Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

AM reception

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 08:07 AM
JerG
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AM reception

Had a dd Pioneer AVH4200 installed about 2 weeks ago. Really happy with it except for one thing, the AM reception. I'm a big sports fan and the only radio station I really listen to is on AM (WFAN).

I've driven the car literally 4 times since the install and half the time the reception is fine, and the other half is just static. Doesn't matter where I am geographically. FM reception is always good.

I know it's not the new radio as I never rec'd any AM reception on my old DELCO/BOSE. My car is a 99 coupe so I'm thinking maybe it's the
antenna module or a loose connection to it. I can pull off the door sill
but how do you pull off the seat belt housing to get to the module?

A new module is like $140, used about $55. At this point, I'm getting very tempted to try an aftermarket glass mount Metra antenna. I was looking at the picture for this, how does this hook up? Why do you need a 12v wire, to power up the amp in the antenna?
Old 05-22-2010, 09:24 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

Are you still using the door subs? If yes, then your antenna module is already powered with 12v, since only FM uses the 5v, AM reception is already as good as it gets.

It's been a while since I pulled apart a C5 interior, but the cover over the seat belt roller just pops out like most panels in these cars.

If you have intermittant issues with the same stations in the same areas, if it is a loose connection I'd guess it would be behind the radio at the adapter, not at the module.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:06 PM
crease-guard
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't waste your money on the after market stuff. I did and go no better reception than the factory module.

One possibility (worked with my setup) is see if your aftermark unit acts as a bluetooth headset/speakers. My setup does and I can stream radio stations via bluetooth to my stereo setup off my iPhone using the Wonder Radio app. Only works if you nav unit can act as a bluetooth speaker setup. Works better than radio as I get crystal clear reception (assuming there are no network issues and I have a signal) and I can get my radio station anywhere in the country. Better than Sat radio and doesn't cost me anything. Gotta wonder why we aren't all moving to streaming radio instead of Sat and terrestrial antenna.

I installed my HD Visteon AM/FM module for the same reason you did, to listen to sports radio.

Jay

Last edited by crease-guard; 05-22-2010 at 05:08 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:53 AM
JerG
Pro

Are you still using the door subs? If yes, then your antenna module is already powered with 12v, since only FM uses the 5v, AM reception is already as good as it gets.

It's been a while since I pulled apart a C5 interior, but the cover over the seat belt roller just pops out like most panels in these cars.

If you have intermittant issues with the same stations in the same areas, if it is a loose connection I'd guess it would be behind the radio at the adapter, not at the module.
Yes, I'm still using the door subs. I doubt if it's a loose connection at the radio because
I used a GM adapter for the antenna and FM reception is fine.

I'm still thinking it may be a connection at the module, gonna try to pull things apart to take a look.

Drove the car on Saturday to a cruise night, going no AM reception. Coming back, AM
reception all the way home was fine. On Sunday, tried the radio in my garage, FM fine,
no AM at all, just static. Do you think it's heat related, maybe the module needs to warm
up? I drove close to an hour on Saturday going to a cruise, and still no AM but on the way home, no problem. Any thoughts?

Jerry

Last edited by JerG; 05-24-2010 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Update
Old 05-24-2010, 12:37 PM
JerG
Pro

Well I got to the module, PITA to get to. All connections were tight and clean. Now I kind of narrow it down to the antenna connection at the rear window, when I played around with it, I'm pulling in AM stations. When I get some better light, I want to disconnect and clean, what's the best way?

Jerry
Old 05-24-2010, 06:22 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

A loose connection at the glass could be it. For that plug I think your best bet might be to just scribble some scratches onto the spades with a small screw driver. If possible, also try to bend the tabs together more so it has a tighter fit.

Get notified of new replies

To AM reception

Quick Reply: AM reception