Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

New radio question

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 04:56 AM
Navy Chief
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New radio question

I have a 2007 3lt c6, that I took to get looked at for a new stereo. The guy looked at it and immediately told me that they couldn't do the job and not very many people can. I asked why and he said the "brains" of the car were connected to the stereo and if wired wrong it could mess allot of things up. Now I'm not a stereo guru but this doesn't sound right. What do you guys say about this?
All I need is a stereo with Nav, Bluetooth for my iPod, and hands free calling (and one that can display pictures). I was looking at a jvc kwav60bt, any opinions and or suggestions? I have about a $350-400.00 budget.
Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:37 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

Anyone with a T15 screwdriver, 7mm socket, and just a tiny bit of knowledge can do it

All you need is the right interface adapter and its plug n play.

If you have onstar:

http://shop.doubledmods.com/OS-2C-BO...?categoryId=-1

Non onstar:

http://shop.doubledmods.com/C2R-GM24-c2r-gm24.htm

You also need an antenna adapter and a plastic mounting bracket/trim ring.

Where are you located?
Old 04-02-2012, 08:27 AM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by Navy Chief
I have a 2007 3lt c6, that I took to get looked at for a new stereo. The guy looked at it and immediately told me that they couldn't do the job and not very many people can. I asked why and he said the "brains" of the car were connected to the stereo and if wired wrong it could mess allot of things up. Now I'm not a stereo guru but this doesn't sound right. What do you guys say about this?
All I need is a stereo with Nav, Bluetooth for my iPod, and hands free calling (and one that can display pictures). I was looking at a jvc kwav60bt, any opinions and or suggestions? I have about a $350-400.00 budget.

your not going to get a double din radio with built in NAV and everything your going to need to install for 350-400.00

The JVC kwav60bt does NOT have NAV built into it so that radio is not going to be what your looking for.

This is my suggestion for you at 899.99 for everything you will need to install.

http://shop.doubledmods.com/C6-Corve...T-C6940PKG.htm

PS
My son is in the Navy

Originally Posted by markcz
Anyone with a T15 screwdriver, 7mm socket, and just a tiny bit of knowledge can do it

All you need is the right interface adapter and its plug n play.

If you have onstar:

http://shop.doubledmods.com/OS-2C-BO...?categoryId=-1

Non onstar:

http://shop.doubledmods.com/C2R-GM24-c2r-gm24.htm

You also need an antenna adapter and a plastic mounting bracket/trim ring.

Where are you located?
Thanks Mark

Last edited by Double D Mods; 04-02-2012 at 08:31 AM.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:19 AM
grab33
Intermediate

i have a 2006 looking for similar equiptment what would installation run on that unit also do you know any installers that you can recommend in the fort wayne, indiana area

thanks, mike g
Old 04-02-2012, 11:38 AM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by grab33
i have a 2006 looking for similar equiptment what would installation run on that unit also do you know any installers that you can recommend in the fort wayne, indiana area

thanks, mike g
we can prewire these to make it super easy for you to install as well
Old 04-02-2012, 02:49 PM
Navy Chief
Advanced

Thanks for all the replies. I am located in Las Cruces, NM so not many choices here. I'll read the links and go from there. Thanks again!

Hooyaah Navy!
Old 04-02-2012, 11:31 PM
v8rx7com
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Navy Chief
If you have an "Iphone" (not ipod)... you might want to look at Pioneer’s Appradio.

With an Iphone you can use a navigation app for navigation

without an Iphone, the Ipod integration is good,

The Appradio doesn’t have a disc player (if that matters to you)

it’s a double din touch screen in your price range @ $350
Old 04-03-2012, 02:25 AM
Navy Chief
Advanced

V8rx7com,

That radio sound interesting and might be the perfect. I have an iPhone and don't really use cd's anymore. I'll check it out. Thanks.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:03 AM
ctaylor1432
Advanced

I've been thinking about that appradio but worried about if I'm in an area with no cell reception, I think you'll lose the GPS map. Also streaming music on long trips (pandora) can start to take its tole on data use.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:33 PM
Navy Chief
Advanced

Ctaylor - good points you bring up. I guess I'll have to bump up my budget (fathers day is on the way) and keep looking. Thanks again all for the help, advice, and replies.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:21 PM
v8rx7com
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by ctaylor1432
I've been thinking about that appradio but worried about if I'm in an area with no cell reception, I think you'll lose the GPS map.
I hadn’t thought about the possibility of losing the navigation in poor cell coverage areas until your post.

But it looks like it will still work according to statement below from MotionX (GPS app):

Q: “Does MotionX-GPS require a cellular network?”

Cellular coverage is not needed to acquire a signal, however the signal acquisition will be much quicker if you have data coverage. Without data services, it can take 15 minutes or longer to acquire a signal. This is simply because it takes longer to determine which satellites to use out of the 31 available around the world. With data services, it typically takes under a minute, but can take up to 5 min.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:35 PM
ctaylor1432
Advanced

Right, I'm not sure about motionx but maps will show a blue dot on your screen but no map if you don't have data to update the map screen. I assume motionx works the same way since I don't think their whole map system is downloaded to your phone.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:57 PM
rebel97
4th Gear

I just installed the AppRadio 2 (around $450.00) in my '05 C6. Here's the thing about the GPS apps. Although the apps do reside on your IPhone, location is picked up with a GPS Antenna located on the AppRadio itself. When using the Motion X nav app you are not using data from your plan. And I am pretty sure this is the same for the other AppRadio nav apps.

The AR 2 (AppRadio SPH-DA100) has just been released, has a 7 inch screen cost about $450.00

The AR 1 (SPH-DA02) is a carry over from last year with a 6.1 inch screen and cost around $300.00. Not quite as many features as the AR 2 but falls nicely in your budget.

IMHO either of these would work very well for you, and the Motion X nav app is excellent.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:48 PM
Navy Chief
Advanced

Rebel,

Thanks for your input, I'll check it out.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:42 AM
tampatopless
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am purchasing a Pioneer 2400BT for my kid for about $300 that has bluebooth, great screen, great iPhone/iPod functionality. It does not have NAV, however. But the iPhone he will be hooking it up does. It's also a Double Din.

I also looked at similar JVC, Kenwood and Sony units and the Pioneer App Radio. I stayed away from the App Radio, which sounded perfect, because it got such poor reviews. Of all the units, the Sony actually SOUNDED the best, but playback in a store has so many variables. The Sony and the Kenwood cost a little more and just about everyone I talked to liked Pioneer over the other brands.

However, there was no doubt the Sony had the best screen resolution. The resolution on that screen was almost 1.5 times the resolution of the other units.

A lot of people had problems with those App radios. You can get the App Radio 1 on sale for about $199 on the Internet. That's because Pioneer has come out with App Radio 2, which works also with Droid as well as iPhone.

Last edited by tampatopless; 04-28-2012 at 07:44 AM.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:08 AM
rebel97
4th Gear

To answer an earlier question, my install was $95 on my '05 C6. To me this was well worth the money because of GPS antenna and bluetooth mic placement. Also consol removeal and the wiring that was involved.

Also I want to stress that the AppRadio is different from almost all other head units on the market today, and it works different. I do admit it isn't perfect, but for the price it is a very full featured radio.

If you have an AppRadio print and read through the owners manual, this will answer almost questions you may have.

I have had very good luck with my AR 2 (SPH-DA100). I'm not sure why all the other issues with the other owners.

Get notified of new replies

To New radio question

Quick Reply: New radio question