Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Might Need Some Help Installing Avic-n2

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 07:27 PM
priscilla ls1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Might Need Some Help Installing Avic-n2

I just might need some help from you guys i will post some pics and if you all have some tips for the install i will very much need it. i have an 02 Z06 with the stock bose system in it i will buy a wiring harness, gm antenna adapter and the head unit install kit. but will i have to buy the bose line level interface, the guy at the install shop said i might have to but he would have to take it out and see where my stock bose amp is at. i want to do the install myself because i think i am handy enough to do it and the guy was charging my way to much and wont be able to get to it tell mid feb. well i will start working on it tomorrow and hopfully i will get some feed back from somone that reads this. thanks a bunch.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:41 PM
scott_fx
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it's easy, we're here for ya , and you will need the bose interface. check out the c5 faq, there is a lot of useful info. there that will help you with your install.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:24 PM
priscilla ls1
Instructor

I wish i had the part # of that bose interface adapter. I am still looking for it. I have everything but that. And i don't want to get the wrong one i know it must be hard to find.

Is this the part I need?
http://www.cardomain.com/item/PERSVEN4

or can i just buy this?
http://www.cardomain.com/item/PERSVHGM4?vq_id=none

Last edited by priscilla ls1; 01-19-2006 at 10:36 PM.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:37 PM
priscilla ls1
Instructor

I am not adding an amp just replacing the h/u.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:14 AM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16

Put the same unit in my C5 about 6 months ago..used a Soundgate GMCRV1 interface for the bose speakers..works great and very easy to wire up..I did move the AC head unit to the top so the screen would not block the center AC ducts. Put the hidaway unit under the glove box.

I have made a few posts of how I wired up the system.

Good luk you will love it..

Last edited by FASTAZU; 01-20-2006 at 08:22 AM.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:45 AM
priscilla ls1
Instructor

Wow that looks great! i never thought about doing it that way might have to rethink my stratagy. i was hearing somthing about the dvd player not working if you are in motion and that you have to some how rig it to where you can drive and the dvd player will still work in motion. anyone ever heard of this.

Thanks again for the part#!
Old 01-20-2006, 09:38 AM
FASTAZU
Race Director

2018 C4 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16

Here is what I did..I know there are ways to do it but this worked for me.

I got the DVD to work by routing the video output to the rear camera plug and adding a switch to the backup wire.

1.) Connect the Parking Brake lead from the hide-away unit directly to ground.
2.) Connect the Reverse-Signal lead from the hide-away unit to a switch near your seat that your can activate while driving. Connect the other side of the switch to 12V power.
3.) Loop the video output from the top of the hide-away unit into the rear-view camera input on the bottom of the hide-away unit.
4.) In the AVIC-N2 initial setup screen, turn on the rear-view camera feature.
there will be a text message at the bottom of the screen that's meant for actual rear-view cam use, something to the effect of "CAUTION: IMAGE MAY APPEAR REVERSED

Speed Sensor hookup

Issue solved…. There is a green/white wire on the Radio harness; this is not the speed sensor wire it is a speaker wire.

After some, disassemble of the dash of course with the service Manual in hand! I found the right green/white wire. It goes to the plug on the back of the instrument cluster. Actually there are two green/whites, one is for the Oil Temp the other is the speed sensor wire.

After unplugging the connector from the cluster you will find two green/white stripe wires, you will want the Green/white (A7-circuit 817) with a Tan/white (A6-circuit 33) above it and a black (A8-circuit 150 ) below it..The other green/white (A10-circuit 357) oil temp has a blank and a gray on each side.

pin..wire
A5 Blank….
A6…Tan/White
A7 Speed Sensor…Green/White
A8…Black
A9 Blank
A10 Oil Temp…Green/White
A11…Gray
Old 01-21-2006, 11:10 AM
priscilla ls1
Instructor

Default Day 1

So i got started removing my old head unit from the car but as it turned out i need a diff part a sven2 so i orderd it and i should get it tuesday but untell then i will start with the other stuff.

here i am removing the old plastic trim by removing 3 screws, 2 under the a/c unit.

and one next to the ignition behing that little plastic thing.

there are also 2 bolts under the TC system button that have to be removed. pop off the plastic part with the TC button and you will see them.

removing them is easy just a rench.

Next unplug the TC system and the cigaret lighter. remove the the cigarret lighter just pull it out and turn it i had a little truble getting it out but it will come out.

Last edited by priscilla ls1; 01-21-2006 at 11:37 AM.
Old 01-21-2006, 11:57 AM
priscilla ls1
Instructor

Default Day 1

Now with everthing removed the cover will just pop off. pull it half way out and remove the second ciggaret lighter plug. it is like a clap but much easier to remove then the first one.

there now it is removed now we start removing the old radio. just 2 bolts on the side and the unit will just slide out. pull it out and unplug the old wiring harness.

There now it is removed. Put it aside and start wrouting the anttena plug under the A/C UNIT (this is only if you want the brain under the passanger seat or the driver seat).

Now here I am putting the brain under the pass seat i removed the back 2 bolts and here are the front plug and bolts. make sure you have all the bolts and screws organize and put in a safe spot you dont want to be missing screws in the end and have stuff rattaling.
Old 01-21-2006, 11:57 AM
priscilla ls1
Instructor

Default Day 1

Now with the seat removed you can start hiding the wires and leading the antenna and the navi plug. use the long anttena wire and remove the center counsole from its place. just with the 2 screws at the top and it should just lift off.

Now start wiring the wires around the P-brack and behind the carpet.
wow look at all the change i found under the seat!!

