Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

This is what I was offered as a Laser detector/jammer

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 09:25 PM
Jessyjack10
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This is what I was offered as a Laser detector/jammer

I live in Montreal Canada and they mostly use laser guns here to catch u speeding. But from what I hear the cops also have a RDD which can detect and let them know that I have a jammer/detector in my car due to some kind of leakage. This is where someone suggest to install me a Belltronics sti driver. This is not the one u put on your dash but a new one that will be coming out in a month or so which u install somewhere in your car. This is what he explained. This laser detector will let me know if i'm being " lasered " with the sound of a ring and will jamm thier results or in other words, my speed.

This is where it gets interesting,if my laser jammer remains on , he says it will tick them off that something is wrong and that I might have a jammer on board, therefor they might pull me over and give me a hard time.

So what he suggested is that he could install something which makes it so that once the warnig ring goes off my brake lights will not light even if i apply the brake. This is in affect for a " preselected time ",( for example 4, 6, 10, etc seconds) which will allow me to brake with out them noticing that I'm greatly reducing my speed. He could also make it so that the jammer shuts off automatically after a preselected time ( example 4-12 seconds ) so that they do get a reading but much lower and closer to the speed limit.

what do u think?

Jack

p.s. I know that if my brake lights don't work for a period of 5 seconds or so it might be dangerous for someone following me, but I am always looking in my rv mirror and concious of my surrondings

p.s.s. Please don't bother writing how going the speed limit is the best prevention. Up here it seems all they are good for is giving tickets
Old 04-10-2007, 10:06 PM
steve burns
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im formerly from Toronto...so I know how tough it is to avoid radar and laser. Sounds like a good idea and I will watch for the system since I would be interested as well. The 2 current jammers on the market down here also shut off the jammer immediately after they jam the laser so the police dont know that you have a jammer. Let us know how it works. I understand the systems do work well.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:12 PM
Jessyjack10
Instructor

Originally Posted by steve burns
Im formerly from Toronto...so I know how tough it is to avoid radar and laser. Sounds like a good idea and I will watch for the system since I would be interested as well. The 2 current jammers on the market down here also shut off the jammer immediately after they jam the laser so the police dont know that you have a jammer. Let us know how it works. I understand the systems do work well.
But if they shut off right after they jam thier detector, it won't give u enough time to slow down
Old 04-11-2007, 07:12 AM
convt99
Racer

They usually tag the front of your car so why the brake light deal?
Old 04-11-2007, 08:37 AM
DarthStimpy
Melting Slicks

Every cop i know can eye ball people breaking without issue, regardless of being able to see their tail lights.

Best bet is just get a GOOD active jammer thats well concealed.

Them pulling you over and giving you a hard time is better than giving you a $200 ticket.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:41 AM
vettetech2
Burning Brakes

Got a better idea just dont speed! then you dont have to worry about it. I rather get a 200 ticket then go to jail, for jamming their laser
Old 04-11-2007, 09:05 AM
Jessyjack10
Instructor

Originally Posted by convt99
So they don't see me braking as soon as they tag me with the laser, that would tick them off that I have something in my car. IN this case i would have 5 sec or so before my brake lights go back on after initially braking and if they see my brake lights on after 5 seconds they tagged me they won't think I have a laser detector since evveryone hits the brakes immideatly once the alarm goes off
Old 04-11-2007, 09:09 AM
Jessyjack10
Instructor

Originally Posted by DarthStimpy
Every cop i know can eye ball people breaking without issue, regardless of being able to see their tail lights.

Best bet is just get a GOOD active jammer thats well concealed.

Them pulling you over and giving you a hard time is better than giving you a $200 ticket.
From a distance it is not easy for them to see u braking if done right.

I heard that if they really suspect u of having a jammer they can send u for an inspection where they probe your car all over.

Do any of u think that jamming thier laser the whole time while driving by them is something u can get away with ?

p.s. tickets here can easily reach 300 - 500 $
Old 04-11-2007, 11:47 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Putting a delay on your brake lights is a stupid idea....its dangerous for you and others. Most people, especially a trained and experienced LEO, can tell if a car is rapidly decelerating without the necessity of seeing your brake lights. Besides, there's no law against braking.

