Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Speakers and Amp?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 07:18 PM
easyasone2three
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speakers and Amp?

Scott I have been looking at all of the great advice that you and all the well educated forum members have been offering everyone in the audio forum. I have been searching the forum for awhile but am a little bogged down with some of the terms and not knowing how much things cost. To me this stuff is far more complicated than the motor mods which I have already delved into and have a good direction in.

Let me tell you where I am at and I know you will have some good advice. I'll keep it short. You are gonna say YEA RIGHT!

Stock Bose system-2001 Coupe.
I can learn to do the work myself.
Like everyone I want better sound without blowing my budget (for the supercharger, Z06 wheels, etc.-etc.)
Really enjoying the car but the sound sucks.
I live in Riverside and went to the Audio Shoppe here as a starting place to see what they would say - which was amp (Genesis or Altec) and MMATS 69 cx speakers in doors. These speakers have the tweeter in the center of the speaker. $1400 installed including sound deadening in doors and wiring. I think I can do better myself with a little help.

This is where I am at and this is about what I want to spend now but DIY.

I think that I would be better off with speakers and tweeters separate in the doors (I guess that this is a "component system") I have seen some people put the tweeters in the door pulls which looks good to me and I could do this myself.
Questions:
#1 - Is a component system and amp going to get the much improved sound that I want or should I look to do more? (HUnit etc.) I know that "the-sky-is-the-limit" but bottom line is I just don't want the crappy sound and buzzing that I have now!(No it's not the Bose things buzzing, I checked) I want to make a good improvement that I might want to add on to later. It never ends does it?
#2 - What are your suggestions for speakers and amp for my price range? Let me know what you think so I can begin to research and learn.
#3 - If it would be better to spend a little more to do more what should I be looking at and researching?
#4 - If I find a component speaker system and amp that I like how tough is it to wire the amp, interface and speakers? I have wired up CD's and speakers in cars before so I think I can figure it out with some directions. I have looked at the amp mounting locations on the forum.
#5 - Is there someone around here that has a good sound system that I could hear and who might be willing to give some advice?

Thanks so much and keep up the great work Scott and the Audio Forum!

John
Old 11-15-2006, 07:29 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Ill just throw some random things out hear in no particular order lol.
First whats your actual budget or number you are aiming for. To get the most out of your stuff you really should replace the radio. Components (aka seperates) and an amp are the way to go. Nice components (not crazy high end audiophile) can be had for well under 200 dollars it all depends on how crazy you wanna go. Deadening in the doors is kinda a must IMO but if you do it yourself you will save tons of money. For example dynamat is retardly expensive, edead is way less. This is deff something you can do yourself no questions asked, what you need to do is figure out your exact goals.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:41 PM
easyasone2three
Instructor

Thanks Pentavolvo.

I don't want to get too crazy - just want my CSNY and Tom Petty to sound like they should.

I am also going to insulate the whole interior of the car. I have been reading on the forum about that. I'll definately check out edead.

Back to the sound system - suggestions that I can look into? I am a pushover but I really would like to stay at around $2000 or less - The supercharger is in sight!
Old 11-15-2006, 08:42 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IX Veteran

christ for under 2g u can have a killer setup... were u planning on doing a sub in back or were you gonna go with out it
Old 11-15-2006, 09:04 PM
easyasone2three
Instructor

Well Pentavolvo I don't know, that's why I am asking your advice. As you advised, and Scott also said, get rid of the stock head unit. I think that means the stock 12 CD changer will also have to go right?

I can picture me putting in a sub in the back. I can picture me figuring out how to change the speakers in the doors and adding tweeters somewhere and wiring an amp up.

