Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Ready to Upgrade System - - Need Speaker Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2001, 07:34 PM
rookievetter
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ready to Upgrade System - - Need Speaker Help

I'm finally ready to replace the stock system in my 01 C5 and am down to making a selection on the front speaker replacement. I know the topic has been posted before, but with the new forum I cannot seem to get the search on archived posts to work. So...what's everyone done with respect to replacing the front and rear speakers. I've selected the Rockford 600.5 amp to drive the new front and rears and a JL Audio sub. Thanks in advance!
Old 08-13-2001, 11:38 PM
LS1Vette
Navigator

Default Re: Ready to Upgrade System - - Need Speaker Help (rookievetter)

I went with a Boston Acoustic Pro series 5.25" with the tweeter mounted in the axis and a 4" Boston Pro. Tons of room in that door
Old 08-20-2001, 08:18 PM
synack
Instructor

The config for the Coupe has an 8" Sub and a 3" speaker in the doors. The Rears are 6.5"

A 6.5" coaxial would be nice in the rears and a 6.5" component set in the front. Unfortunately, this kills all the bass so the sub in back would take care of that.

For my system, I put Infinity 60.3CS in front and an Infinity 63.3I set in the rear. Sub in the rear center well.
Old 08-20-2001, 09:26 PM
99HT
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Ready to Upgrade System - - Need Speaker Help (synack)

First thing you need to do is figure out how many channels of power amps are you going to add. Next you have to figure out if you are going to add a sub.

Put as big a speaker in the front sub hole that you can, an 8 inch is best. Putting a 2 or three way speaker in the front sub hole is a waste of time. The speakers point at your feet. Tweeters are very directional. You are better off with a new 8 inch sub and keeping the Bose 3.5 inch midrange. Next add tweeters that point at the occupants heads. You will have to mount them high on the door, front pillar or dash.

You will need to add at least a 5 channel amp. You can parallel or series the subs in the door. The Bose midranges and tweeters will need external crossover.
Old 08-21-2001, 12:34 AM
RockinC5
Racer

I went with 6.5 Fosgate Fanatic Q's in the front and 5.25 in the back. They're above average and affordable (very important for me)... I've already replaced the 5.25's due to extreme volume and I'm sure they won't be the last. I'm also running two sets of tweeters with each speaker, the four tweeters mounted in the front doors are angle mounted so they fire up towards the seats. The four in the back are angle mounted so they fire forward towards the seats. The best way to get good sound from a tweeter is to have it "fire" off the widshield but there is no easy way to do that in a C5 without cutting up the dash (no way I'd do that!). I have a few pics of my install on my forum webpage, just click on RockinC5 below. If you're not a big fan of LOUD then you may want to look at Focal or MB Quartz, they have excellent sound quality but they are a bit pricy. For good online prices, check out http://www.speedsound.com, some of the best prices I've seen. :D
Old 08-21-2001, 01:30 AM
jcarlson
Heel & Toe

Default Re: Ready to Upgrade System - - Need Speaker Help (99HT)

First thing you need to do is figure out how many channels of power amps are you going to add. Next you have to figure out if you are going to add a sub.

Put as big a speaker in the front sub hole that you can, an 8 inch is best. Putting a 2 or three way speaker in the front sub hole is a waste of time. The speakers point at your feet. Tweeters are very directional. You are better off with a new 8 inch sub and keeping the Bose 3.5 inch midrange. Next add tweeters that point at the occupants heads. You will have to mount them high on the door, front pillar or dash.

You will need to add at least a 5 channel amp. You can parallel or series the subs in the door. The Bose midranges and tweeters will need external crossover.
I did use a component system, the Diamond Audio 600s series. Since the installer had to make a custom mount for the door anyway, I had him angle the tweeters up at the passenger and driver. It made a world of difference and was very easy for him to do.

Get notified of new replies

To Ready to Upgrade System - - Need Speaker Help

Quick Reply: Ready to Upgrade System - - Need Speaker Help