Although a few states actually prohibit radar detectors, I can't see the harm in merely detecting radar or laser signals being beamed through public airspace. Jamming or interferring with a LEO's equipment is a vastly different situation and IMO should be illegal.

I have a vastly simpler and more cost-effective solution....don't speed on a public highway.

I'm not a Saint but I tend to drive my Corvette conservatively. I generally drive faster in my Suburban in-town. If I'm in traffic and we're all going over the posted limit, I know the red Corvette will be the one that gets the ticket.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:07 PM
Jessyjack10
Instructor

Originally Posted by Wayne O
Putting a delay on your brake lights is a stupid idea....its dangerous for you and others. Most people, especially a trained and experienced LEO, can tell if a car is rapidly decelerating without the necessity of seeing your brake lights. Besides, there's no law against braking.

Although a few states actually prohibit radar detectors, I can't see the harm in merely detecting radar or laser signals being beamed through public airspace. Jamming or interferring with a LEO's equipment is a vastly different situation and IMO should be illegal.

I have a vastly simpler and more cost-effective solution....don't speed on a public highway.

I'm not a Saint but I tend to drive my Corvette conservatively. I generally drive faster in my Suburban in-town. If I'm in traffic and we're all going over the posted limit, I know the red Corvette will be the one that gets the ticket.
I don't believe in driving dangerously but up here they're out to get every where u go.

Also like i mentioned , here we mostly have laser so ( if I'm not mistaken ) laser detector will go off almost only when u are being tag , which is too late. That is why a jammer will make a difference.

So maybe then I'm better off forgetting about the brake lights and have a switch on the side i can turn off the jammer after i slow down to speed limit so they can get a reading and not suspect too much
Old 04-11-2007, 12:12 PM
bonesbr549
Instructor

Some detectors do leak badly. I have even picked up other detectors with my Valentine. Usually a single beep on my X band. I use the Valentine one, that is pretty well shielded. They maintian you would have to be really close to detect. I lived in VA where they have RDD'
s and when I picked up a signal, I would simply kill the power till I passed the imediate threat, and not worry till I saw him. That worked for me. Good luck.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:15 PM
water boy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by convt99
You still haven't addressed this. I'm curious also.

wb
Old 04-11-2007, 12:51 PM
Z06 Mike
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Shameless plug

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1671063
Old 04-11-2007, 01:13 PM
Jessyjack10
Instructor

Originally Posted by bonesbr549
Some detectors do leak badly. I have even picked up other detectors with my Valentine. Usually a single beep on my X band. I use the Valentine one, that is pretty well shielded. They maintian you would have to be really close to detect. I lived in VA where they have RDD'
s and when I picked up a signal, I would simply kill the power till I passed the imediate threat, and not worry till I saw him. That worked for me. Good luck.
I heard that the bell sti driver has NO leak !
Old 04-11-2007, 03:16 PM
los7883
Melting Slicks

Dont know about where you're from but i believe that RADAR jammers are illegal but Laser jammers aren't...someone correct me if I'm wrong...if they're not illegal, then get it, they can't give you a ticket for having one then, they may give you a hard time like someone said, but it beats the hell out of a ticket.

Laser Jammers and Radar Jammers are illegal in the states of Nebraska, Minnesota, Utah, California, Oklahoma, Virginia, Colorado, Illinois and Washington DC.

In states where laser jammers are illegal, it would be advisable to power the units down after they active and you have slowed down, to avoid suspicions from law enforcement.
Old 04-13-2007, 06:30 PM
Jessyjack10
Instructor

Anyone else has a thought on this ?
Old 04-13-2007, 09:14 PM
PBnf
Racer

A long time ago I heard that to jam Radar you have to broadcast a signal that essentially overwhelms the reflected signal they sent out. The catch is, at least when I read this, was you needed a license to broadcast such a signal. I guess if this is true and you can get such a license then they can't do anything to you. Lasers I don't know about, but being a beam of light, I guess you're free to shine your own beam of light. If it interferes with what they're trying to do, tough luck.

Get notified of new replies

To This is what I was offered as a Laser detector/jammer

Quick Reply: This is what I was offered as a Laser detector/jammer