Notices
Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

C5 Rear speaker replacement procedure

Old 04-25-2002, 08:23 PM
gnosys
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 Rear speaker replacement procedure

Thanks to FRCTX99, I got my covers off and managed to install better 6.5 inch speakers in my Coupe's rear today. The secret was to pull harder than I thought was reasonable to get those dam covers off! Then the next hurdle is the fourth screw that some GM nimrod decided to put at the top, above the inside panel. I had to pop the panel loose and even then it was very difficult to remove that fourth screw! Anyway, got it out and decided to forget about putting the new one in that position - it only needs three to hold it anyway.
Here's a little of my analysis that led to my purchase decision. BTW, I have a 2500 dollar audio system in my Maxima with Boston Accoustic speakers and sub, three amps, and a good Sony head unit. But, obviously, the Blose system in our C5's falls short, right? The biggest problem is those rear speakers. The front units are really OK, and sound pretty good, but the rears don't add any value to the system. I decided to go cheap on the rears; I wanted an improved sound, but knew the fronts would be doing most of the work. I listened to the selection at Walmart and found a Pioneer, Mdl TS-A1664 for 70 bucks that fit the bill. These are a direct bolt-in replacement for the truly horrific Blose units the General saw fit to put in a 50K sports car :U And, they sound pretty good.
Now, with the fade control at about 10-11 AM, I have some depth to the sound and what's coming from the back is decent. The whole system is transformed. Pink Floyd's The Wall was 85 per cent of what it should sound like. Still no truly deep bass, of course, but whaddya want? There's no sub in the system, and I probably won't add one.
Anyway, thought others might like to know about a really good use of 70 bucks if they don't want to go further with the stock Blose unit.
:cheers: :seeya :cheers:
Old 04-25-2002, 09:10 PM
dba4life
CF Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: C5 Rear speaker replacement procedure (gnosys)

I had the exact same problem with the top bolt...my solution was the same as well..only use 3 on the new speakers. I used some infinity 652i with the tweeter that you can move. I also found that putting the fader at 10:30 sounded best.
Old 05-09-2019, 01:09 PM
NOS2006
CF Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dba4life View Post
I had the exact same problem with the top bolt...my solution was the same as well..only use 3 on the new speakers. I used some infinity 652i with the tweeter that you can move. I also found that putting the fader at 10:30 sounded best.
This is an old thread, but I thought I’d share a tip that worked for me. I swapped in a set of speakers I found in my garage, and agree with the 10:30 position on the fader.

After trial & error on the first side, I finally found a method that allowed me to install a speaker on the other side in 20 minutes start to finish with all 4 screws!

Use a flathead screwdriver to "lift" the panel so you can access that top screw with a wrench for removal. Then, for install, I have slotted holes on my aftermarket speaker, so hand starting the screw (again, using a flathead to create extra space) allowed me to slip the speaker in then tighten after.

I wouldn't say this was a significant upgrade, but I'm happy with the result since it was only a little work (did this on my lunch break) and zero dollars out of pocket.

Last edited by NOS2006; 05-09-2019 at 01:10 PM.
Old 05-09-2019, 03:27 PM
larney

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So the speaker grill just pulls out? I was thinking the whole 1/4 panel trim piece needed to be removed.
Did you just pry it out?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C5 Rear speaker replacement procedure

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: