Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

IPOD / Kenwood 5120 compatiblity question

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 08:10 PM
stevepre65
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 18 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Default IPOD / Kenwood 5120 compatiblity question

Audio Gurus....A question if you would be so kind to entertain.

I just completed the installation of a Kenwood 5120 HU (Thank you, C5BearsFan!!!!). I connected my "Classic" (Gen 5?) IPOD ...one of the older ones (30GB capacity).

I've got the ipod connected. The 5120 recognizes it. I can play MP3s without a problem, BUT.....I have music videos stored on the ipod (both MPEG-3 and MPEG-4). The 5120 sees them, but only plays the music portion...not the video.

I click on the upper left corner "graphic", it switches to the video mode, but the screen indicates "no input detected". What am I missing? I don't see any setting on the 5120 to change and I video output on the IPOD is enabled.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

STeve
Old 04-17-2009, 11:04 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

what cable are u using

also maybe u have to have the tv output turned on on the ipod
Old 04-18-2009, 06:03 AM
stevepre65
Racer

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
what cable are u using

also maybe u have to have the tv output turned on on the ipod
Cable is: KCA-IP300V IPOD ADAPTER INTERFACE FOR USB DVD

"TV OUT" is set to "ON"

-thanks
Old 04-18-2009, 12:41 PM
hattitude
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If Greg (pentavolvo) doesn't know the fix... he usually does......

You can try contacting Kenwood technical support via the internet.

I had a 5120 Bluetooth to phone compatibility issue and contacted them. Each question was answered within 48hrs and they walked me through the 5120 software update (to version 2.4.0), the Bluetooth BT-200 software update (to version 1.7.0) and were very helpful to fix my phone specific problem.

Good luck...
Old 04-22-2009, 08:52 AM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

I had the same problem with my 5120. What you need to do is when the ipod is playing go to the bottom line on the screen and page through the settings until you see "video" hit that then another menu will pop up with yur playlists and one line will say "Music Videos" select that then the video you want and when the song starts playing touch the screen where the image is (upper left) and you'll get the video. Don't ask me why Kenwood designed it this way. They make an awesome HU with the DNX series that is so counter-intuitive it is unreal. If your just picking a song and then touching the screen in the left corner you'll get "No Video" on the display. At least this solved my issue with my ipod playing videos.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:05 AM
stevepre65
Racer

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by Mike02Z
I had the same problem with my 5120. What you need to do is when the ipod is playing go to the bottom line on the screen and page through the settings until you see "video" hit that then another menu will pop up with yur playlists and one line will say "Music Videos" select that then the video you want and when the song starts playing touch the screen where the image is (upper left) and you'll get the video. Don't ask me why Kenwood designed it this way. They make an awesome HU with the DNX series that is so counter-intuitive it is unreal. If your just picking a song and then touching the screen in the left corner you'll get "No Video" on the display. At least this solved my issue with my ipod playing videos.

Thanks Mike!!

I found this same solution on ........YOUTUBE???? Someone did a review of the 5120 capabilities and they pointed out the vided selection as you did. I'm going to give it a try today.

Thanks again!

-Setve
Old 04-22-2009, 09:57 AM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

I found it by trial and error. I now have 2 of these HU's a 5120 in my Mustang and a 6140 in my vette. Great HU's but as I said almost everything is counter-intuitive. Just getting the subs to work was a major PITA. Let us know if that worked for you.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:40 PM
stevepre65
Racer

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Thank Mike,
That's what it was. Not very intuitive at all. Have found a way to create a video playlist, by chance? I get the videos, but I can only play them by artist.

Thanks for the help.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:50 PM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Great, glad that solved the problem.

No, I have not tried to make a video playlist yet. I'd like to find out how to bring the background up with nothing else on the screen. I have a real nice C6 flags that I'm using for the background.

Get notified of new replies

To IPOD / Kenwood 5120 compatiblity question

Quick Reply: IPOD / Kenwood 5120 compatiblity question