What I am having trouble with is me replacing the whole system. Fitting a new HU in the dash etc. I guess I just got to quit being a puss and do this right.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:09 PM
scott_fx
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i should have a couple of you guys over to my place one weekend so we can all work on the cars and i can help you when you hit a stumbling block. if you are willing to spend 2g's i have a killer setup for you!
Old 11-16-2006, 01:50 AM
scott_fx
Le Mans Master

here is a killer combo in my opinion:

Head Unit:
maybe a used Clarion DRZ-9255
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...8&page=1&pp=10
$575

or maybe
eclipse 8053
http://cgi.ebay.com/Eclipse-8053-Bra...QQcmdZViewItem
$325
---------------------------------
4 chan amp :
tdb475
http://www.butleraudio.com/tdb475.php
$900
6.5" components:
eDi 6500s
http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/pro...products_id=50
$250 (can be found less when they are on sale through the forum discount)
10" sub:
ID10D2 V.3
http://www.imagedynamicsusa.com/prod...id=id&type=sub
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_id=4992
$130

sound deadener for the doors and an amp install kit will get you right under $2000

Last edited by scott_fx; 11-16-2006 at 01:58 AM.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:40 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IX Veteran

And that is one crazy high end radio and amp combo
Old 11-16-2006, 05:02 PM
scott_fx
Le Mans Master

wow...just found this on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Butler-Audio-Tub...QQcmdZViewItem

hmm.. i wonder how mad my girlfriend would get if i got her that for x-mas

you could use that setup for a nice bi-amped speaker system (no passive x-overs) and then find another solid state amp for the sub too.

Last edited by scott_fx; 11-16-2006 at 07:51 PM.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:47 PM
easyasone2three
Instructor

Hope that you guys had a good Thanksgiving. I have been doing more research and I have to take your advice scott_fx and Pentavolvo - the Bose head unit has to go and I would like a subwoffer in back.

Your suggestions above Scott_fx look good to me. If I begin collecting this stuff what else will I need?

Here are my questions:

What's the best installation kit to get for the HU that you suggest above Scott_fx? (Metta/MapTech/Vrum Vrum/other?) and is that all I will need to have the unit sit right in the dash?

How about wiring? I see some people are buying a GM harness. The stereo shop I went to said I needed something - 12CAs? - to make the whole thing work. Any idea what this is so I can look it up? Length and guages of speaker wire? Stuff for ground to the battery? Anything else?

What do you suggest for the sub box installation? I haven't had time to do much research on this yet. Can it just go in the middle rear panel? I'll search this tomorrow.

Scott_fx, if I begin collecting this stuff and the components you suggest above and get it all together would you be willing to give me a hand one day after the first of the year? If you can't I surely understand. By then I will have a better understanding of how it all goes together.

Thanks for all your help guys!

John
Old 12-01-2006, 08:59 PM
easyasone2three
Instructor

Sorry - one more thing.

I think that I will have to make templates to fit the speakers in the doors - what materials should I look at?
Old 12-01-2006, 09:55 PM
scott_fx
Le Mans Master

What's the best installation kit to get for the HU that you suggest above Scott_fx? (Metta/MapTech/Vrum Vrum/other?) and is that all I will need to have the unit sit right in the dash?
vrum vrum's is really nice but the one that lights up is really cool. you can find it here:
http://www.corvettecaraudio.com/
How about wiring? I see some people are buying a GM harness. The stereo shop I went to said I needed something - 12CAs? - to make the whole thing work. Any idea what this is so I can look it up? Length and guages of speaker wire? Stuff for ground to the battery? Anything else?
you can just use a standard gm wiring harness if you're not tapping into the bose system.

What do you suggest for the sub box installation? I haven't had time to do much research on this yet. Can it just go in the middle rear panel? I'll search this tomorrow.
subthump or http://www.corvettecaraudio.com/ have drop in boxes for the center storage compartment that work well. if you have tan interior i have a box with a 12" image dynamics sub that i could sell ya
Scott_fx, if I begin collecting this stuff and the components you suggest above and get it all together would you be willing to give me a hand one day after the first of the year? If you can't I surely understand. By then I will have a better understanding of how it all goes together.
sure. the weekend after the first i'm going to go snowboarding but i should be free after that (unless i get called into work)
Old 12-01-2006, 09:56 PM
scott_fx
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by easyasone2three
Sorry - one more thing.

