Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

3Sixty.2 OH YEAH

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 02:59 PM
CraigE
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 3Sixty.2 OH YEAH

Well I just installed a RockfordFosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processor. It has raised the SQ at least a full notch. I was mainly looking to bandpass my 6.5 midbass, which was not possible with the previous configuration. With this unit I would get the xover capability I wanted plus a lot more. So although skeptical I said what the hell and installed it in the location under the passenger footwell after removing the Bose amp. This unit is awesome. You tune from a laptop or PDA via Bluetooth and can control EACH speaker (up to 4) plus sub and center.
Controls are: mute, hipass, lopass, bandpass, output level,31 band equalizer and time correction. This is at each speaker. For example if you think you are getting some type of noise, but aren't sure of where it's from, you can isolate a speaker by muting everything but the front left speaker to check to see if that's the source of the noise. Sub volume is controlled by a rheostat mounted in the ashtray.
Now I am by no means a tuner. But first I ran the OEM integration procedure and saved that to my computer. Then adjusted the xovers, set the time correction,and did some balancing with a decibel meter.
All I can say is OH YEAH!!!
I hear instruments that were not there before. Everything sounds concise ( probably due to the time correction ). The front stage has really improved.
And all this from the convenience of sitting in the driver's seat with my laptop. Boy I can't wait to get this in the hands of a real tuner.
Anyone that thinks you can't get great sound quality from the stock nav/HU needs to come see me.
I'll post some pix of the install soon.

Last edited by CraigE; 04-19-2008 at 03:07 PM.
Old 04-19-2008, 03:05 PM
Spkrboy
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CraigE
Anyone that thinks you can't get great sound quality from the stock nav/HU needs to come see me.
I've been saying that for quite a while with measurements to back it up, Craig. Some people just aren't believers.
Old 04-19-2008, 03:33 PM
CraigE
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

I had faith in you. Not only do I have a great sounding system but have been able to retain all the features tied to the stock nav/HU, steering wheel controls, onstar, chimes. I especially like the nav HUD interface. That is the one thing that would not function with an aftermarket HU.
Old 04-19-2008, 03:51 PM
Team DCA
Racer

It's great that it takes the prefabbed signal in the car and truly flattens it (for the most part) so you have a true starting point to tune from. Used it in my last iteration of the vette. Plan on using it in more of my installs as they come along.
Old 04-19-2008, 04:22 PM
Spkrboy
Pro

Originally Posted by Team DCA
It's great that it takes the prefabbed signal in the car and truly flattens it (for the most part) so you have a true starting point to tune from. Used it in my last iteration of the vette. Plan on using it in more of my installs as they come along.
The factory HU is flat and undistorted to begin with. There is no 'truly' need to do more to it. Only the needs for more functionality and environment compensation, which even the best aftermarket models will require. See these threads.
Old 04-19-2008, 04:47 PM
Team DCA
Racer

Maybe so on the corvette. But not all makes and models. Some have a factory tune to them that needs to be erased. Auto manufacturers think the general public likes more bass than usual and tend to boost 45hZ and call it flat. and it is usually done within the electronics of the factory head, the 3Sixty reads this shows it to you on the palm the factory response and then the flattened. I worked on the development team at Rockford for these units before they went into production. They are very slick units for what they are.

Not disputing that some may be flat. But this unit was deemed to be used in all makes and models of cars and systems like Pontiac Monsoon, Ford Mach systems. They are just pretuned so they have the same standardized sound characteristics from the factory on each vehicle.

Last edited by Team DCA; 04-19-2008 at 04:56 PM.
Old 04-19-2008, 05:07 PM
Spkrboy
Pro

The tuning is in the outboard amplifiers, not the actual HU, no matter where this HUI is installed. And to be clear, we're talking about Corvettes here, not Pontiacs, etc.
Old 04-19-2008, 05:33 PM
Team DCA
Racer

Originally Posted by Spkrboy
The tuning is in the outboard amplifiers, not the actual HU, no matter where this HUI is installed. And to be clear, we're talking about Corvettes here, not Pontiacs, etc.
Just stating the reason why the unit flatlines the response during setup whether it needs it or not. The unit doesn't discriminate.
Old 04-19-2008, 05:53 PM
Spkrboy
Pro

Originally Posted by Team DCA
Just stating the reason why the unit flatlines the response during setup whether it needs it or not. The unit doesn't discriminate.
The 3Sixty works in a similar fashion as the CleanSweep from JL. That unit had some undesirable effects on an otherwise flat response system as one could see from the threads I linked.

Sorry for Hijacking, Craig.
Old 04-19-2008, 07:47 PM
CraigE
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

With the Cleansweep your stuck with what it does. No further adjustment. On the other hand the 3Sixty.2 seems like a great tool to adjust for vehicle acoustics and to tailor the sound to your personal preferences and the type of music that you listen to. If I were a tuner, and this unit was in a vehicle I was about to tune, it would seem to make the job a lot easier to get an excellent tune.

Last edited by CraigE; 04-19-2008 at 08:51 PM.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:26 PM
Spkrboy
Pro

Originally Posted by CraigE
With the Cleansweep your stuck with what it does. No further adjustment. On the other hand the 3Sixty.2 seems like a great tool to adjust for vehicle acoustics and to tailor the sound to your personal preferences and the type of music that you listen to. If I were a tuner, and this unit was in a vehicle I was about to tune, it would seem to make the job a lot easier to get an excellent tune.
Absolutely. It adds functionality the JL does not offer. But the portion of the 3Sixty that re-EQs the factory HU is unnecessary. The rest of its functionality is outstanding... now if it only offered a digital input...
Old 04-21-2008, 11:09 PM
CraigE
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

No comment from Kale ???
I 'd sure like to hear what you say.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:15 PM
Team DCA
Racer

Originally Posted by Spkrboy
now if it only offered a digital input...
Agreed!!

Get notified of new replies

To 3Sixty.2 OH YEAH

Quick Reply: 3Sixty.2 OH YEAH