Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

2006 Z06 Install: Part 1

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 10:38 AM
crease-guard
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 00Corvette
The guy probably has a better career than stereo install homie..just a guess.
That's a good guess.

Jay
Old 05-13-2011, 07:25 PM
arkus
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Awesome work !!!
Old 05-13-2011, 10:22 PM
rowdymax
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, I was lost 4 pages ago...Is there any room for an 8-track???

I think you should just buy a 4 ton air conditioner, take it apart and throw out any parts you don't think are important and cool those amps down...

Looking at it before the floor in the rear, I hope there isn't 1 wire fouled up...

I had to replace my underhood light the other day and bitched for 15 minutes realizing it hooks above and below the tabs ...

I have had 5 beers reading this and there wasn't one time I doubted you would make all this work...

I hope NASA appreciates you working there and you deserve a raise...

Absolutely incredible Jay...The whole time I have been trying to invision it and came up with what I think it looks like...Great job and look forward to the youtube sound check...

Fantastic install and all the pictures of every step of the way....Your disclaimer should say, "don't try this at home or anywhere else in the world because it won't be duplicated ever again"...
Congrats on an awesome job...
Old 05-13-2011, 10:40 PM
crease-guard
Drifting

Thanks for the kind words.

No there isn't a crevice or hole that doesn't have something crammed into it...no jokes, way too easy

I can tell you the main reason I did not post a build thread until I was at this point was for the very reason I didn't want to get into this entire thing and find out I couldn't make it work. I had my doubts along the way as there were many a day I stood there staring at a completely stripped out 70k car wondering "what the hell have I gotten myself into? Maybe I bit off more than I could chew"

The main thing for me is I had to work out the entire install in my head before I secured the first standoff or wire. I had to know what the end goal was before I started putting anything into place.

I haven't even tuned the system yet. I'm waiting until all the final pieces are in place then I need to get with someone here in the Dallas area that has some real experience with active tuning. I'll supply the beverage of choice as well as the food and equipment and let's get to tuning.

Jay
Old 05-14-2011, 11:36 AM
Bootlegger
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snoopdan
holy c6 wire vomit.
Good quote. I love it!
Old 05-14-2011, 12:13 PM
NickJohnson
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice, Jay!

For your temp. issue, have you taken something along the lines of the Bazooka Chill pack design into consideration? Granted it would require boring into your amp heat sinks, fabricating some misc. aluminum parts bored for heat extraction on your other electronics, etc. and sourcing or making some cosmetically appealing radiators that you can integrate into your design... but that is peanuts compared to how far you have already taken it! Great build.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:40 PM
crease-guard
Drifting

Originally Posted by NickJohnson
Very nice, Jay!

For your temp. issue, have you taken something along the lines of the Bazooka Chill pack design into consideration? Granted it would require boring into your amp heat sinks, fabricating some misc. aluminum parts bored for heat extraction on your other electronics, etc. and sourcing or making some cosmetically appealing radiators that you can integrate into your design... but that is peanuts compared to how far you have already taken it! Great build.
That could be something to consider down the line but for now the goal is to cool the PC. The amps are designed for high heat...allbeit not Texas summer heat. So I'm hoping putting the fan in for the pc might have enough effect on the other parts of the system to keep the temps from getting into thermal protection mode. Plus I can program the fans of the amps to come on at a specified temp and for a specified amount of time.

Jay
Old 07-04-2011, 02:24 PM
Thrash
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 96 Likes on 58 Posts
Tech Contributor

The false floor idea is especially great for we vert owners -with our limited trunk space. Super-sweet mod you accomplished and the most impressive I have seen posted, no doubt. One cooling trick that might help you out is a cooler or two full of beer and ice, another would be an electronics "blower" in-lieu of a fan <CLICK HERE> and you can see how the cooling is more concentrated. Hope this helps -and it is an honor to be on this thread, friggin wild scene ...
Old 07-04-2011, 03:15 PM
crease-guard
Drifting

Thanks for the kudos. My friend should be putting the final surface coat on the fan box today and hopefully I'll have it this week. That is the last piece I really need at this point. I'll be able to do some tests on the cooling and do some data logging on the temps. I will then get the floor painted and a custom mat made.

