Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Ok...let me Try This again...

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2002, 02:50 PM
LowFlight
Team Owner

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03, '17
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Ok...let me Try This again...

I know next to nothing about car audio....What I want is to add a sub to my existing Bose WITHOUT the Bose circutry cutting out the BASS when I play it loud. Can it be done and how?

My guy tells me that there are no outs on the BOSE C5 HU :confused: Are the back speakers amplified at all? If not, could I get new speakers for the back and a sub and run those three speakers off of an amp and keep my front speakers running off of the Bose HU. My guy tells me that he can run the Bose Amp and Speakers off of a new Pioneer MP3 HU.

Question 1: Can my Bose HU be used at all?

Question 2: Can a Sub and Rear Speakers be added with an amp with the existing HU or a NEW HU?

It is my understanding that the BOSE amps control the clipping of the bass at higher volume and that the HU is just a standard Delco/Delphi HU and can be used? True or False.

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

[Modified by LowFlight, 4:03 PM 4/10/2002]
Old 04-11-2002, 08:54 AM
LowFlight
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03, '17
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: Ok...let me Try This again... (LowFlight)

I was hoping to get this done this week...hint hint!!!
Old 04-11-2002, 09:35 AM
92TripleBlack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try 99HT. He knows. I know you can wire off the amp though you need to convert it to RCA. It is different from the C4 where you can't.
Old 04-11-2002, 01:44 PM
99HT
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Read my post on upgrading the C5 Bose system. You can add almost anything you want because the HU has pre-amp outputs that go to the BSP and the front and rear Bose Twiddlers are just regular 4 ohm speakers.
Old 04-11-2002, 02:09 PM
RDRH8R
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]I know next to nothing about car audio....What I want is to add a sub to my existing Bose WITHOUT the Bose circutry cutting out the BASS when I play it loud. Can it be done and how?

My guy tells me that there are no outs on the BOSE C5 HU :confused: Are the back speakers amplified at all? If not, could I get new speakers for the back and a sub and run those three speakers off of an amp and keep my front speakers running off of the Bose HU. My guy tells me that he can run the Bose Amp and Speakers off of a new Pioneer MP3 HU.

Question 1: Can my Bose HU be used at all?

Question 2: Can a Sub and Rear Speakers be added with an amp with the existing HU or a NEW HU?

It is my understanding that the BOSE amps control the clipping of the bass at higher volume and that the HU is just a standard Delco/Delphi HU and can be used? True or False.

Here we go
The back speakers are not amplified by a seperate Bose amp. They are amped by the HU. It is not the normal BOSE HU though because it has internal amps to run the rear speakers. So it is quite easy to run an amp off the original HU. You will need to run stepdown off the rear speaker wires (I like the adjustable ones--SNI-35) that will convert the signal to RCA output. The rest is basic amp install Power/Ground/Remote.
If you do change the HU you are looking at lots of labor. The 7" woofers in the doors will not run due to the seperate bose amps at each. I tried to tie them in and while they played they distorted at high volume. Now there is a way to integrate the bose amps into an aftermarket HU (your guy said he could), he reverses the step down process. I have done that but 75% of the time end up with engine noise so unless the customer really wants it I suggest not to do it.
I hoped this helped you some. If you have any other questions feel free to email me. :D
Old 04-11-2002, 02:11 PM
RDRH8R
Instructor

Just read 99ht reply and my system was nothing like that. :confused: :confused: :confused:
Old 04-11-2002, 02:31 PM
LowFlight
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03, '17
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: Ok...let me Try This again... (Readsvette)

How would it sound if I ran RCA off of the back speakers to an amp and sub. I know in my Acura, the system woudl lose all mid range bass because of the bose circut cutting it out. The C5 setup has alot more bass if you compare Stock to Stock C5vsAcura. My question is this: Do you think the Stock C5 setup will sound good at a higher volume with a sub? I know it would improve low end bass at lower volume.
Old 04-11-2002, 04:00 PM
RDRH8R
Instructor

How would it sound if I ran RCA off of the back speakers to an amp and sub. I know in my Acura, the system woudl lose all mid range bass because of the bose circut cutting it out. The C5 setup has alot more bass if you compare Stock to Stock C5vsAcura. My question is this: Do you think the Stock C5 setup will sound good at a higher volume with a sub? I know it would improve low end bass at lower volume.
The rear speakers are playing full range from the HU so there would be no missing freq. Of course it would sound better with some low end. Just think of all the music you are missing those 7" in the door just can not reproduce the low freq like an enclosed sub.
Old 04-11-2002, 05:23 PM
LowFlight
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03, '17
Cruise-In V Veteran

Ok...I am going to order a Stealth box. What Kind of Amp do you guys suggest and where is the best place to get this stuff. Also, what else do I need to go with the Amp and Sub?
Old 04-11-2002, 07:10 PM
99HT
Melting Slicks

Just read 99ht reply and my system was nothing like that. :confused: :confused: :confused:
This post is getting out of control. You can easily do what you want with your system, thousand of others have. READ MY POSTING. Then ask questions. You do not need converters of any kind in the C5 Bose system. NEVER tap any speaker to feed an external power amp. Use the pre-amp outputs on the back of the HU.

The ONLY "special" system ever sold for a C5 was in a few 99 and 2K FRCs. It is a POS non-Bose cassette system. Everyone elso has virtually the same system. There are small differences between coupes and FRC/Verts.
Old 04-12-2002, 04:56 PM
RDRH8R
Instructor

Default Re: Ok...let me Try This again... (99HT)

Let me get this straight. You had Preamp (RCA) outputs on the back of your factory head unit. If so then it is a first in all my eight years in the custom car audio field to hear (well not hear I had heard everything) but to see that. I did buy my car used so the previous owner mighted have swapped radios on me.
Old 04-12-2002, 07:17 PM
LowFlight
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03, '17
Cruise-In V Veteran

Well...I went to my installer and the guy who owns the place has a Denali or Escalade or something which has a radio very similar to ours. He knows excactly how to do what I want done. They are going to add the sub and amp right now, then in a few monts, I am going to add another 4 channel amp and Boston acustic Pro Speakers and a Alpine or Pioneer Premier MP3 head unit. I went with an MTX 12 and MTX amp. They are also wiring it for the head unit and extra amp and speakers. The whole thing will eventually cost $2300 roughly. :)
Old 04-12-2002, 09:19 PM
99HT
Melting Slicks

Let me get this straight. You had Preamp (RCA) outputs on the back of your factory head unit. If so then it is a first in all my eight years in the custom car audio field to hear (well not hear I had heard everything) but to see that. I did buy my car used so the previous owner mighted have swapped radios on me.
Where did I say that? You need to tap the existing wiring harness with two cables made from an RCA-RCA jumper. Read my post, then ask questions.
Old 04-13-2002, 03:51 PM
RDRH8R
Instructor

Default Re: Ok...let me Try This again... (99HT)

Use the pre-amp outputs on the back of the HU.

Get notified of new replies

To Ok...let me Try This again...

Quick Reply: Ok...let me Try This again...