Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

C5 AVN 5435 install...large file.. Dial up beware

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 06:54 PM
Carovette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any more pictures you guys can share? I was looking at the Pioneer Unit vs the Eclipse, the only item I am undecided on is the factory dash trim cutting, my preference is to not cut the dash, afraid it would be unsightly.
Old 10-23-2005, 08:34 PM
bladez718
Cruising

here is some pics on my toyota matrix:

Old 10-25-2005, 01:09 AM
kandied91z
Instructor

well after having it and using it consistently i finally found some things i do not like about the eclipse. maybe someone who has one can shine some light on my problems.

1. only 6 presets for am and fm.. not a big deal but why only 6?

2. eclipse promised modified backgrounds, didn't happen.

3. the volume of the movie playback is hindered significantly when the car is in motion.

4. 5v preout is more like 2v.

beyond that the unit is great, everything that is on the unit works flawlessly which i suppose is the selling point. once i got around the above problems and adjusted my gains the volume wasn't a problem. i would have liked for the recording of radio stations to be more user friendly for editing but it's still pretty good. overall i'm extremely happy with the unit.

as far as the pioneer, i have it in my truck and like it just as much. the navigation isn't as easy to use and the fact you need an additional add on for dvd isn't good but the price reflects it. seeing so many new double din decks coming out for sema i would say wait at least til spring as there will be some nicer units to compete with the eclipse for a fraction of the cost.
Old 10-26-2005, 02:02 PM
bladez718
Cruising

quick question guys:

I asked the installer to ground the park wire so i can watch dvd while car is moving.

Can I watch dvd and use the navigation at the same time? When i use the navi, i have to take out the navi dvd cd.

By the way. Im so happy with the unit and got a lot of compliments. One thing if any of u gonna want the sirius radio. It will save you ALOT of $ to install it together with eclispe. Most shops will just say free install with eclipse because its ez to put in while everything is taken off.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:56 AM
Ironhead
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

What did you use for the side filler? I just bought the 5435 and have my dash tore out of my 99 C5 and it now looks a bit overwhelming. Also looks like I have to move the factory radio mount back or remove to allow the Eclipse to move back.

Thank you
Old 01-15-2006, 05:26 AM
JMc
Le Mans Master

Location: "This is not a psychotic episode, but a cleansing moment of clarity."
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironhead
What did you use for the side filler? I just bought the 5435 and have my dash tore out of my 99 C5 and it now looks a bit overwhelming. Also looks like I have to move the factory radio mount back or remove to allow the Eclipse to move back.

Thank you
Ironhead, did you ever get this resolved? What did you do?

BTW, I am SO GLAD I found this thread, because I was afraid I was going to have to do major surgery on my radio surround piece in order to make this work. So glad that it just involves notching at the top of the opening and the bottom bar.

I own an Eclipse 5495 that I installed in my wife's Jag S Type. Turns out, she doesn't like the complexity of the unit and doesn't really use the nav feature, so she wants me to put her factory Jag premium sound unit back in, which will leave me with the 5495 to install in the C5. I'm glad it won't be an ordeal.

One of my few disappointments with the 5495 is the loss of the AVC function, which will be even more important during top down driving in my vert. Is there a third party solution for this, so the volume will self adjust to noise?
Old 01-15-2006, 09:39 AM
Ironhead
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Originally Posted by JMc
Ironhead, did you ever get this resolved? What did you do?

BTW, I am SO GLAD I found this thread, because I was afraid I was going to have to do major surgery on my radio surround piece in order to make this work. So glad that it just involves notching at the top of the opening and the bottom bar.

I own an Eclipse 5495 that I installed in my wife's Jag S Type. Turns out, she doesn't like the complexity of the unit and doesn't really use the nav feature, so she wants me to put her factory Jag premium sound unit back in, which will leave me with the 5495 to install in the C5. I'm glad it won't be an ordeal.

One of my few disappointments with the 5495 is the loss of the AVC function, which will be even more important during top down driving in my vert. Is there a third party solution for this, so the volume will self adjust to noise?
Hi Jeff, No I did not get anything resolved other than to put the unit and the Eclipse CD changer up on a shelf in my garage! It looks like at least to me it may be more trouble than it worth it me. I drive this car daily and to tie it up for several days in my one car garage, and then having it maybe not work due to my lack of skills in the wiring dept ;-) just seems too much. I may just sell it on the forum or Ebay. The guy I bought it from said to just call him up when I'm ready to wire it up and he'd walk me through it. I tried several local installers in my area, Car Toys and several others; they seem indifferent about doing the job as I did not buy the radio from them. If I do decide to install I may buy a new console from Fred Bean to do the modification so not to &&^&$# up my original dash. Thanks for asking, any help you can offer would be appreciated

Craig
Old 01-15-2006, 01:45 PM
JMc
Le Mans Master

Location: "This is not a psychotic episode, but a cleansing moment of clarity."
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Craig, so sorry to hear of your disappointing hassle. I don't think I'll be able to help you much, because I bought mine from a local Eclipse dealer to get the 3-year warranty and installation, which I just didn't want to mess with, due to the complexity of wanting to add an amp, use factory the speakers and make everything reverseable. And since my wife wants her original factory unit back, it's a good thing I went that route...
Old 02-26-2006, 04:16 AM
bladez718
Cruising

Okay guys,, havent been here for few months,, like to say that the navi is going well. YOU WOULD ENJOY IT MORE IF U READ THE MANUAL, espeacially for the navigation directions. sometimes, it gives u undesirable direction which may take longer. Well, if you read the manual, it will make life alot easier,.,

OKAY,, Im having 2 issues..
1. I burned mp3 songs on cd, How come it wont work? it would oni work on the cd with like non mp3 songs, (couple songs)

2. I have sirius and it will show the title and name of the songs. but for radion, it wont show anything for song titles.. is there anyway getting around this?

Okay, for the cd mp3 situation, i read the manual on page 17. it has a bunch of reasons why it may not work. due to burning,, n so forth..

any1 can help me on this ? pLEASE

Last edited by bladez718; 02-26-2006 at 04:19 AM.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:44 PM
Paul4137
Pro

This is great news . I took the mesurments today and thought I could fit a double din with triming but have been looking in the forum to find if it could be done. That looks awsome and a lot less work. Thanks
Old 03-14-2006, 10:11 PM
ZDRpewter01
Pro

hey im lovin the type R. My car is all alpine throughout. gettin ready to install 2 12" r's in my 86

Quick Reply: C5 AVN 5435 install...large file.. Dial up beware