Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

F-700BT Review and wiring tips

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 11:44 PM
HurtSoGood
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F-700BT Review and wiring tips

This is for a 2008 coupe, no Bose, and has On-Star. So I recently recieved my 700BT from al-eds.com for a great deal, ($746 with ipod cable shipped). Installing it became somewhat of a daunting task when I had trouble removing the front console.
Problem: Forgot the two T15 screws in the center console.

Solution: Removed the screws.

So once I removed the front console, center console (Don't forget to disconnect all wire connectors!), trim on the right, and shift **** I preoceeded to remove the radio which was straight forward. Remember to remove the AC control unit first. Now comes the fun part, wiring in the new harness and head unit. For this project I used the following parts:

AVIC F-700BT (Duh)
CDIU230V (I-Pod Cable)
Metra 95-3304 (Dash Kit)
GMOS-04 (Wiring Harness)
12040GM10 (GM Antenna Adapter)

First I disconnected the negative side of the battery then just left a cloth over top of the terminal in case of accidental contact. Then removed the stock radio. Next step was straight forward, connect the GMOS-04 harness to the stock harness and the GMOS-04 module. Next comes the hard part, splicing, crimping, and taping oh my. The directions given are quite good actually except in one step which I will tell later on. Ok, here are the required wiring connections:

GMOS-04 on the left
AVIC F-700BT on the right

Yellow---------------------------------------Yellow
Black----------------------------------------Black
Orange--------------------------------------Orange
Green/Purple---------------------------------Purple/White
Orange/White--------------------------------Orange/White
Red------------------------------------------Red
Blue/White-----------------------------------Blue/White
White RCA-----------------------------------White(Front Output RCA)
Gray RCA------------------------------------Red(Front Output RCA)
Green RCA-----------------------------------White(Rear Output RCA)
Purple RCA-----------------------------------Red(Rear Output RCA)

For these connections I used a male and female connector for each side (GMOS-04 and AVIC) incase I decided to switch out my head unit, which I don't plan to do any time soon, and if the unit needed servicing which would require no cutting, just a disconnect.

Once I completed this I wired up the GPS system and I-Pod connector. I ran the I-Pod connector to my glove box so it was out of sight. The GPS module I mounted just above the left AC vent. I had to trim the magnetic base so it would fit and I mounted the module there. It has great reception there and is out of sight which I was trying to accomplish in this project.

The antenna adapter was very straight forward just a plug and play device. The next to last connection I made was the MIC which I ran near the pedals and stock mic (has great reception in this location after much testing).

The next connection I made was the bypass for the mute and parking brake wire. What I did here was use a wire tap-in and splice both of the paking brake and mute wire to the ground side of the AVIC. Once this was done I used a male to female connector to the GMOS-04 side which completed the ground tricking both wires. (I do not condole this practice in any shape or form ) If you do this, you will be able to change your destination while the vehicle is in motion.

The final wiring connection that I needed was the blue/white(GMOS-04) to blue/white(AVIC). At first I did not complete this connection and it presented a multitude of problems; Example: sound turns off when doors are closed or when ever the chime is off. After browsing a few posts I found that joining these two wires resolved the problem; I have driven over 100 miles with no problem and about 99.9% accuracy where it was posistioned. Once I made this connection all of the problems dissappeared and I love this unit so far, aside from the long start-up time and poor visibility of the unit when the sun shines in.

Once I got everything working I mounted the new head unit it, which requires some finesse to move the harnesses, wires, and GMOS-04 module in place so the unit would fit. After I moved most of the wires out of the way, moving the harnesses and bundled up wires behind the AC control unit, I screwed in the unit and replaced all of the trim and took the vette for a final run and encountered no problems. I tested On-Star also and it worked just fine; I just told the person who answered I was testing somthing.

In all this is a great unit so far with awesome resolution and great voice regonition. I know boot time can be a problem but if you wait for your oil to get to operationg temperature your unit will be ready to go with great responsiveness to the I-Pod controls. I would rate this unit a 7/10 without the firmware update Pioneer is working on.

If any of you want to try this send me a PM and I will help you though the intallation.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:01 AM
aschiftner
Racer

Sweet write-up. I'm really interested in the voice controls for I-pod and bluetooth. THANKS!! R/ Al
Old 08-24-2008, 04:28 PM
c54u
Melting Slicks

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts

Excellent write up. I know that this install was for a 2008 model. I am thinking of putting in the f700bt in a 2007 non Bose non Onstar setup. I saw somewhere that a relay would also be required for the 2007 model. Can anyone confirm this?
Old 05-19-2009, 01:50 AM
grantar2
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

HurtSoGood, does your system take forever booting the voice recognition with your iPOD? Also have you found another way besides the **** to adjust the volume.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:56 PM
Scott E Van
1st Gear

Default Hud

Thanks for the great post. Does the HUD integration still work after you install this model? Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To F-700BT Review and wiring tips

Quick Reply: F-700BT Review and wiring tips