Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

2 10's or one 12 subwoofer?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 01:23 AM
NVTHIS
Le Mans Master

Location: Piedmont, SC Currently Own: 99 Nassau blue FRC. Previously Owned: 84,95,98 Indy Pace,01 Z06
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Spying Beast
Honestly, I don't think you could get a stealth type box with enough volume to drive a 12 in a vette. Your only option would be building an ugly monstrosity that takes up most of the rear space. Then where are you going to put your golf clubs?

I'd go with the maximum air space available with your box selection, and match a 10" SQ Woofer with your cubes.

If you want a bland of SQ, and SPL, the RF L7 woofers pack a mean punch. My favorite SQ woofer is the Kapa Perfect 12, but a ten would do fine. Image Dynamics do well too.

If you need BIG bass, I'd do the 2 10's, the bass is tighter, which equates to better sound, plus you have more wiring options....

Sealed boxes for the win....

Good luck!

Edit* After looking at the box at DD mods, I would go with a single 10. If you want serious punch, ask them to cut a square hole in it to fit the Fosgate L710. That box isn't big enough to support two tens. Just glancing at it, it cant be more than 1/2 a cube before woofer displacement.... That's not very big. Most woofers come alive at about 1.5 cubes. Anything below that, and your not getting "the most" out of it...

Box can have anywhere from 0.85 cu ft - 0.95 cu ft depending on box and size of MDF used.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:57 PM
Spying Beast
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NVTHIS
Box can have anywhere from 0.85 cu ft - 0.95 cu ft depending on box and size of MDF used.
That's not too bad, but I'd still say a single 10 vs. a 12. That's not very much Vas, infact, barely enough to get a SQ 10 to hit low.

If it were me, I'd go with the L710. It will hit hard, and still sound decent enough to pass for a SQ woofer in your Vette. That is, if the magnet will clear.

Quick Reply: 2 10's or one 12 subwoofer?