Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

SQ C4 couple construction pics

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 12:19 AM
Team DCA
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SQ C4 couple construction pics

Some of you may remember that I am taking my 89 coupe into the competition arena this year. So the tear down of the old system (3rd place Expert class) begun and reconstruction began. A couple of you may have seen this car already (you know who you are) and it is getting closer to a ready stage. So here are a couple pics to get an idea of the direction of where we went.

The dash area totally gutted and ready for reconstruction.

After a lot of research and R&D, we came up with a design we think will be optimal for a C4 layout. Needless to say, it is on the extreme side, but we had to create an environment more suitable for reproducing accurate sound. The gauge cluster was relocated along with the engine computer. Needless to say the lengthening of many wires was required to get this accomplished. The dash still retains the AC vents for those hot days at the shows and on cruises. (Yes it will still be driven on weekends.) So here is the somewhat completed dash with the working gauges. Enjoy.

Old 05-03-2008, 12:55 PM
TGlovka
Instructor

Wild!!!
Old 05-04-2008, 12:32 AM
Coupe89
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Old 05-04-2008, 01:39 AM
Jonnymac
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Nice work
Old 05-04-2008, 03:04 AM
RandyJ75
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Originally Posted by Jonnymac
Nice work

I understand what you are trying to do, but why not set up a stock '89 and '90+ w/ a great sound system, and tell us the best place to put the woofers, mids. and tweeters? Sure everyone will be real impressed w/ how you cut up your car, but is that the point? If you are in the business of selling audio equipment to people that own Corvettes, wouldn't it be a good idea if you could tell them what works and what does not?

I guess I should be happy you are working on a C4, but what you are doing has nothing to do w/ C4's, or Corvettes in general.

Randy
Old 05-04-2008, 07:55 PM
Team DCA
Racer

Originally Posted by RandyJ75

I understand what you are trying to do, but why not set up a stock '89 and '90+ w/ a great sound system, and tell us the best place to put the woofers, mids. and tweeters? Sure everyone will be real impressed w/ how you cut up your car, but is that the point? If you are in the business of selling audio equipment to people that own Corvettes, wouldn't it be a good idea if you could tell them what works and what does not?

I guess I should be happy you are working on a C4, but what you are doing has nothing to do w/ C4's, or Corvettes in general.

Randy
Because honestly, there are not good locations in the C4 generation corvette. There stereo was an afterthought for the corvette, as it is with many cars in general. This car is setup for sound quality competition. There is absolutely no way this car could be competitive in it's normal state. I don't deal with corvettes exclusively, it just happens to be the vehicle I chose to work with. This car is built to demonstrate equipment in an optimal listening environment. It's not meant to be practical. It is meant to go into competition and win, first and foremost.

And yes, I chose the C4 because it has no real collector value (or at least this particular one doesn't) so it wasn't a big deal to modify it for it's purpose.

Oh and the cut up the car part. The car is built over the factory specifications for fit and finish. When it came in there were more rattles and loose panels than you could count. Now there is not a one.

But anyway, everyone is entitled to their opinion, good, bad or indifferent.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:15 PM
minitech
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Cool. Be sure to post more pics as you go!
Old 05-13-2008, 01:33 PM
Team DCA
Racer

couple more of the progress, this is of the rear hatch area where the amps, processors ad subs will go.

It's getting there.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:36 PM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Very Nicely Done!

I like the Unique style of the dash and the clean factory installed look of the rear amp/speaker enclosure. Thanks for choosing the C4 Vette as your platform!

I can't wait to see the finished system!

Last edited by GKK; 05-13-2008 at 02:39 PM.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:27 PM
DPG
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

looks cool. keep posting those pics as you move along

Get notified of new replies

To SQ C4 couple construction pics

Quick Reply: SQ C4 couple construction pics