Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Head unit replacement in a C4

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2001, 10:38 PM
six_speed
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Head unit replacement in a C4

I talked with a local shop today and they said they can replace the Bose head unit with my new JVC unit.
They will have to install a resistor pack to use the existing amp and speakers. Ever heard of such a thing?

It's a 93 with Bose Gold.

Thanks for all your help
Old 08-15-2001, 03:18 PM
95DropTop
Pro

Default Re: Head unit replacement in a C4 (six_speed)

Those adapters rarely work and even when they do it's usually not for long and the quality sucks
:smash:
:chevy
Old 08-15-2001, 03:53 PM
92TripleBlack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Head unit replacement in a C4 (95DropTop)

I agree. Save the money and use it towards some quality speakers as replacements instead of sticking with the Blose system.
92TripleBlack
Old 08-16-2001, 03:15 PM
shcuck
Instructor

Default Re: Head unit replacement in a C4 (six_speed)

I will have to agree. These adaptors do not work and are not cheap. I had one installed with a JVC headunit, and I had to go back to stock, becuase the sound was terrible and the Adapter had to be replaced twice and still did not work. As they say, save the money and replace entire sound system or repair your Bose if necesary.
Old 08-16-2001, 05:54 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,167 Likes on 486 Posts

Default Re: Head unit replacement in a C4 (95DropTop)

I beg to differ. I use the AudioLink PD-4 to adapt the Bose head unit to a pair of Pro JBL amps and use the stock speakers with the addition of a tweeter in the rear. Due to the addition of clean, high power, the stock system could NEVER sound like this! In addition to the availability of being able to optimize the levels between the head unit and the amp, the AudioLink also has a 35Hz variable, gain/cut **** for the rear channels to compensate for the preset equalization in the stock Bose amps.

Although I use the unit to link the Bose head unit to an aftermarket amp, it can also be used to connect an aftermarket head to the Bose amps and at least the interface could sound just as clean as the way I have it connected (though the amps won't sound as clean as the higher powered JBLs).
Old 08-17-2001, 01:37 PM
six_speed
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Head unit replacement in a C4 (toddalin)

Thanks for the advice guys. I've decided to pull all the Bose equipment and replace it with a new amp and speakers. Current estimate is about $900.00 for all the equipment and labor. I just feel more comfortable not trying to modify the existing system.

Get notified of new replies

To Head unit replacement in a C4

Quick Reply: Head unit replacement in a C4