Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Was it worth it??

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 12:46 PM
Stage7
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Was it worth it??

Was all of the money/effort to install a top flight audio system in your Corvette worth it? I'm asking because seeing as how obnoxiously loud many of our cars can be (heads, cam, headers, etc), how do you all feel now that the money is spent, work done, and you are driving around in a loud/barely sound deadened Corvette?

I'm not asking in a negative way. I'm asking because I've bought the components to install in my C6, and I'm having second thoughts on the money I spent on higher end equipment. As well as the weight I'll be adding using dampening material (in addition to all of this equipment). I wonder if I should save the equipment for use in a quieter car, and just do a more basic/lighter functional upgrade with mid hi components in the C6.

I'm curious if any of you have simplified your systems after going really far with the install.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:23 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

Default Short answer - YES

On my old C5 I didn't know what the heck I wanted to do, I just knew I wanted a better sounding and louder system. I installed, removed, upgraded, replaced, experimented, replaced again..... It kept me busy.

On the C6 I kinda knew what I wanted to end up with, so I made sure I didn't take any wrong turns along the way. I started by changing out just the HU and front twiddlers, then eventually added an amp, speakers, and sub. I am very happy with the results, especially since my entire system was only about $1500 total. I can now drive down I-20 at 75mph with the top out and actually hear the radio
Old 01-21-2010, 08:35 PM
dgoldenz
Melting Slicks

Received 446 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Stage7
Was all of the money/effort to install a top flight audio system in your Corvette worth it? I'm asking because seeing as how obnoxiously loud many of our cars can be (heads, cam, headers, etc), how do you all feel now that the money is spent, work done, and you are driving around in a loud/barely sound deadened Corvette?

I'm not asking in a negative way. I'm asking because I've bought the components to install in my C6, and I'm having second thoughts on the money I spent on higher end equipment. As well as the weight I'll be adding using dampening material (in addition to all of this equipment). I wonder if I should save the equipment for use in a quieter car, and just do a more basic/lighter functional upgrade with mid hi components in the C6.

I'm curious if any of you have simplified your systems after going really far with the install.
What kind of equipment did you buy to be installed?
Old 01-22-2010, 12:26 AM
Stage7
Burning Brakes

I kind of feel like it's a waste on the C6 actually. I'm debating selling a lot of it before I ever install it.

Last edited by Stage7; 01-23-2010 at 12:48 AM.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:16 AM
dgoldenz
Melting Slicks

Received 446 Likes on 208 Posts

Very nice equipment you've got there....what Celestra and Sinfoni amps? I was really interested in the DNX9140 myself, but found some not-so-hot reviews talking about the glitches in the nav system not showing the street names and such. Kind of turns me off on it unless they've resolved it.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:35 AM
Stage7
Burning Brakes

Last edited by Stage7; 01-23-2010 at 12:51 AM.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:13 AM
ThissenW
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Not so sure

Actually, my setup has been pretty troublesome, and I'm not sure I'd do it again.

I installed a Kenwood DNX8120 with PAC interface modules for Bose, chimes, and steering wheel controls. This weekend marks the 4th time the dash has been disassembled to deal with PAC issues. I'm seriously considering replacing the system with a factory NAV and PAL. It's reaching the point where reliability is more important than functionality.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:51 AM
Kale
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Stage7
I'm debating going 3 way active, or quasi active (active midbass, and run the midrange/tweeter through the passive x-over).
I hate what the dyn passive crossover does to the tweeter. Well, to be honest, I hate the dyn passive crossover entirely.

Although at least then you could get the ~200-300 watts to the midbass and ~100 watts to tweeter and mid.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:28 AM
Stage7
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ThissenW
Actually, my setup has been pretty troublesome, and I'm not sure I'd do it again.

I installed a Kenwood DNX8120 with PAC interface modules for Bose, chimes, and steering wheel controls. This weekend marks the 4th time the dash has been disassembled to deal with PAC issues. I'm seriously considering replacing the system with a factory NAV and PAL. It's reaching the point where reliability is more important than functionality.
Where is the problem? The PAC?

Originally Posted by Kale
I hate what the dyn passive crossover does to the tweeter. Well, to be honest, I hate the dyn passive crossover entirely.

Although at least then you could get the ~200-300 watts to the midbass and ~100 watts to tweeter and mid.
How did you like the dyn md100 (if that's what you run) once you removed the dyn x-over? What are you using to run active? What's your system setup overall?
Old 01-22-2010, 02:06 PM
Kale
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the 345 system, which is a minor update to what you have.

I like the MD102 quite a lot since going active. I ended up with a 2 way setup, MW162 / MD102, then I switched out to MW172 MD012. The handoff is:

2.5khz 18db Mid
3.2khz 18db Tweeter

I gapped out a problem frequency in the car. Sounds pretty good.

I'm running 350w each to the mids and 90w each to the tweeters.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:31 PM
SilverSurferC6
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by markcz
On my old C5 I didn't know what the heck I wanted to do, I just knew I wanted a better sounding and louder system. I installed, removed, upgraded, replaced, experimented, replaced again..... It kept me busy.

On the C6 I kinda knew what I wanted to end up with, so I made sure I didn't take any wrong turns along the way. I started by changing out just the HU and front twiddlers, then eventually added an amp, speakers, and sub. I am very happy with the results, especially since my entire system was only about $1500 total. I can now drive down I-20 at 75mph with the top out and actually hear the radio
Well worth it but I kinda went overboard seeing as I intend to be buried in my C6

Excelon 9140
JL Stealthbox
JL HD 900/5 amp
JL C5 650's door
GM/BOSE stock rears

I can finally hear clarity!
Old 01-23-2010, 12:50 AM
Stage7
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SilverSurferC6
Well worth it but I kinda went overboard seeing as I intend to be buried in my C6

Excelon 9140
JL Stealthbox
JL HD 900/5 amp
JL C5 650's door
GM/BOSE stock rears

I can finally hear clarity!
lol...cool! Nice setup.

Get notified of new replies

To Was it worth it??

Quick Reply: Was it worth it??