Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

The "Real" Mon-Star Speaker Wires ...

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 05:22 PM
Thrash
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 96 Likes on 58 Posts
Tech Contributor

Default The "Real" Mon-Star Speaker Wires ...

Dang, I just received my speaker wire order from KnuKonceptz, and all I can say is WOW. This is 12 gauge, twisted in a solid molded jacket (eliminates noise and interference) -and is the most solid speaker wire I ever saw. Picture shows it next to 14 gauge Monster wire - so sad (the Monster spool there is up for grabs, just pay me the shipping).

The Knu seems thicker than the 12 to 14 gauge difference, and did I mention that it was twisted in a solid jacket? Also shown is the protective wire pants from Knu, and they fit nice & snug ... So now I can start my Mon-Star install starting tomorrow ...
Attached Images  
Old 12-12-2011, 06:30 PM
lionelc5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same stuff, quality wire. It is a bit of over kill, but at the price why not.

LionelC
Old 12-12-2011, 06:56 PM
Thrash
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by lionelc5
I have the same stuff, quality wire. It is a bit of over kill, but at the price why not.

LionelC

It wasn't overkill -as a bigger pipe flows better, but they did not offer a 14 gauge ... and they even had 8 & 10 gauge speaker wire
Old 12-12-2011, 10:49 PM
trayack
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Told ya Knu was good stuff. As stated before, I ONLY use Knukonceptz products now.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:50 PM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Received 630 Likes on 346 Posts

Knu has good stuff.....and I just ordered a BUNCH of it for my install in the coming weeks.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:59 AM
Thrash
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by trayack
Told ya Knu was good stuff. As stated before, I ONLY use Knukonceptz products now.
Yes you did ... and I got those batt clamps too! Thanks for the great lead ... but the speaker wire is whacked, as are the cute little pants!
Attached Images  
Old 12-22-2011, 02:38 AM
taahring1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the only thing monster about monster cable is the price...amazing how much better stuff you can get cheaper when they dont have to cover tons of marketing and pretty packaging costs
the knu 0 gauge power cables are insane as well something like 5100 strand count i think
Old 12-22-2011, 09:49 AM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by taahring1
the only thing monster about monster cable is the price...amazing how much better stuff you can get cheaper when they dont have to cover tons of marketing and pretty packaging costs
the knu 0 gauge power cables are insane as well something like 5100 strand count i think
very true.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:00 AM
TBonez
2005 Beast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

wow the stuff they have out today compared to back in the 90's ...amazing...
Old 12-22-2011, 11:16 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 210 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Does it have smaller conductors braided around the outside of a larger center section stranded braid/twist?

Look up "skinning effect". High freqs travel on the outside and lows up the center.

This kind of stuff is pretty esoteric and usually a bunch of BS, but I actually heard it demo'd years ago in a recording studio.

Of course I could hear with a bit more definition in those days and it's probably silly for car audio considerations, unless you park in an anechoic chamber.
Old 12-23-2011, 04:20 PM
Thrash
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by **** Jockey
Does it have smaller conductors braided around the outside of a larger center section stranded braid/twist?

Look up "skinning effect". High freqs travel on the outside and lows up the center.

This kind of stuff is pretty esoteric and usually a bunch of BS, but I actually heard it demo'd years ago in a recording studio.

Of course I could hear with a bit more definition in those days and it's probably silly for car audio considerations, unless you park in an anechoic chamber.

Supposedly, the twisted pairs minimize noise in the signal. This 12 gauge's strands are all the same through each leg, I'm not going to count the strands, but it's a bunch ...
Old 12-23-2011, 09:38 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Thrash
Supposedly, the twisted pairs minimize noise in the signal. This 12 gauge's strands are all the same through each leg, I'm not going to count the strands, but it's a bunch ...
Hey Bill, I just got the same wires (and pants) for the audio makeover that I'm getting ready to do.

Thanks for the heads up. Good stuff.

Maybe overkill but it will make me feel better to know that I have very good 'stuff'.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:08 PM
Kale
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

are they actually copper or are they copper clad aluminum?

Noise isn't an issue with speaker wire.

twisted pair means more than wires wrapped together - despite what car audio companies would have you believe.

Last edited by Kale; 12-24-2011 at 12:10 PM.
Old 12-24-2011, 11:10 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Kale

twisted pair means more than wires wrapped together - despite what car audio companies would have you believe.
Here is the description form the KnuKoneptz website and a photo of the 12 gauge speaker wire.

Karma 12 Gauge Speaker Cable - Eliminate bad vibes to your speakers with Karma SS Kable from KnuKonceptz. These Tinned Oxygen Free Copper speaker cables provide superior resistance to noise compared to conventional speaker wire. The wire actually will repel noise due to its twisted construction. Each conductor is composed of 294 strands of the finest copper for superb audio accuracy and flexibility. Each strand has been tinned. The tin contributes to a better sound quality by minimizing the skin-effect (lowering the current jumps between the wire surfaces).

Old 12-25-2011, 12:02 PM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Kale

I think they look nicer
Old 12-31-2011, 11:16 AM
sublime1996525
Team Owner

Received 200 Likes on 77 Posts

I'm marking this so I can find it later

Get notified of new replies

To The "Real" Mon-Star Speaker Wires ...

Quick Reply: The "Real" Mon-Star Speaker Wires ...