I think that I will have to make templates to fit the speakers in the doors - what materials should I look at?
1/4" mdf works well
Old 12-01-2006, 09:57 PM
scott_fx
Le Mans Master

if you are going with the butler tube amps, there is a two chan on ebay. you could get two of those for a killer system.
Old 12-02-2006, 02:19 AM
easyasone2three
Instructor

OK, crap, I'm ALL-IN on this I guess. I and my 10 year old son who loves the Corvette as much as I do have been looking over the available options for the HU and he wants a DVD/GPS of course. I am trying to resist the big screen and I think I can make that stick as we are really not in the car long enough usually to watch a movie enough to justify, and besides I know my way around now.

Thing I want is the Blue-Tooth phone capability, wireless. Arnold's law is coming re no hands cell communication while driving - probably a good idea that is working in NY as I have witnessed.

I also really want to be able to use IPod or some type of downloadable MP3 system as I have lots of music I have collected over time stored on my computer. I don't yet have an IPod as I have been burning CD's and putting them in my 12 CD changer. I know that this is dinosaur. Suggestions to keep me current and able to add to my music collection? What is the cool stuff for the Head Unit?
Old 12-02-2006, 11:44 AM
knewblewkorvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,679 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-
'23-'24

Originally Posted by easyasone2three
John
Check out KnuKonceptz.com They have great wire at a good price. I have purchase many items from them and I'm pleased with everything except the heavy twisted speaker wire. It's good wire, just a bitch to strip

Best wishes on your set-up
Old 12-04-2006, 01:24 AM
scott_fx
Le Mans Master

a few good butler tube drivers on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/BK-Butler-Tube-D...QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/Butler-Audio-215...QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/BK-Butler-Tube-D...QQcmdZViewItem

you could get two 2150's or one 2150 for the sub and one 275 for the front speakers

Get notified of new replies

To Speakers and Amp?

Old 12-05-2006, 12:04 AM
easyasone2three
Instructor

OK, so far - I've ordered the eDi 6500s System, 100 Sq. Ft. eDead v1SE2 sound deadening and a pair of 1/4 mdf front speaker plates. Still researching. Thanks Scott_fx, Pentavolvo and Knewblekorvette

Next questions for you guys:

HeadUnit - Scott_fx I now see that the used Clarion DRZ 9255 on eBay was a killer deal but I'm a day late. If you run across another such deal please let me know and I'll nail it down. I'll keep looking myself but I know that you are more savy at this than I am. I think that I would like to have IPod and blue-tooth wireless phone capability. Is there something new I could get?

Amplifier/Amplifiers - Scott_fx is there any good way that I could get into something good for less on the amp/amps? $800-$1,000 is about 1/2 my starting budget. Seems like the amp is a pretty important component to you - if I really need to go the extra let me know and I will.

SubBox - Thanks Scott_fx for the nice offer but I have black carpet. I'd like to order the subbox next. I'm kind of old but I still like to rock sometimes - should I go for 10" or 12" sub and should I get the flush or recessed subbox?

Three questions is enough for now.

Don't worry Scott_fx I won't haunt you soon for help. It'll take me awhile to collect all of this stuff.

Thanks! John
Old 12-05-2006, 12:07 AM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IX Veteran

theres tons of nice amps out there for less then that it depends how crazy high end you want to go. What sub are you going with
Old 12-05-2006, 12:36 AM
easyasone2three
Instructor

I want to put together a good system. Do you think that the Image Dynamics ID10D2 V3 - 10 inch would be a fit or is there something else I should look at?

Greg I see that you recommended a 12" flush-mount to someone else in another thread - why is that? and should that be what I should look at? Other brands?

Can you recommend some other choices that I might research into for the amplifier. Will a good HU run the subwoofer?

I'll close in on all this - bear with me.
Thanks

John

Quick Reply: Speakers and Amp?