Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Stereo for a 91

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2001, 10:42 PM
your drinking buddy
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Default Stereo for a 91

What would be a good stereo that plays MP3's, saves space, and will cost less than 2K installed?

I want a thump from the sub(s), but nothing overpowering with real clear sound.
Old 09-08-2001, 01:45 AM
92TripleBlack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Stereo for a 91 (vettes rule)

If you can install it yourself you will save 50-100$ an hour labor. They usually charge 1-2 hours per component. 4 speakers, amp, deck, and sub would probably be $500 labor.
Get yourself for the front a quality set of seperate speakers. Listen to some and pick what you like the best sound wise to buy. I'd listen to Boston Acoustics, Diamond, A/D/S, MB Quart to name a few. You'll need 5 1/4 for the front and expect to pay $300 on them. Next pick a deck. I'd look at Alpine or Pioneer for this price range. They will cost around 4-600$. Now for the rear. You want to save space. Does this mean no sub box, small sub box, or removable sub box?
If no sub box, get 6x9 speakers for the back but don't expect any real bass. Look at above makers for good quailty ones.
If small box, look for a single 8" or 10" sub in a sealed enclosure. These are the smallest types that will still deliver bass. You can also build your own from basic supplies from home depot and a subwoofer. The woofer will probably cost 2-300$ for a good one. If you buy a ready made box it will be similar in price but not quite as good quality.
Lastly you'll need an amp. Get one that is 5 channel like a soundstream rubicon or a 4 channel and a 2 channel you can bridge for the sub. Expect a good amp to be about 3-400 each. This should cover you and get you under your $2000. If I was buying it I'd get:

Alpine CDA-7965 $545
A/D/S 345IS Speakers front $359
A/D/S 236IM Speakers rear $199
Soundstream Rubicon 805 amp $750
AudioBahn AW100S Sub $120
Sealed Box, wire, kits, $200
Total: $2200

All parts are priced from http://www.mmxpress.com

92TripleBlack
Mp3 is the hard part as there are not may made yet. Alpine I hear should have one shortly. The web site also has some mp3 but its pretty weak right now. I'd just burn CDs for a while and get a good CD player.

[Modified by 92TripleBlack, 12:14 AM 9/8/2001]

[Modified by 92TripleBlack, 12:16 AM 9/8/2001]
Old 09-08-2001, 08:27 PM
your drinking buddy
Race Director

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Default Re: Stereo for a 91 (92TripleBlack)

Can a sub fit in the small glove box area in the back? If not, can a sub box be made so a top will still fit in the back and be removable?
Old 09-08-2001, 09:52 PM
92TripleBlack
Safety Car

I don't have the back of your car as mine is a convertable but I'm sure you could. You would have to see how much space you have to work with. The glove is to small but I have a 12" sub box in the back of mine as well as seperates and 3 amps and the roof folds down on top of it no problem. The material you would work with is 3/4" thick. So if you add the top and bottom thickness, its 1 1/2" thick. Then you have the mounting depth of the sub at 5" and a volume of .6 cubic feet. This gives you a box that is at least 7 3/4" high(3/4 + 5 + 1 +1 for the top of the box) You would also want a little extra inside the box and some air on top of the speaker before it gets to the roof. If you have 10" from the floor to the bottom of the roof you're ok. For a box that tall (7" inside would be ideal) the rest of the box would need to be 12x12 inside or an outer boxsize of 13.5x13.5x8.5 inches. Not to big. Thats a little under .6 cubic feet. My box for my 12" is one cubic foot, plus two more compartments for the seperates that add another .4 cubic feet. Again that's for a sealed box. A ported box is much larger. Hope this helps.
92TripleBlack

Old 09-08-2001, 10:31 PM
Dave84/76
Racer

Brian, there are several good units out there, that read MP3 files, for $400 - $500 and most reputable shops will install them for $30-50. We charge $30 if you purchase from us and $40 if you already have it (plus whatever parts are needed) at my shop in Atlanta.
Old 09-09-2001, 12:49 AM
92TripleBlack
Safety Car

Default Re: Stereo for a 91 (Dave84/76)

It depends on your location for install rates. In our area, its 50-75 but I'm just out of NYC. You may get good shops for less by you. But installing is really not very hard with a little patience and knowledge. With a vette, all you really need is a torx, 7mm driver, phillips head, crimps and crimper, and a meter or test light and you're off. Now putting a system in an '86 Ferrari Mondial or a '59 Rolls Royce Silver Cloud is a little different. The rolls had to have over 120 flat head screws removed to run a wire to the trunk where the battery was. And since they were flat heads, you had to be very careful that you didn't slip out of the screw and dig into some 40 year old leather. :eek:
Talk about evil :reddevil
92TripleBlack

Get notified of new replies

To Stereo for a 91

Quick Reply: Stereo for a 91