Jay
Old 07-06-2011, 09:13 PM
BACNBLK
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

All I can say is WOW....that will sound awesome once tuned up
Great job!
Old 09-16-2011, 08:48 PM
C6Tim
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

After retiring from the Army at 37 my second career was computer engineering before retiring again at 50 for good and you lost me somewhere on page one.

I would not have the patience for such a build so my hats off to you Jay. Can't wait to see the final pics. Also, thanks again for the help with the HUD thing.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:50 PM
DubsAndSubs
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WOW, you are a mad man, that is absolutely incredible!! I wish I had just a smidge of your talent!
Old 09-16-2011, 10:36 PM
crease-guard
Drifting

The trick to this install was nothing more than patience and planning.

I actually just put the car in the bigger bay in the garage last night to get started on the final tweaks I need to make. I had to wait for the weather to cool a bit to do the final little tweaks.

I got the fan box installed and had the custom mat for the back made a couple weeks ago. Looks great.

I should have some final pics in the next month or two as I get time to do the final tweaks.

Then, I need to find someone who has experience tuning active systems as I have none.

Jay
Old 09-17-2011, 10:35 AM
CraigE
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

The patience is really going to come in to play once the tuning starts.
It's a good time to start though. Not something you want to do during the summer in Texas.Haha

Here's a quote by Andy Wehmeyer of JBL that I like;

"If I could find more than 4 installers anywhere in the world who could actually tune a car to sound good, then auto-tune wouldn't be so important. Plenty of folks from other companies have tried (and so have I) to teach installers to make cars sound great, but there's just no way to make it possible for consumers to get the right experience predictably. I'd say that if you really want a useful evaluation of the value of any auto-tune, then the comparison shouldn't be between a car tuned by someone who knows how to do it and an auto-tune, but between an auto-tune and a car tuned by someone who has no clue.

In any case, I'm a damn good tuner and I can do a better job than MS-8 for ONE seat, but I have to have a hundred bands of parametric EQ, separate channels for every driver, time alignment and a fully adjustable logic-7 implementation, all pas filter capability, a microphone array a mic preamp with a multiplexer, A PC and two weeks. MS-8 does it in about 2 minutes.

I can't do what MS-8 does for both seats simultaneously no matter what equipment I have in less than a month.

Hmmm...maybe I don't know how to tune cars..."

Last edited by CraigE; 09-17-2011 at 10:38 AM.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:15 AM
crease-guard
Drifting

I've been waiting to do the tuning once I got the second sub box and floor mat installed in the back. Plus I have a few maintainance issues to deal with from the PC standpoint so I needed to wait for it to cool down first.

Jay
Old 09-18-2011, 01:14 PM
Magneson
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Jay, what a great job you do on your Vett. I showed my kids what you can do when you put your mind to something! If you still have your old amps send me a pm I may be interested. I need a little more bump. Thanks again for the in depth write up, I'm sure alot of people will find it helpful
Old 10-09-2011, 10:31 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow what a thread! Epic to say the least!

Get notified of new replies

To 2006 Z06 Install: Part 1

Old 10-10-2011, 05:11 PM
Thrash
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 96 Likes on 58 Posts
Tech Contributor

INCREDIBLE INSTALL!!! (crowd goes wild!!)

BUT ... The OP needs to post photos of the finished A-pillar tweets as well as the finished other areas he covered through the install ... please
Attached Images  
Old 10-10-2011, 05:26 PM
crease-guard
Drifting

Yes, I most definitely will post pics of the final install. I had a few tweaks I needed to do to the install and a couple final little odds and ends to clean up. I got those done. I have two little minor things to tweak and then I 'm updating all the software on the PC and upgrading to the new Centrafuse 4.0. That's a bit of an undertaking to do all that.

I hope within the next couple of weeks I can take several pictures of the finished inside and back and post them up.

Jay
Old 10-11-2011, 01:02 PM
Tarheels1
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the fine thread! It is really inspiring!

Quick Reply: 2006 Z06 Install: Part 1