Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Dumb question...

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 05:15 PM
Joe0121
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Default Dumb question...

say I wanted to put two alipne X series 12's and a sizeable amp in a Z. I'd like to put the speakers behind the seats. What is on the other side of the cabin behind the seats other then the wheel well. does anyone have any experiance installing big speakers in these things?
Old 03-02-2006, 05:24 PM
Futfixr
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have an answer, sorry, but you definitely need to go buy a ricer to thump thump. The vette you see is more, shall we say, refined.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:28 PM
Joe0121
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Futfixr
I don't have an answer, sorry, but you definitely need to go buy a ricer to thump thump. The vette you see is more, shall we say, refined.
lol, I dont even listen to rap... But Slipknot - Wait and bleed @ 1000 watts RMS is nothing to sneeze at.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:35 PM
Ego-Trip
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 5-6-7-8 Veteran

I'm not exactly sure what/where you are talking about. Here is a pic of the cargo area of mine after installing the Lloys mat.

What you see is what you get. Thats all the cargo area there is. If you are talking about modifying something back there, the #1 thing you need to watch out for is going to be the fuel tanks, they are directly under the area in the pic up by the front seats.

Other than that, I'm not really sure how I can help.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:37 PM
Joe0121
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by 2k1 Vette
I'm not exactly sure what/where you are talking about. Here is a pic of the cargo area of mine after installing the Lloys mat.

What you see is what you get. Thats all the cargo area there is. If you are talking about modifying something back there, the #1 thing you need to watch out for is going to be the fuel tanks, they are directly under the area in the pic up by the front seats.

Other than that, I'm not really sure how I can help.
How deep is it?
Old 03-02-2006, 06:02 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Moved to audio section, no different than the C6 which many people have added to.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:06 PM
fej
Melting Slicks

If you are talking about the area directly behind the seats that is flat and the seatbacks rest against I highly doubt that you would be able to create anything more than a couple of inches of depth to place a speaker in. The fiberglass there does not feel very thick either and would require some pretty serious reinforcement especially with the kind of watts you are talking about. I guess with some sort of aperiodic membrane you could create a pseudo enclosure there but personally I would be heading to a junkyard to fully investigate what sort of room and what EXACTLY is back there (IE wiring/fuel lines etc) in that space before I even considered cutting into that area.

G'luck
Fej
Old 03-02-2006, 10:08 PM
Joe0121
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by fej
If you are talking about the area directly behind the seats that is flat and the seatbacks rest against I highly doubt that you would be able to create anything more than a couple of inches of depth to place a speaker in. The fiberglass there does not feel very thick either and would require some pretty serious reinforcement especially with the kind of watts you are talking about. I guess with some sort of aperiodic membrane you could create a pseudo enclosure there but personally I would be heading to a junkyard to fully investigate what sort of room and what EXACTLY is back there (IE wiring/fuel lines etc) in that space before I even considered cutting into that area.

G'luck
Fej
I thought so. I think the money would be better spent on a Dyno tune and some headers. Ill save the system for my G/F car as a little unexpected surprise.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:39 PM
fej
Melting Slicks

Pick up a subthump.com box a 10" sub of your liking and a solid 300+ watt amp and an adaptor and the stock system will sound pretty decent. Another $80-$100 for a set of 3.5" speakers with a real tweeter to replace the twiddlers and you will be much happier than you are with the stock blose crap.

Fej
Old 04-04-2006, 03:14 PM
Joe0121
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by fej
Pick up a subthump.com box a 10" sub of your liking and a solid 300+ watt amp and an adaptor and the stock system will sound pretty decent. Another $80-$100 for a set of 3.5" speakers with a real tweeter to replace the twiddlers and you will be much happier than you are with the stock blose crap.

Fej
Thanks for the help I just want nice quality bass.
Old 04-04-2006, 04:13 PM
Maine Z16
Advanced

I have Alpine X components in the front and (1) Alpine Type R 10" Sub in the trunk and the car sounds awesome. You definitely wouldn't need more than (1) 12" Type X Sub. That would be Killer

BRYAN

Get notified of new replies

To Dumb question...

Quick Reply: Dumb question...