Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

how do power antenna's work?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 05:20 PM
scott_fx
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default how do power antenna's work?

So I finally decided to use a power antenna to automate something in my car. question is, how well can they be controlled. can i simply control the stop point by cutting power? or will it try to fully extend when power resumes to the motor? also, how does it retract? is it as simple as reversing polarity to the motor?

thanks in advance,

scott

edit: why did i put an apostrophe in the subject?

Last edited by scott_fx; 10-05-2006 at 05:27 PM.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:48 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 171 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by scott_fx
So I finally decided to use a power antenna to automate something in my car. question is, how well can they be controlled. can i simply control the stop point by cutting power? or will it try to fully extend when power resumes to the motor? also, how does it retract? is it as simple as reversing polarity to the motor?

thanks in advance,

scott

edit: why did i put an apostrophe in the subject?
Woundn't a Linear Actuator work better for you?
Not sure what you want to do but the Antenna uses a nylon ribbon w/teeth and I would guess with more poressure it would wear out faster
Old 10-05-2006, 05:51 PM
scott_fx
Le Mans Master

a linear actuator would work but it's a bit overkill. the piece i'm moving is about 12"x12"x1/8" panel so it's not that heavy and it'll just be sliding. And plus a power antenna is about 1/5 of the price too!
Old 10-05-2006, 08:18 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

i know older hondas had a seperate antenna switch that u pushed up or down. most power antennas when power is removed from the "remote wire" it retracts back in
Old 10-06-2006, 12:20 AM
0Audio Dave
Former Vendor

Location: Murfreesboro, TN. "I'm like a kid in a candy store everytime I see a Corvette!!"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Power antennas use a constant 12 volt wire, a ground wire, and a switched wire. When the switched wire gets voltage, the antenna goes up, when it looses it, antenna goes down. Now as for the switched circuit, I have not checked if the wire actually powers down the antenna by creating a ground circuit, or if it would stop going down if the circuit were open (no ground or power...) might want to get the digital voltmeter out for this one...

Of course, a latching relay may work in your case... but maybe the antenna circuit thing may be cheaper...
Old 10-06-2006, 08:01 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 171 Likes on 148 Posts

my friends 1992 (or 1993) Thunderchicken (Thunderbird) had a separate switch as well. if he still had the car I would look at it but he sold it probably 4 years ago..
Old 10-06-2006, 02:25 PM
scott_fx
Le Mans Master

argh! ok...i'll just bite the bullet and get a linear actuator
Old 09-28-2017, 04:33 AM
Mouthpear
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scott_fx
argh! ok...i'll just bite the bullet and get a linear actuator
I know this is so old and I hope you didn't buy an actuator. The answer for simple manual on/off is just two toggle (any simple on off switches will do) on/off switches. Common power is connected to the common on both switches. (Keep then close together for single finger operation) . Each switch gets either the remote wire or the power wire. To extend antenna simply flip both switches to ON. When desired extension reached turn off both switches. (The power wire switch can be turned off by itself but when you turn it back on the antenna will keep extending) To retract the antenna simply just turn on the single switch with the power wire. Done.

There are other ways to rewire them to work with limits so if you wanna know just ask.

Like I said this is very old but if you or others wanna try to use them in this manner I wanna help. TY

Last edited by Mouthpear; 09-28-2017 at 04:40 AM. Reason: Spelling

Get notified of new replies

To how do power antenna's work?

Quick Reply: how do power antenna's work?