily bypassed for viewing while driving? (Not that I would do this but I'm thinking of the passenger).
I would have to say yes since my installers did for me and said it was not a problem. My 2 yr old watched Toy Story on a drive we went on together recently....sounded like a theatre in the car... the bass kinda made her jump the first time she heard it
Old 08-24-2005, 05:53 PM
Shylor
Le Mans Master

I emailed Crutchfield and they sent me the link. Now I wonder if it would be better to find an installer or did it myself. I'm sure I could do it myself but am wondering if I want to, I'm sure it would take me longer than an installer. How much does an installer charge to do it?
Old 08-24-2005, 07:40 PM
Nabbs
Drifting

Here a few of mine in my Z06, I added the rear camera. It is impossible to not trim the bezel, but I can assure you that the pictures exagerate the cuts. If you see it in person you cannot see the cuts

Great system, very happy.

FYI the software is the same (but better) as the one used in the C6.

I'm also running an iPod with mine, and eventually plan to get a "brain" so that I can control it with the stereo controls (which I currently cannot do).

-N
Old 08-24-2005, 11:55 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Nabbs

I'm also running an iPod with mine, and eventually plan to get a "brain" so that I can control it with the stereo controls (which I currently cannot do).

-N

how are you running the ipod? where does it sit? do you just use the mp3 feature on the "source" screen?...details please and pics
Old 08-25-2005, 08:40 AM
Nabbs
Drifting

Originally Posted by GettReal
how are you running the ipod? where does it sit? do you just use the mp3 feature on the "source" screen?...details please and pics
no, I use VTR. Basically it's an RCA cable that plugs in, so sound is quite good. Then I picked up a car charger for the ipod which I plugged into the center console jack. Basically I have to change the song via the iPod so that's a pita.

Eventually I'd like to pickup a pioneer or alpine ipod brain, that will display everything on the hu (song title, artist, etc) and will allow me to control the ipod from it.

Pix -- well it's an iPod in a center console, not much else to it.

-N
Old 08-25-2005, 10:54 AM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Nabbs
no, I use VTR. Basically it's an RCA cable that plugs in, so sound is quite good. Then I picked up a car charger for the ipod which I plugged into the center console jack. Basically I have to change the song via the iPod so that's a pita.

Eventually I'd like to pickup a pioneer or alpine ipod brain, that will display everything on the hu (song title, artist, etc) and will allow me to control the ipod from it.

Pix -- well it's an iPod in a center console, not much else to it.

-N
thanks.. I used my VTR for my back up cam since it wasnt an eclipse cam. I need to look into what the ipod brain is since thats how I would want to use mine...straight from the touch screen do I just google alpine ipod brain? I'll try
Old 08-26-2005, 08:22 PM
rabranstetter
Advanced

Default Crutchfield and Eclipse

Originally Posted by Shylor
I just went to their site and didn't see the Eclipse anywhere. Do you have a link?
If you go there, and select your corvette it will not show up. you havce to choose show all rather than showing only what fits your car. Technically this doesn't fit our car because it is 2x din. But we know better! I have mine on order, I should post my pics soon!
Old 08-27-2005, 06:43 PM
Shylor
Le Mans Master

The Eclipse unit with the hard drive, does it have Sirius? I didn't see that the specs showed it does.

Does the 5435 have any lag by constantly using the NAV disk? I'm torn between this unit the hard drive version.

I really want one of these units because it blends in well with the C5 Interior.
Old 08-27-2005, 07:20 PM
Red-C6
Advanced

Default Sirius in Eclipse Navigation Units

Originally Posted by Shylor
The Eclipse unit with the hard drive, does it have Sirius? I didn't see that the specs showed it does.

Does the 5435 have any lag by constantly using the NAV disk? I'm torn between this unit the hard drive version.
The AVN5495, the one with the hard drive does NOT allow for the addition of Sirius. That's the major reason I went with the AVN5435. The AVN5435 allows for the addition of the SIR-ECL1 Sirius receiver. This is $99.95 from Crutchfield and $119.95 from your local authorized dealer. I installed the Sirius for my C6 and it is great!

The AVN5435 also allows for MP3 disks. I just put 14 albums on one disk. Helps negate the need for the hard disk on the AVN5495.

There is no lag using the NAV disk. When it needs to recompute the route, it does it in 2-3 seconds.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:01 AM
D C
USMC (retired)
Support Corvetteforum!

Im Jealous. I cannot wait to get that HU installed along with all my JL audio components.
Old 09-09-2005, 03:50 PM
kandied91z
Instructor

Originally Posted by rabranstetter
Crutchfield also carries the AVN-5495 for $2,399, which is an upgrade to the 5435. It has a 30GB Hard Disk Drive, 10GB is dedicated to the navigation and 20GB can be used as an MP3 jukebox.

Hope this helps,
Ryan
do you know this for a fact? i ordered mine direct through eclipse and they claim it's on backorder. it's release date has been pushed back so many times i'm considering another brand.
Old 09-09-2005, 04:09 PM
rabranstetter
Advanced

Default Last time i was at Crutchfield.com it was in stock

Originally Posted by kandied91z
do you know this for a fact? i ordered mine direct through eclipse and they claim it's on backorder. it's release date has been pushed back so many times i'm considering another brand.
Crutchfield's web site says IN STOCK

Get notified of new replies

To C5 AVN 5435 install...large file.. Dial up beware

Old 09-10-2005, 12:31 PM
kandied91z
Instructor

yeah if you call though it isn't??
Old 09-10-2005, 08:53 PM
rabranstetter
Advanced

Default Sorry, cant help you there.

Originally Posted by kandied91z
yeah if you call though it isn't??
Bummer, can't help you there.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:59 PM
rabranstetter
Advanced

Default Here is mine installed!

Here are pics of my AVN-5435 installed.
Attached Images     

Last edited by rabranstetter; 09-11-2005 at 11:02 PM.

Quick Reply: C5 AVN 5435 install...large file.. Dial up beware