Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Bose Stero System Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2001, 03:43 PM
Bradley3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bose Stero System Questions

I've heard that if I replace the stock Bose stereo on my 92 that I'll have to replace all of my speakers as well.

I've also heard that the actual RECIEVER for my radio is somewhere other than behind the faceplate.

I saw a REALLY sweet JVC stero at Best Buy today, made to fit GM cars. I'm wondering if I bought it if I would be able to easily install it... or if I should just stick w/ my original plan and hook up a 10 disk cd changer.
Thanks
Old 09-13-2001, 11:37 PM
92TripleBlack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Bose Stero System Questions (Bradley3)

The speakers will need to be replaced. The Bose system has amps at each speaker. Aftermarket decks are not designed to work with these amps. Buying a CD that is designed to fit the opening is ok but not critical. They add extra cost on to these units and many times they don't have many features like front and rear RCA outputs. A regular DIN(standard size) unit will fit in the dash with an installation kit. Kits go for about 20-30$. You would want to put 5 1/4 speakers in the front. Either coax or seperates. Coax has the tweeter mounted infront of the woofer. They are usually lower priced but they don't sound as good and you will loose highs because the tweet will be by your feet. Expect coax to go from $75-125 a pair and seperates to be $125-300 depending on what you want. Unfortunately, $300 do sound much better than $125. Many people like MB Quart, Boston Acoustic, Diamond, and other brands. My suggestion is to go to a sterio shop, not mass market but car sterio specific, and listen to them in a sound room. The one that sounds the best to you is the best speaker for you. Bring a good quality CD of your own to listen to so you have a good frame of reference.
The rear fits 6 1/2 or 6x9. If you plan to add a sub, I suggest the first. If no sub use the second. The same brands and listening applies to these speakers as well. One brand that is very good I know of has great sounding 4 1/4 and terrible 5 1/4. Go figure. Don't be afraid to mix brands. Aftermarket is all pretty interchangable. Lastly, if you are going to mount a disc changer already, if you can find the room, mount an amp for the speakers as well. A minimum of 25w per speaker will do to start off. 100w will take no prisoners. Don't be fooled by decks with power. If they advertise 25wx4 they really have more like 6wx4. The amp will make a world of difference. Amps of this size are usually 2-300$.
Let me know if you have any other questions.
:cheers: 92TripleBlack
Old 09-14-2001, 09:44 AM
Bradley33
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Bose Stero System Questions (Bradley3)

do I still have to somehow run my harness from my stereo to the back where the receiver is now?

If so, what is the easiest way to do this?
Old 09-14-2001, 12:28 PM
92TripleBlack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Bose Stero System Questions (Bradley33)

No. The receiver is just an FM tuner. Your deck has an FM tuner built into it. All it needs is power, ground, ignition, speaker wires and antenna. All these wires are behind the deck in the dash and not at the receiver. There is no reason to have to remove or gain access to the tuner except to fix the tuner, sell it, or loose weight for the track.
92TripleBlack

Get notified of new replies

To Bose Stero System Questions

Quick Reply: Bose Stero System Questions