Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Another AVIC D1 install and Gentex Mirror

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 12:46 PM
JMc
Le Mans Master

Location: "This is not a psychotic episode, but a cleansing moment of clarity."
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mwalczak
I have taken a few and was not happy with the results. It looks like a mirror except it has a compass, temp, and garge door opener built into it. The thing that I like most is the lighting. They call it mood lighting, which is just a soft light that illuminates the console area at night. Anyway I wiil try again to tak some photo's.

Mike
My stock '02 mirror also has this "mood" lighting. How is the Gentex different? Is it brighter or...? And do the map lights on the mirror generally look the same as the map lights on the stock unit? Seems to me that the ambient light is amber and the map lights have a blue-ish cast to them on the stock unit. What about the Gentex?

Sorry for all these questions about the mirror, but I'm really interested in getting one but they are not inexpensive. Just doing my due dilligence, here.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:40 PM
mwalczak
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My stock mirror did not have the mood lighting option, so I can't comment on this feature. As for the map light it's more of amber color and is very effective, just as good as my stock unit. The main reason I purchased this mirror was for the Homelink and of all the crazy things the compass. After that I figuired since it was some money I might as well buy the one with all the bells and wistles and I was not disapointed.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:01 PM
eitspc5
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mwalczak
Just to install the head unit takes about a day todo, so figuire on $400.00. I pretty much told them what to do, and really wasn't that hard, so I would not be scared to do it myself.

Mike
Mike did they provide the custom bezel? If not how much did they charge to do that?

Very nice install by the way! Like the mirror, but $350 is a bit steep for me to get homelink, which is why I like it.

Thanks,
Rick

Quick Reply: Another AVIC D1 install and Gentex Mirror