Now that the wires and where they should be install the brain not to close to the front of the car and not to far back but not in the middle.

antenna and navi wires,,,

Behind the carpet,,,,

and right behind the brain.
Old 01-21-2006, 12:06 PM
priscilla ls1
Instructor

Default Day 1

Now for the Navi antenna i wanted to place mine on the dash less notisible with one of the best reseptions.

now i just wrout the wires around the dash along the trim.

all the way under the panal and to the back of the brain behind the carpet.
That is all for day 1. friday jan 20. total time 2 hours 23 min 49 sec. will continue tommorw.
Old 01-21-2006, 03:52 PM
priscilla ls1
Instructor

Default Day 2

ok now on with the speen sensor the speed sensor first i remove the kick panal and the instrument cluster.

this screw on the left and 2 screws on the bottom of the panel.
and 2 screws on the top of the instrament gages. after that start wiggling it free. make sure the steering wheel is in the full down postion to free the cluster from the housing.

After it is free unplug the gages conector the one on the far left. the one the looks like it goes into the speedomoder.

Ok here it is.

The one you want is the green and white wire between the tan/white and black wire NOT between the black and gray.

Now conect the pink speed sensor whire to the brain and wrout it up through and behind the a/c unit and behind the instrument cluster.
Old 01-21-2006, 03:53 PM
priscilla ls1
Instructor

Default Day 2

Now connect it to the speed sensor using the conecter clamp.

Ok now you are done with that put the cluster back in and reinstall the kick panal.
ok now i am trying this for the first time i am trying to get video to play while the car is not in park to rig it this way here is how i was told.
Old 01-21-2006, 04:01 PM
priscilla ls1
Instructor

Default Day 2

1.) Connect the Parking Brake lead from the hide-away unit directly to ground.

2.) Connect the Reverse-Signal lead from the hide-away unit to a switch near your seat that your can activate while driving. Connect the other side of the switch to 12V power.(I have to still buy a toggle switch) but it will go here i want it in the center console.

3.) Loop the video output from the top of the hide-away unit into the rear-view camera input on the bottom of the hide-away unit.(I will do this tommorw, all i need it a yellow video rca plug.)
4.) In the AVIC-N2 initial setup screen, turn on the rear-view camera feature.
there will be a text message at the bottom of the screen that's meant for actual rear-view cam use, something to the effect of "CAUTION: IMAGE MAY APPEAR REVERSED
time spent today. 3 hours 35 min 58 sec. see you all tomorrow.

Last edited by priscilla ls1; 01-21-2006 at 04:06 PM.
Old 01-21-2006, 06:08 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

2018 C4 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16

Lookn Good .... Nice write up...
Old 01-28-2006, 05:38 PM
priscilla ls1
Instructor

Well guys My part finaly came in and the install is done but i cant seem to get it to work right. it will not turn on. like i wanted to know before can you bench test this to see if it is hooked up right. anyone know of this problem anyone live in the D.C area that has one and can help or just knows a little about aftermarket installs?
Old 01-28-2006, 06:24 PM
priscilla ls1
Instructor

Found this in the F&Q sticky
I added an aftermarket Headunit but it won't turn on, what do i do now?
When the bose head unit is removed from the wire harness the accessories power lead is disconnected by the pcm. The acc wire is what 'tells' your headunit to turn on so you'll have to tap into some other source for this. The easiest place to tap this lead from is fuse number 22 under the passenger floor board.
I think this is what i am looking for how do i get to the passanger floor board?

Get notified of new replies

To Might Need Some Help Installing Avic-n2

Old 01-28-2006, 07:02 PM
priscilla ls1
Instructor

I GOT IT!! thank you scott fx for your helpfull thread!!
I will post more pics and the finished product tomorrow without all the bugs.
Old 02-04-2006, 02:39 PM
priscilla ls1
Instructor

ok well after connecting the acc wire to the yellow wire located next to the BCM in the passangers kick panal. start putting together the harness that the avic will sit in. all so here is a tip for getting all of your nav functions to work and the dvd player to play while car is in motion.
On the H/U underneath the unit is a small silver sticker, peel this back. There are two contacts with the label "R197" or label “F197” there should be two soldier points loop a wire between those two points AND DONE!!!! Everything bypassed, this is the way I did it and it works fine the silver sticker is under the avic-n2 factory harness. after you are done with that put the h/u. in the mount and screw it in now just reverse everything you did to uninstall and your done. If anyone has any questions about this send me a pm. I will post more pics soon. The system is in and works great.
Old 02-04-2006, 03:08 PM
scott_fx
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by priscilla ls1
ok well after connecting the acc wire to the yellow wire located next to the BCM in the passangers kick panal. start putting together the harness that the avic will sit in. all so here is a tip for getting all of your nav functions to work and the dvd player to play while car is in motion.
On the H/U underneath the unit is a small silver sticker, peel this back. There are two contacts with the label "R197" or label “F197” there should be two soldier points loop a wire between those two points AND DONE!!!! Everything bypassed, this is the way I did it and it works fine the silver sticker is under the avic-n2 factory harness. after you are done with that put the h/u. in the mount and screw it in now just reverse everything you did to uninstall and your done. If anyone has any questions about this send me a pm. I will post more pics soon. The system is in and works great.

wow i missed all of your posts until this one. sorry but it looks like the faq helped you anyways

i can't believe you tried that bypass though! i thought it was a myth. we should tell EG about this. I think doing it though voids the warranty, unless that sticker isn't a security sticker then you're all set. great write up too

Quick Reply: Might Need Some Help Installing Avic-n2