Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Time to replace the Blose

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2002, 01:31 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Default Time to replace the Blose

OK, the Bose is starting to cut out and the tape has stopped working.

THe way I see it is I can replace it with a newer used Blose from a mid-90's if I get lucky it would have a CD.

OR

Rip it all out and put something else in. I just need tunes, CDR and MP3 would be nice. I know the Bose has amps at the speakers so I would need an amp of some kind, some better quality 6x9 for the rear, something for the doors, and maybe the dash?

Any Ideas?
I was looking at the Aiwa head unit CDC-MP32 ~ $200 or the Rockford Fosgate RFX9300 ~$300

Any ideas for where to stuff the amp?
Old 02-12-2002, 10:34 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Default Re: Time to replace the Blose (jaa1988)

ttt - for the tuesday folks
Old 02-12-2002, 12:17 PM
92TripleBlack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How much do you want to spend for the whole system, are you doing it yourself, and do you have any experience?
Old 02-12-2002, 02:56 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Default Re: Time to replace the Blose (92TripleBlack)

How much do you want to spend for the whole system, are you doing it yourself, and do you have any experience?
Around $500 - 600. Like I said I'm not looking for a system that will blast me out of the car. I'm just looking for something that has a little more omph than the factory system. Something that I can hear at 100+mph, plays MP3 CDR.
I'm not looking to out thump the heavy base guys, I just need normal base.

I have done a few installations mostly in larger all metal cars where its easy to find a ground. I figure with the Corvette I'm looking at finding a couple of good grounds and having to run ground wires everywhere.
Old 02-12-2002, 03:10 PM
NassBlue
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the middle of a "BLOWS" upgrade now :D

Old 02-12-2002, 03:47 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Default Re: Time to replace the Blose (NassBlue)

What are you installing?

Brand/Model Head unit?
Speakers - Rear, Door, dash?
Amp or No Amp?

Inquiring minds want to know :D
Old 02-12-2002, 04:34 PM
NassBlue
Melting Slicks

Head Unit - Sony
Monitor - Fahrenheit
Components - Diamond Audio (6"-4"&1'tweet in doors) (6" in rear)
Subs - 2/10" JL or Diamond (not sure yet)
Amps - Phoenix Gold (ZXI400 & ZXI600)
Processor - Phoenix Gold EQ232

And a couple other secret goodies :D

[Modified by NassBlue, 3:35 PM 2/12/2002]
Old 02-12-2002, 10:02 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Way more than I need or want, but :cool:
Old 02-13-2002, 09:18 PM
PurpleC4
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Currently Corvette-less

I am in the process of installing a JVC double din unit in my 92 Coupe. I will let you know the results shortly. Hope to have it done by the weekend. I am using the Crutchfield integration harness so I can retain and use the Bose speakers.
:seeya Purp
Old 02-26-2002, 02:37 AM
flip68
Advanced

I've also wanted to have the ability to mount a double DIN unit or a monitor into my dash. I see you have relocated the AC controls (got rid of the ashtray) and fabricated a new dash panel.

Do you have any info (price, availability, etc) on getting that same dash panel?

Thanks! :cheers:
Old 02-26-2002, 05:35 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

The project starts Sunday. I wound up with a really good head unit RockFord Fosgate RFX9400 $267.50
Some 4 way 6x9 speakers for the rear $74 (soundstorm brand)
Some 3 way 5 1/4 speakers for the doors $33 (pyramid brand)
Wiring harness and trim plate $30

Total so far is about $340
Head unit, rear speakers and temporary fronts go in on Sunday. I'll start a new post next week with pictures and my impressions.
Old 02-27-2002, 12:48 AM
92TripleBlack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

