Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Amp question......

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2001, 08:42 AM
GiDvEtTe84
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Amp question......

Hello everyone. I have a question. My stereo system in my Vette consists of an aftermarket pioneer cd deck, a pioneer 450W 12" subwoofer, and its being pushed my a 200 watt amp. Everything else is factory. Now, the amp is a two channel, so does that mean it is 100 watts per channel? That 12 is the only speaker i have hooked up to it. I have it bridged. But am i still just gettin 100 watts to the speaker? Would it be ok to hook up both channels to this speaker since it is a 450 watt speaker? I know its alot of questions. Thanks!!!!
Old 08-27-2001, 10:33 AM
92TripleBlack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Amp question...... (GiDvEtTe84)

By bridging the amp you effectively double the power of the amp so it is currently running at 200w. Who makes the amp? Is the sub clipping or distorting at high volume? Any problems? What is it crossed over at?
92TripleBlack
Old 08-27-2001, 01:02 PM
GiDvEtTe84
Drifting

Default Re: Amp question......

Thanks for the help. I dont remember what the name brand is but it probably is a cheap one. It has a built in cross over. I do hear some distortion too. I will let you know what kind it is when i get a chance.
Old 08-27-2001, 02:21 PM
92TripleBlack
Safety Car

I would check the wires for good ground and use good quality wires to get rid of the noise as much as possible. Also, try to run the RCAs away from the power wire. Lastly, check to make sure your antenna ground is hooked up and if you replaced any ignition wires that you have shielding. If your sub is distorting, you may need more power to properly power it. Most times, subs distort because they have to little, not to much power. Also, depending on the brand, the power ratings are calculated differently. If you have a good quality amp, they usually rate the power as continuous and lower quality quote peak output. Is this your sub?

Pioneer TSW302C Car 12" Subwoofer For Ported Or Sealed Enclosures (Brand New)

soundcityoutlet.com's price
$49.00

FEATURES
High Performance Subwoofer Series
IMPP (Injection Molded Polyproplene) Composite Cone Woofer
Long Throw Design for Higher SPL
Dual Layer Surround for Improved Transient Response
44 oz. Heavy Weight Strontium Magnet
Conex Damper (Single for C Series)
Pioneer Original Damper Ring Technique for Added Reliability
Black Coated Wide Aperture Frame
Long Stroke Magnetic Circuitry
Long Voice Coil for Increased Linearity
Glass Imide Voice Coil Bobbin
Vented Center Pole Yoke for Better Heat Dissipation
Projected Pole Yoke for Symmetrical Excursion and Improved Linearity
Large Sized Spade Terminal (Both Positive)
450 Watts Max. Music Power
150 Watts Nominal
Use Sealed or Ported Enclosure
Freq Response 18Hz-3kHz
Qts 0.331
Sensitivity 93dB (1m/1W)
4 ohm rated

If it is, this is a 150 watt sub continuous and 200w should be plenty. I would put it in a sealed 3/4" MDF box of about 1 cubic foot half filled with polyfill for best performance.
92TripleBlack
Old 08-27-2001, 02:54 PM
GiDvEtTe84
Drifting

Thanks. I will try those things. I looked at the amp, it is a Hermosa 150s. I have never heard of this brand before. It might be a 150 watt amp then, i thought it was a 200. Do you know anything about this amp? Thanks a bunch. :cheers:
Old 08-28-2001, 12:24 AM
92TripleBlack
Safety Car

Here's your amp:

HERMOSA
2 Ch, 100 watt x 2, High Current Amp w / Built in Switchable Lowpass X-Over
300 Watts Max Power
50 Watts R.M.S. x 2 @ 4ohms, <0.05% THD @ Rated Power
75 Watts R.M.S. x 2 @ 2ohms, <0.1% THD @ Rated Power
150 Watts R.M.S. Mono @ 4ohms, <0.1% THD @ Rated Power
Frequency Response: 10 Hz to 40Khz
Signal to Noise Ratio: -90 dBa
Channel Separation: -65 dBa
Low Level Input:
Sensitivity: 100mV to 2V
Impedance: 10K Ohm
High Level Input:
Sensitivity: 1V to 10V
Impedance 100 Ohm
Switchable Low Pass X-Over
80 hz / 12db
Switchable Bass Boost: 50 Hz / 6db
2 Ohm Stable
1,2 or 3 Speaker Operation
Internally Bridgeable
Soft Start
Remote Turn On
Protection Circuitry
Gold Plated RCA jacks, Speaker Output Terminals, & Power Terminals
MOSFET Power Supply

Suggested Retail……$280.00 OUR PRICE $225.00 (sorry no pic)

It was tough to find. I was only able to find two sites that actually had any references and one was located in South Africa. It looks like the company that makes your amp, L.A. Sound International markets to overseas markets with the sales pitch of get that "American car sterio thump" or something. Needless to say, I don't know anything about the amp but from these published specs it looks like the correct size for your sub. I would however be highly suspect of whoever sold it to you as it may very well be something that is only available as an overseas item and therefore not have any warranty(grey market special). The companies website, http://www.lasound.com doesn't work either. Here's the companies vitals:

LA Sound International, Inc.
9068 Rosecrans Ave.
Bellflower, CA 90706
USA
310/602-0572
310/602-1390 (Fax)

Jane Reeh (Support) lasound@lasound.com
LA Sound International, Inc.
Can you tell my current job includes doing financial research?
Good luck

92TripleBlack
:cheers: ;)
Old 08-28-2001, 09:55 AM
GiDvEtTe84
Drifting

Hey 92TripleBlack,
Youve done alot of homework for me!! Thanks for clearing that up. L8r man! :seeya
Old 09-02-2001, 12:51 AM
DTor85
Intermediate

To add to tripleblack's comments, subs will also distort if they are in an improper box. If the sub is in a box that is too large, it will sount "sloppy", i.e. the sub will not have enough control to accurately reproduce the sounds that are sent to it. Also, when an amp is bridged, the continuous power of a good quality amp will actually quadruple. Let me explain: If a 2 channel amp is rated at 100w x 2 into 4 ohms cont., that means that it has the capability of putting out 100 watts into each of 2 speakers constantly. As most car speakers have an impedance of 4 ohms, this is generally how most car audio amps are rated. If the amps load is cut in half to 2 ohms, each channel should put out 200 watts. This situation occurs when 2 speakers or 2 voice coils are wired in parallel to one channel of the amp. Still with me?? Now, when an amp is bridged, each channel's load is effectively cut in half, to 2 ohms per channel. So EACH channel will put out 200 watts. When these 2 channels are combined onto one speaker, the speaker actually receives 400 watts. :eek:
This situation only applies to high quality amps w/ a good power supply. Unfortunately, not to rag, an LA Sound amp is unable to perform in this manner, as they are not built this way. Sorry.

Get notified of new replies

To Amp question......

Quick Reply: Amp question......