EEk on the speakers. Deck is ok though. I would get some real speakers. Those ones you have are cheap knockoffs you can get at any flea market for $20 a pair. Here's a site I found with the speakers I like alot at reasonable prices: http://www.tmselectronics.com/rec_search.asp
Look at the Boston Acoustics RX series. The front is $120 and ther rear a little more but they will be night and day vs the ones you have and you won't end up wasting your cash and having to do it over again. They are also designed to be able to run well with or without an external amp. The amp will give you more volume but it will work fine without it. Your choice. The Soundstorm trys to get people really looking for Soundstream stuff. I saw a pyramid eq that advertised 2000w of power. It was the size of a video tape. It got its power rating by plugging it into a wall socket and measuring the pulse it gave off when it exploded and then used this as the power quote. As a financial professional, we call this not giving full disclosure. ;)
You could easily do better with a pair of sony speakers or other poor brands of speakers from known makers for the same money. Lastly, stay away from more than two way on 6 1/2" speakers and 3 way on 6x9s. They are gimmics. They add nothing to the highs which is what the extra "ways" produce but they do block the bass from the woofer behind them from getting out. Hope this helps.
Old 02-27-2002, 05:03 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Default Re: Time to replace the Blose (92TripleBlack)

EEk on the speakers. Deck is ok though. I would get some real speakers. Those ones you have are cheap knockoffs you can get at any flea market for $20 a pair
Yea I know the speakers are cheap junk. The good thing is if I don't like them for the corvette I can move them into one of the other cars and put something else in.

Remember all I wanted was good sounding tunes, not an audiophile system. If these don't do it, all I'll have to do is unhook these speakers and hook in different ones. I spent my $$$ on the head unit so I wouldn't have to replace it for a looonngg time.

And thanks for the comments, keep them comming because I'm sure I'll grow tired of these eventually.
Old 03-04-2002, 03:02 PM
mt_789
Instructor

I am not sure if you made a decision yet, but I just replaced the bose in my 88. The tape deck sounded bad, the radio crackled and popped, and I had no CD player... I went with an Alpine deck, and Boston FX 6x9 in back, and the Boston FX 4" in the doors. I was considering doing it myself, but I am glad I had a pro do it. Pulling all the Bose wire and yanking the stock speakers did not seem too tough, but getting the new wires in, and making the single DIN face look good in the factory slot seemed beyond my abilities. I just had it done yesterday, and it sounds 400% better. I had them put back on the factory bose grills to keep it stealth. For me, the 45 watts on the deck is enough, I thought about an external amp, and maybe even a sub, but there is nowhere to hide them, and this sounds great anyway. Good luck on your setup!
Old 03-04-2002, 03:39 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Default Re: Time to replace the Blose (mt_789)

Well it rained Saturday after the DYno day, and most of the morning Sunday so I didn't get to get started this weekend. Hopefully the weather will be good this comming weekend.

I'm not going to remove the existing wiring, just going to run new to the same locations. Got some tips Saturday from one of the guys that has had his door panels off several times so I think I'm set there.

I'll take plenty of pictures so if anyone wants to do it themselves it should be easier.

I thought about having a shop do it, but with the horror stories I hear it would be tough for me to find a shop I'd trust to do the install. If I do it myself, I know it will be done right, and if I want to change the speakers from my initial install it will be much easier if I do it the first time.
Old 03-05-2002, 09:26 PM
Too Slow '90
Melting Slicks

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

I'm having the same problems so I'm very interested how this works on a low budget. Let me know how it works out, I might even have to have a listen. :yesnod:
Old 03-10-2002, 01:06 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Default Re: Time to replace the Blose (Too Slow '90)

Its gone!!! I got the RFX9400 hooked up to the rear 6x9's temporarialy. Fronts are on order and will be installed when the arrive.
Bose Speakers and amps are gone in the rear.

Sounds 100 times better than the Bose!
I can drive the headunit to full square wave and the speakers are OK, keep it below that level and for me they are great!

Too SLow - check the Southeast events out for the next NOVA dinner meeting at the Silver Diner. I'll be there with the car.

In addition to the head unit and speakes I spent about $15 on connectors, good speaker wire, etc.
Old 03-10-2002, 07:19 PM
Too Slow '90
Melting Slicks

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

:cool:

Get notified of new replies

To Time to replace the Blose

Quick Reply: Time to replace the Blose